Self processing tips.

gb1194

Lots of good info here. Nothing I can really add that hasn’t been said except maybe get a foot pedal for your grinder, makes it mostly hands free for starting/stopping. Also, get you a Hank Hammonds blade or two for skinning and trimming, none better.

Processing my own deer is lots of work with all the cutting, grinding, packaging and cleanup but I actually enjoy it. Also like knowing that the end product that I share with my family is handled the right way.

bany

No the blade was in correctly. But someone mentioned sharpening. I may try that and freezing the grinder parts and keeping the meat colder
That’s probably the sinew. I quit trying to grind those cuts and I put them in the instapot or might be jerky.

bany

Our latest little Trick.
Queen Bee weighs the ground out using a paper plate on a scale. She then folds the plate, sticks it in the bag and lets the meat drop in. This keeps the bag and other stuff clean, especially for sealing.

bany

Probably more cut hands and fingers from using dull knives than sharp ones!

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
That’s probably the sinew. I quit trying to grind those cuts and I put them in the instapot or might be jerky.
The old man that taught me many always said; "If you can't stick your finger thru it, it won't eat good".

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nic I still use a bottle . I freeze my steak without cubing and do it one pack at a time when I’m ready to eat it
Same here, I cube it with a big heavy metal meat hammer right before I cook it. Works great.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When storing ground, vacuum pack and flatten out in the storage bag. Easier to stack in the freezer and thaw when ready to cook.
Yes, this makes a huge difference.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A set of bypass loppers at the skinning shed makes quick work of shanks, pelvis and ribs when breaking one down.
I just disjoint the hams at the ball joint while it's hanging, leave the pelvis on the skeleton.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This is my problem
View attachment 1274005
Clogging after just a few minutes of grinding
Something really wrong going on there. If the blade is in with the flat side toward the plate, then it must be horribly dull. And as others have said, looks like a lot of connective tissue left on the meat, but I don't think that's the main problem. That is a grinder issue.
I usually run mine through the coarse plate first, then through the fine plate.

nix03

Meat needs to be trimmed more before grinding. Deer fat, sinew, glands, and tendons will clog a grinder. The worst part about it is those substances make deer taste terrible. It’s a lot of work but all that has to be trimmed off.
I think i spend to much time trimming but i cant stand all that in my meat.