Self processing tips.

campboy

I've had your results with a cheap grinder, which is why my first post said wait until you can get a good one. Deer, pork butt, didn't matter what I was grinding I had to stop and clean it out every so often. I haven't had to do that since upgrading and nothing has changed in preparation. If you have a really good grinder, then yes something is very wrong.
My friend is going to let me try his grinder. So we’ll see how that works

Hillbilly stalker

Double check your blade. It looks like they go in one way….but they actually go in the other. The flat side goes toward the chute and the plate, I’ve caught myself several times turned around. I have a cheap grinder but it easily handles a dozen deer a year for several years now.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Grind it
This is what frustrates me about processing my own. I don’t have much time to hunt let alone process my own. I’ll keep trying I guess
Piece meal it brother, little at a time, just keep it on ice as you go.

bany

This is what frustrates me about processing my own. I don’t have much time to hunt let alone process my own. I’ll keep trying I guess
The lower leg parts are best left whole and cooked in an insta pot or pressure cooker. On the bone or not. Your pic shows a tell tale sign of too much sinew.

WOODIE13

Mine shreds the hocks, all depends on what you want.

WOODIE13

Grind or can...can it, same as a slow cooker with a wait for a meal

tbrown913

Man, I've been processing my own for almost 20 years. Probably have done 150 plus between mine and families.

1) don't kill too many deer at one time. I once killed 8 deer in 3 days. I spend a ridiculous amount of time removing all the silver stuff I can, even though the grinder will chew it up and make it not noticeable. I still remove as much as I can. Took me 14 hours just to trim the meat that time.

2) Buy a taller table like the fish cleaning tables with sink built in. It will save your back and shoulders.

3) buy a good electronic scale and at least 3 meat tubs. Write the tare weight on the tub for when you forget and want to get the math right for fat %.

4) the right equipment is key to willing to do it long term. I bought a cabelas commercial grade 3/4 hp grinder and have loved it for 20 years. The foot pedal is also amazing. Good knives, good knife sharpener. If you make any sausage buy a stuffer. The ice pack for the grinder is also really nice when doing anything with pork fat. I bought a meat mixer, used it once and messed up the meat for summer sausage by overmixing and never used again. The cube steak attachment, a good commercial vacuum sealer, a bag tape apparatus or hog ring pliers are important too.

5) make hamburger last. You will inevitably have some trimmings from something to add to that pile. I've done burger first, then made cubed steak and had some pieces that wouldn't work and should have just gone to the grind pile.