Seminole Co. Ramblings

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is how much of Lake Seminole, and connecting lakes and waterways look today. Oct 5th, 2023. The Corp controls the lake, controls how and what we can do with the lake and it's shoreline. Evidently all they care about is the fees the charge for docks and access. Seminole Co. charges 3 bucks to use most ramps, another robbery in my opinion. The least the county could do is allow county residents to launch free. After all, we pay some high taxes just to have a home here. I've fished this lake since 1985, it's really sad to see it in such condition. Winter will knock this hydrilla down, but only below the surface. Still now good for fishing, especially for the pan fishing folks. The photo is of Lewis Pond, across the road from Rays Lake. A resort area the county tax folks say. This isn't one, I've seen resort areas.

Attachments

• Lewis pond Oct 5 2023.jpg
    Lewis pond Oct 5 2023.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 17

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My club recently had an elevated blind destroyed, a feeder knocked down with the motor apart, battery thrown into the weeds and the solar panel apart. A cell Cam in the area had quit working too, don't know it if will work again. This past weekend, we went in with a golf cart, four wheeler and a Kubota tractor to remove the mess. Now there are two flat tires on the atv on the right side. Two flats on the right side of the golf cart, and a tire going down on the right side of the Kubota. Something looks fishy to me, we are going to check the area to see why all the flats. We also noticed about 30 yards to the south, the property line has been surveyed. For the last several years we've had problems with a fellow managing an adjacent property. It appears his company has bought a parcel of land that sits south of where the blind was. We are suspicious to say the least. Miller Co. Ga.

Attachments

• blind ruinedd.jpg
    blind ruinedd.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Blind ruined.jpg
    Blind ruined.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 29

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
With the drought we're experiencing, this is what I've done every year we had a drought. I haul totes of water to keep some mudholes with water, some hold water for weeks. I also put a tub of water near a blind hear and there. Everything benefits. Turkeys, deer, bugs, snakes, birds etc.. I visit our lease more often then anyone else, so I get to clear the roads of downed trees across roads. I've bought a small hand held chain saw, it works great.

Attachments

• Blind water.jpg
    Blind water.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 13
  • hauling water.jpg
    hauling water.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 13
  • down across the road.jpg
    down across the road.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 13

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Was too windy to fish Seminole today, so went up and mowed couple plots and roads in the hunting woods.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nice and cool this morning at lake Seminole. Maybe the hydrilla will stop growing for a bit.

twtabb

One good thing about that low lake level is Spring Creek is beautiful right now. Water is emerald green and clear. Saw some nice bass but water was so clear they weren’t messing with my plug. Did fool a few small ones and some bream.

Havana Dude

Did some bush hogging of trails today in the swamp. Got some problematic trees cut down. Good day in the swamp. Trying to get it done before the rains hit. If we get what they say, we won’t be doing any more tractor work.

basshappy

BANNED
I wonder why residents don't buy Bispyribac and treat the hydrilla themselves ... if those who "manage" the lake fail in their duty ...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I wonder what it would cost to treat thousands of acres? And I wonder what the Corp would do when you are caught applying it?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I wonder what it would cost to treat thousands of acres? And I wonder what the Corp would do when you are caught applying it?
My understanding is, a permit needs be applied for, and the Corp will tell you what you may use. Don't know about how large an area they will permit.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My hunting lease has been on the same property for about 38 years., We began with about 900 acres owned by GP. After a few years we also leases surrounding properties for a total of about 2400 acres. Hurricane Michael of 2018 changed things quick. 135 acres were cleared to the south of us, we lost that property to pasture. 600 acres was cleared to the north of us, it's now in cow pasture. We still had 250 acres to the north. Now the cattle company has bought about 168 acres of that, so now that's gone can't lease it anymore. Now we're back to the original property, but it's not GP anymore. The property has been sold several times between timber companies,. Everything was going well until the timber companies quit handling leases. It's even worse now that the cattle company has moved in from south Florida. It's been a constant battle with one problem after another since cattle showed up. They get out and eat our plots. People cut our chain at the gate. Realtors keep coming through us wanting to sell a 100 land locked property. We're having trespassing as are some neighbors. One person with the cattle co. goes around telling people it's my club. It's not, it's some hog hunters who hunt at night. Just recently, we've had an elevated stand put for a 13 year old completely destroyed. His feeder turned over and taken apart. A camera was there but was disabled, still don't know if it will work again. We went in with a tractor, golf cart and atv, all got flat tires on the right side, six flats. I took my zero turn up to mow some roads, got flat tires. Bottom line, we never had a problem before the cattle company moved in. Their land manager has been trying to run us off I'm told. He's met his match, he just don't know it yet. It's the OP factor, "Other people". Our club has never been a bad neighbor.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yes it rained, but we didn't get much water. Lake Seminole continues to be low. But I finally caught that big ol armadillo that's been digging up the garden, yard and flowers.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Divided opinions at Lake Seminole. There is a group called Stewards of Lake Seminole asking for donations, from the people and government. The lake has been taken over by hydrilla. Some people think we should donate for a lake cleanup. Others say, the COE let it get in such shape, they are the one's who created the impoundment, and they should clean it up. Just on my road alone, it's a constant selling and buying of property. People just are not staying here. High taxes on a lake where the Corp owns land between you and the lake is one reason. Condition of the lake another. And there will be some medical reasons as well, Number one problem, many residents on the lake shore built or moved in before the high taxes. Now many of those people are elderly, on fixed incomes and don't have the income to donate to cleaning up the lake. But, still there some people who don't realize that, and continue to post their opinion that everyone should pay. Shucks, we pay enough taxes in the county, and have to pay a fee to launch at most landings. Seminole Co. Residents should be allowed to launch free in my opinion. But who am I? Just another elderly person on a fixed income that has seen my taxes go through the roof. The more properties are sold and bought, taxes will continue to increase as the local government will claim property values are increasing. We need good people in our government, not rich people who have right offs etc.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Don`t forget the dock fees the COE places on us. Our property taxes are going sky high too. Those boat ramp fees are another ripoff.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
It's said, the launch fees go to maintaining the ramps etc. Shucks we pay enough taxes to own the darn things. And the Corp, I wont really get into that or I would have a bad mad day.
When I built my dock they said the permit was only 65 bucks. The hundreds attached were for administration fees. Robbery for sure. We pay federal taxes that should take of the Corp. Instead of going to Ukraine and other countries who don't like us. Pork projects, politician benefits, security etc. Y'all know, I don't need to type it all out.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
There are too many agencies regulating us that we have no control over. We can't hire, fire or vote them in or out. Who gives them so much power? Politicians, that's who. And they grab some power on their own because there's nobody really regulating them. Water management districts for an example, take notice who's on those boards. And so on. Just take a look at the ABC agencies today, all corrupt. If the big guys can be corrupt, imagine what the little guy agencies can do.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Out on the lake yesterday, catfishing. Plenty small fish stealing the bait in deep water. Finally caught four eaters. Lake Seminole remains low, very low, and it's too hot to enjoy fishing after 10 am.