Scope mount question?

hunter 85

I just mounted a 3-15x50 30mm scope on my browning bar with medium rings and while sighting it in I ran out of up adjustment and hitting 3/4-1/2 inch low at a hundred yards. I went with the med so I did not have to use a cheek riser, I have never ran into this issue and was wondering what my options are. Will I just have to go to taller rings or will I have to scrape rings and base to go to an offset base with taller rings? Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

Gator89

As long as the objective is not in contact with the barrel of the rifle, there should be no need for higher rings. Higher rings should not be required to raise the point of impact, just simply facilitate physical clearance of objective and barrel.

what brand of scope?

Post a picture of the set up, if you can.

hunter 85

It is a Burris veracity I had the scope originally on a win m70 that I punched paper with but it was mounted with a 1913 rail with a 25 deg offset and x high rings to clear barrel

My simple suggestion would be this.... Loosen the back ring base screws (the ones that hold the rear ring to the base) I'd also loosen the ring top screws. Its possible that the slots and screws for the rings are not aligned quite right.

Please do not take offense. I've mounted way over 100 scopes, Heck maybe 200+. And, I mounted a similar base & ring set a week or so ago and found this silly issue myself as I checked everything.

Reactions: Dub

Lilly001

Where the mounts new, or reused? Both the same brand?
I once mounted one with two different height rings.
I keep a bag of old rings and I sometime mess things up.
But that's just me.:cheers:

Lilly001

I once mounted one with the windage turret on the top and the elevation turret on the left side.
I get distracted sometimes.

transfixer

Sounds odd to me, I can't see taller rings making a difference, I've heard of people having to shim a mount base before, so I guess you could try shimming the rear base, but I don't like that idea personally, I'd try a different brand of mounts and if the result is the same, then I would think something is out of whack internally with the scope.

hunter 85

My simple suggestion would be this.... Loosen the back ring base screws (the ones that hold the rear ring to the base) I'd also loosen the ring top screws. Its possible that the slots and screws for the rings are not aligned quite right.

Please do not take offense. I've mounted way over 100 scopes, Heck maybe 200+. And, I mounted a similar base & ring set a week or so ago and found this silly issue myself as I checked everything.
No offense at all taken and will check that. I would never have thought that could be an issue or not

hunter 85

Where the mounts new, or reused? Both the same brand?
I once mounted one with two different height rings.
I keep a bag of old rings and I sometime mess things up.
But that's just me.:cheers:
Mount was old and has been on the rifle and was untouched with this install and the rings were new

Lilly001

I think Burris makes rings with inserts in them that allow you to fidget with the alignment.
They would probaly be better than chasing a ghost if you don't find the cause soon.

nmurph

If scope bell is giving you a couple of millimeters of clearance on the barrel, then there is no need to go higher. The lower the scope sits to the bore axis, the better.

WishboneW

I have one of those on a 700 ADL with Talley rings. There is an adjustment you can make to increase your adjustment range. Re read the directions with the scope again. I had to a couple times. Will get to mine this weekend and advise if you have not resolved it.

hunter 85

If scope bell is giving you a couple of millimeters of clearance on the barrel, then there is no need to go higher. The lower the scope sits to the bore axis, the better.
Yes there is clearance of the bell to the barrel I took pictures but it won’t let me post as the file is to large

hunter 85

I have one of those on a 700 ADL with Talley rings. There is an adjustment you can make to increase your adjustment range. Re read the directions with the scope again. I had to a couple times. Will get to mine this weekend and advise if you have not resolved it.
Ok I will look into that