September Dry's

Taxman

Which dry fly patterns and sizes should I be using for September
Dry's in the GSMNP? 18 blue winged olive?

Thank You!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
# 10 and #12 October caddis, # 14 orange Palmer, #14 Female Adams Parachute or Thunderhead, #14 gray/grizzly elk-hair caddis, #14-#16 orange snipe, #14 pale yellow or gray haystack/comparadun, #14 yellow palmer, #10 or #12 hoppers or rubber-legged stimulators. Save those dandruff flake flies for November-December. If the water is really low and clear, I'll go down to # 16 on some of the same patterns. But, sometimes huge dry flies like hoppers or rubber-legged stimulators will amaze you this time of year. As usual, presentation trumps pattern.

jigman29

I never hit the creeks there without a parachute/female Adams and an elk hair caddis. They are my go to dries.

splatek

UAEC
what NCHillbilly said...

I've had a lot of luck on a black stimi I tie, but you have to have some sort of indicator yarn on the fly or else you won't even see the take (sizes 14, 16, 18). If you can see it, it also makes a great indicator for a small nymph/midge floated underneath.
Just my two cents, but that black stimi has been really good to me pretty much every season.

Taxman

Thanks everyone. Never tried a black stimi or a thunderhead, snipe or
palmer!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone. Never tried a black stimi or a thunderhead, snipe or
palmer!!
If I had to fish one dry fly for the rest of my life, it would probably be a #14 yellow palmer. It's a very old, traditional southern Appalachian fly that likely originated here in Haywood County. The orange variation works great in late summer and fall. A Thunderhead would be a close second for one fly only.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
# 10 and #12 October caddis, # 14 orange Palmer, #14 Female Adams Parachute or Thunderhead, #14 gray/grizzly elk-hair caddis, #14-#16 orange snipe, #14 pale yellow or gray haystack/comparadun, #14 yellow palmer, #10 or #12 hoppers or rubber-legged stimulators. Save those dandruff flake flies for November-December. If the water is really low and clear, I'll go down to # 16 on some of the same patterns. But, sometimes huge dry flies like hoppers or rubber-legged stimulators will amaze you this time of year. As usual, presentation trumps pattern.

Okay what is a dandruff flake fly?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Okay what is a dandruff flake fly?
Those little #18-#24 flies the size of dandruff flakes that some folks seem to love to fish with, even though you can't see them and have to use a 1/2 lb test tippet to tie them on, and the fish like bigger flies just as good. :)

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Those little #18-#24 flies the size of dandruff flakes that some folks seem to love to fish with, even though you can't see them and have to use a 1/2 lb test tippet to tie them on, and the fish like bigger flies just as good. :)

thanks

I have enough trouble tying #14s and the occasional #16 on even with 3X magnifying glasses.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
thanks

I have enough trouble tying #14s and the occasional #16 on even with 3X magnifying glasses.
I have to fish with a fly nowadays that looks like half a chicken tied on a hook so I can see it. :bounce:

Taxman

Its funny, I fly fish a small river outside my door when I am not fishing for trout.
I have been dry fly fishing every evening since I purchased the new rod to familiarize myself with the casting differences. I can see small dry's all day long on flat water.
When I get into those riffles I can't see diddly!.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Its funny, I fly fish a small river outside my door when I am not fishing for trout.
I have been dry fly fishing every evening since I purchased the new rod to familiarize myself with the casting differences. I can see small dry's all day long on flat water.
When I get into those riffles I can't see diddly!.
Yep. The trouble is, there isn't any flat ground here, so there isn't much flat water, either. :)

Latest posts