Self processing tips.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
75% of my time from start to finish when processing a deer goes into trimming.
Probably the same here.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Buy the cheapest fattiest bacon in the store and use it to make your burger.
That would be sausage. Not burger. If you want burger, use brisket or other beef fat.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I read in here somewhere about how long it takes you . I done one this morning . 2 shoulders, 2 hams, neck and one backstrap. Only ground and steak , 2 and a half hours , including clean up and washing cooler
A little extra effort prepping in the field can save you time processing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
i think its called bacon burger and its really really good
I've tried it and don't care for it at all. I love bacon and I love burger, but when you mix them together in ground form like meatloaf, it does something to the flavor that I just don't like myself. Some folks love it, though. I use pork fat for deer sausage, and if I put fat in burger, it's beef fat.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Great thread !

175rltw

BANNED
I've tried it and don't care for it at all. I love bacon and I love burger, but when you mix them together in ground form like meatloaf, it does something to the flavor that I just don't like myself. Some folks love it, though. I use pork fat for deer sausage, and if I put fat in burger, it's beef fat.
I’m with you. Bacon supposed to be crispy and burger not supposed to be smoky it’s supposed. To be charred and juicy you compromise both the bacon and the burger when you mix them. Love the crispy bacon on a juicy charred medium rare burger tho.

I know tons of guys love bacon burger but tons of guys will tell you that deer simmered in camels creem of mushroom is the best ever too so… you have to understand they believe what they’re saying - but- it ain’t so.

sportsman94

I read in here somewhere about how long it takes you . I done one this morning . 2 shoulders, 2 hams, neck and one backstrap. Only ground and steak , 2 and a half hours , including clean up and washing cooler
Probably 30 mins a piece on the shoulders though! Next time just shoot them threw the shoulders and shoot twice as many haha

bany

Nothing beats ribeye fat. 1 lb to 10 lbs venison.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Keep the fat cap when trimming your brisket, rib roast, etc. Vac seal and then use when you grind your venison to add fat. Butcher at your local market will also sell (sometimes give) you some beef fat from trimming.

I pre-season and form patties with about half my ground, and then vac seal with a piece of wax paper between the patties, into packages of 2. Makes for easy thawing and grilling. 1 tablespoon of Montreal Steak Seasoning per pound of meat.

bany

Probably 30 mins a piece on the shoulders though! Next time just shoot them threw the shoulders and shoot twice as many haha
I hate the shoulders!! But I might be 10-15 minutes from whole to ready to grind.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
To those that take their deer "hair on" to the processor and want to start DIY,
first step is to learn to efficiently skin a deer.
I had a rather unusual approach.
Hang deer by back legs and cut hide down the belly/chest from tail to throat patch.
Make another cut down the back from tail to back of head.
I could then skin 1/2 of the deer at a time without moving or having to spin the deer around.
You would be surprised how much time and how many steps this saves.

Caveat: If you plan on a shoulder mount this is not the right method.

bany

And you can rip inside and outside on the front legs then ring it. Then pull away from you toward the deer, before you skin the rest of it.

specialk

Nothing beats ribeye fat. 1 lb to 10 lbs venison.

my cousin owns a seal coating biz, one of his clients owns a steak house that trims their own steaks, he gets all the trimmed fat each week and freezes it, then mixes it in his deer during deer season.....and you are right, he has the best grilled deer burgers around...

campboy

Something really wrong going on there. If the blade is in with the flat side toward the plate, then it must be horribly dull. And as others have said, looks like a lot of connective tissue left on the meat, but I don't think that's the main problem. That is a grinder issue.
I usually run mine through the coarse plate first, then through the fine plate.
This is what frustrates me about processing my own. I don’t have much time to hunt let alone process my own. I’ll keep trying I guess

B. White

This is what frustrates me about processing my own. I don’t have much time to hunt let alone process my own. I’ll keep trying I guess

I've had your results with a cheap grinder, which is why my first post said wait until you can get a good one. Deer, pork butt, didn't matter what I was grinding I had to stop and clean it out every so often. I haven't had to do that since upgrading and nothing has changed in preparation. If you have a really good grinder, then yes something is very wrong.