Scratching the itch #1

sportsman94

Figured I’d start a thread to post some trapline pics from the first property this year. Got 8 sets in day 1. Was gonna set everything yesterday, but ended up waking up at 2am with a fever. Went out and set what I could before I was tired of feeling like a coyote **** and went home. Had about 22 sets in as of yesterday. Check day 2 had two young cats. One in a blind set, one in a dirt hole

IMG_8969.jpeg

IMG_8971.png

2dye4

Figured I’d start a thread to post some trapline pics from the first property this year. Got 8 sets in day 1. Was gonna set everything yesterday, but ended up waking up at 2am with a fever. Went out and set what I could before I was tired of feeling like a coyote **** and went home. Had about 22 sets in as of yesterday. Check day 2 had two young cats. One in a blind set, one in a dirt hole

View attachment 1276483

View attachment 1276484
I wish I could catch some cats.

deerslayer357

I set a handful of traps this morning to see if I can catch some coyotes. Set 3 dirt hole sets and 2 flat sets, then a trap on side of brush pile with a deer hide nailed to a stump.
I used a combination of deer organs and dove remnants for bait, along with yote urine for an attractant.

Attachments

• IMG_2667.jpeg
    IMG_2667.jpeg
    546.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2668.jpeg
    IMG_2668.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2669.jpeg
    IMG_2669.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2670.jpeg
    IMG_2670.jpeg
    545.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2671.jpeg
    IMG_2671.jpeg
    562.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2672.jpeg
    IMG_2672.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2673.jpeg
    IMG_2673.jpeg
    517.6 KB · Views: 30

sportsman94

I set a handful of traps this morning to see if I can catch some coyotes. Set 3 dirt hole sets and 2 flat sets, then a trap on side of brush pile with a deer hide nailed to a stump.
I used a combination of deer organs and dove remnants for bait, along with yote urine for an attractant.
If you do have buzzard problems you can cut that hide into 2” squares and nail them to the ground, cover with a little dirt leaving only a corner exposed. As it is, that’s a set I use often for cats using a beaver or some other carcass. Wire it to a tree, cover the top with pine bows so it’s not seen from above, and block off all access besides where your traps are. If you are short on tracks, wire it to the tree and wait til it gets hit before setting it. Cats like to cover the carcass and I’ve had them scratch up Pinestraw in a 10 yard circle even though the carcass was 3’ up a tree and they didn’t cover it at all. Come back and collect a bobcat!

deerslayer357

I have a coon carcass and beaver carcass that a bobcat buried on the other end of the property- may very well catch a bobcat instead of yote there, but that would be okay also. Mainly Just trying to start reducing turkey predators. Coons, coyotes, and bobcats are all targets, although coons are mostly trapped with dogproofs.

deerslayer357

That deer hide will be buzzard central before night fall.
They haven’t bothered it yet, probably due to the cloud cover today, but you may be onto something. Was just trying something a little different, and the way the brush pile lays it looked like a natural spot to have to step to get to the bait there.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member

View attachment 1276483

View attachment 1276484
Nice cats ! You aren’t gonna share JoJos new pet ?

sportsman94

Predators kicked my tail and I pulled traps today. Caught a fox on a blind set on Thursday that I didn’t take a picture of. I set on a bunch of sign, and only a little bit showed back up. My scented sets were completely dead (except for maybe one or two) since I set. Today, about half had been worked. How it goes I guess. I’ll come back to this property later if I have the time

IMG_9031.jpeg

2dye4

Predators kicked my tail and I pulled traps today. Caught a fox on a blind set on Thursday that I didn’t take a picture of. I set on a bunch of sign, and only a little bit showed back up. My scented sets were completely dead (except for maybe one or two) since I set. Today, about half had been worked. How it goes I guess. I’ll come back to this property later if I have the time

View attachment 1278106
I pulled all mine this morning as well. Changing up locations. They’re on to me and got to fool them again after all the rain.

sportsman94

I got 10 sets out around the house two days ago. Need to add about a dozen more as I have time. Found a bobcat waiting on me this morning. Need some coyote action soon. I think I have traps set in cursed areas. Yall have any of those? I have one. A narrow crossover between two large ag fields, a pond, and a creek. The perfect pinch point. Normally loaded down with scat and tracks. Rocky and tough to get a trap set in. Been trying to catch a coyote on it for years. I’ve caught them in the ag fields on both sides, but never the actual crossover. Had 5-6 piles of scat when I pulled up to it and I couldn’t help myself. After all, I’m a glutton for punishment. Punched in a flat set and a blind set on the crossover. Two dirt sets on the field on the other side. Hoping I can break the curse

IMG_9036.png

sportsman94

I’ve caught more possums so far this year than I probably have in the last several years combined. Predators have been slow still. Seems like they are just minimally interested in sets. One sniff visits and I’m not good enough to catch them on that first step! Starting to put in some different style sets to see if I can change my luck

IMG_9071.pngIMG_9080.jpegIMG_9082.jpegIMG_9076.jpeg

cj580guitar

deerslayer357

So I have been running my line- had bait stolen 2x from a dirt hole set that I set on a natural dirt hole- second time I know the traps were frozen.

I have caught several coon and possums in dogproofs (10 in 2 weeks of having them set), but these yotes are kicking my tail.

Latest posts