Seminole Co. Ramblings

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
At the rate the lake is going the end of my dock will be dry land real soon. I can remember when it was a good four feet deep out at the end. Now it`s maybe a foot deep.

cowhornedspike

At the rate the lake is going the end of my dock will be dry land real soon. I can remember when it was a good four feet deep out at the end. Now it`s maybe a foot deep.
Lakes do that over time...people with excavator sevices love this natural phenomenon...

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I received an email saying spraying was to happen in Turkey Pond last week. I haven't seen anyone doing anything, yet. Can't say I blame them, it's so hot and humid with gnats. Spraying would be a chore even on water. The email also said grass carp would be stocked at the end of Oct. My pontoon is sitting pretty solid on vegetation, but I do have about four feet of water at the end of the dock. But only because the boat keeps blowing sediment out when used, going and coming. I don't have anything against any fish while it's this miserable outside.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Water at the end of my dock and under the boathouse I about 6 inches deep. Solid greenery from the dock out about 30 feet. I tried to bulldog my way into it a little while ago and there just wasn't enough water. First time in 40 years that I couldn't get to it. There was a huge grass carp piddling around but he didn't look hungry.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Problem with grass carp is, people feed them.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Shucks, had to log back in, been thrown out......lol
My club has been dormant during bow season, only one member hunted three sittings. He's after bucks only. I bow hunted for many years in Florida, Alabama and Georgia with others who were serious bow hunters. The people who are interested in joining hunting clubs these days are not interested it seems. All year they have excuses as to why they can't get to the club to help with any of the work. Management is important, the camp needs to be kept up. But when modern gun opens, those excuses go away and they are there all the time. Don't know about other clubs but in my club it's all about sitting in a blind watching corn. Not my kind of hunting, I like to get in the woods with them and outsmart old bucks. No matter how many members a club has, only two or three will do all the work so everyone can have a great season. That's how deer hunting is today, a far cry from how we used to do it.
I've been mowing our roads, plots and repairing or relocating blinds. Most everything I do in camp or in the woods is for the benefit for every member. I wish everyone would do the same, but that's wishing and we know how that goes. At 81 and 6 months old I'm the oldest person in the club. I've had this Ga club for 37 years now.

Attachments

• Son Sr. taking a break.jpg
    Son Sr. taking a break.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 16

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Now about Lake Seminole. The lake has been low since May and is the lowest it's been today. My pontoon boat was sitting so solid on vegetation that it took some power from the 60 hp to pull it off. Looks to be down almost two feet in Turkey Pond where my dock is. I mow hydrilla out to the big lake, and mow back in to the dock. Having to reverse often to clear the prop. Discussing this with folks on Lake Seminole Pan fishing on FB, Many are thinking about selling out and leaving. There is a fellow heading up an organization called Stewards of Lake Seminole. Claiming to get help from individuals, the Corp etc, to help clean the lake up. So far I've seen some channels cleared of downed trees, some spraying in Spring Creek and that's about it. Huge areas of Rays Lake, Lewis Pond and Lake Seminole look like a lawn with surfaced hydrilla. All that hydrilla will die and sink in place. The more vegetation in an area, the more silt it collects. And that eventually reduces depth of water. I tie my boat to the dock and blow the area in front of my dock now and then or I wouldn't have any depth. The county taxes me saying I'm in a resort area. Eventually they've never been to one. I told them to take a bus, Panama city isn't too far.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
It was claimed Turkey Pond was sprayed, I don't see any evidence of that. But have noticed I'm not seeing any fish of any size at my dock now and the water is cloudy. Only positive thing is, we can now see the stumps that are usually under the surface.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lake Seminole is down about two feet from the average normal. It's nothing but mud from the shore to about 60 feet out. Dock reaches out 83 feet. It was a struggle to get the pontoon boat off the vegetation it was sitting solid on. Took some rocking and half throttle on the 60 Hp four stroke. Moved the boat out a bit further to keep it in water.

Attachments

• dock dry.jpg
    dock dry.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 14

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I know this buck, saw him many times last season. He's gathered some mass, but he would make a huge six if he lives another two years. We have one member who thinks everything under 8 points is a Cull. I like em all, just let them mature unless they have a goofy rack..

Attachments

• Buck cam 2.jpg
    Buck cam 2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 13

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Our dock reaches out 135 feet and the water that was over 4 feet deep back 40 years ago is now less than a foot deep and there`s more invasive aquatic vegetation than you can imagine. We`re about ready to get out and got to Wewa and the Chipola River. I`m tired of fighting with the COE.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our dock reaches out 135 feet and the water that was over 4 feet deep back 40 years ago is now less than a foot deep and there`s more invasive aquatic vegetation than you can imagine. We`re about ready to get out and got to Wewa and the Chipola River. I`m tired of fighting with the COE.
I agree, it's a losing battle with them.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lost my wife of 27 years August 27th of 2022, so I don't sit around the house much. I try and stay busy doing something outdoors. Hunting, fishing, looking for arrowhead or working on the hunting lease I've had for 37 years or so. I spend a lot of time on these two tractors working. And more time than I like repairing them. The Kubota does what the old 2N Ford Ferguson can't. It's my cup of tea, I don't sit around watching sports and drinking brew. Iced tea is my drink. Home grown veggies, venison and fish are the favorite foods. And I throw in some wild pork now and then. I've been an outdoors writer since the early 1970's, and that takes up some of my time when I am in the house. Been writing the outdoors column for the Donalsonville Ga News since about 1988, they won't let me quit.

Attachments

• Kubota work.jpg
    Kubota work.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190519_140200194.jpg
    IMG_20190519_140200194.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 9

HIGH COUNTRY

Enjoy your posts Son!

I appreciate you sharing your love for the outdoors and especially your outdoor knowledge and skills with us younger (ha I will be 69 in March) fellows!

Stay safe and wish you the best hunting season ever.