Serious question about 1911’s

Robert28

Why in all that is holy are Savage 1911’s over $1000? Who do they think they are? Dan Wesson or Colt? I don’t get it at all. When people think of Savage they think “affordable”. Love their rifles, well the older ones anyways. But a $1000+ 1911 company they ain’t and never will be.

Madman

Nice accessories but fit and finish make it work. I’d be interested in the function.

bighonkinjeep

First of all it has a forged slide and frame. Hallmark traits of top quality 1911s.
Also has machined hammer and sear, titanium firing pin, billet barrel with target crown, a lowered and flared ejection port, Novak sights and VZ G10 grips.
Sounds like its got a heckuva lot more going for it than many of the cast and metal injection molded 1911 wannabes that many folks think are all that...

Last edited:

Dub

I applaud their effort for using higher quality internals and not simply being another maker using MIM & cast stuff.

Stylistically they are sorta out there and only offering them with the front cocking serrations that can be polarizing among 1911 fans.

I do like the ring hammer.
I would prefer having them offer non-ambi models.

Frontstrap checkering and magwells would be nice....but understandably would drive up the cost.

fauxferret

Times change and so does the market, anyone who has been in the firearm world should know it fluctuates like the stock market depending on who's in office.

I think the 1911 is having a resurgence with the renewed interest by the younger generations wanting to get into shooting sports. I also feel the AR market is tapped out and with advances in technology tuning a 1911 isn't what it was when Pachmayr/Colt were in business together. Making things more accessible to more people. Customers want options and if they don't get them they will find someone or some business that will. Look at how Kimber use to own the semi-custom market. Now they have cheapened their manufacturing processes to make their product more available. But if you purchase a more custom model it has a price tag to match.

I also think Savage is trying to shed their image as a budget firearm company. They had that image from the late 90's to present. If you don't like it save up and buy what you want. Isn't that the point of being a consumer? You can pick up a used Dan Wesson or Wilson Combat for about 2k if you're patient.

pacecars

Why in all that is holy are Savage 1911’s over $1000? Who do they think they are? Dan Wesson or Colt? I don’t get it at all. When people think of Savage they think “affordable”. Love their rifles, well the older ones anyways. But a $1000+ 1911 company they ain’t and never will be.
If they thought they were DW it would be $2000

Reactions: Dub

Dub

If they thought they were DW it would be $2000

I really wish Dan Wesson would bring their craftsmen and move their ops to a manufacturing friendly state.

Cuomo and his ego-driven response to covid hurt DW mightily. They lost some key people who moved on to other manufacturing opportunities.

It is a shame.

At their core, though, they make some really nice guns....all tool steel internals, everything nicely fitted & expertly finished.

Shame they no longer do custom orders...and shame they had to drop some of their mainstay guns....but they are a smaller shop and are still making some great weapons,

Robert28

I really wish Dan Wesson would bring their craftsmen and move their ops to a manufacturing friendly state.

Cuomo and his ego-driven response to covid hurt DW mightily. They lost some key people who moved on to other manufacturing opportunities.

It is a shame.

At their core, though, they make some really nice guns....all tool steel internals, everything nicely fitted & expertly finished.

Shame they no longer do custom orders...and shame they had to drop some of their mainstay guns....but they are a smaller shop and are still making some great weapons,
I wish they’d make the A2 again! They had blued and park full-size and blued commanders. Those things sold like crazy too. I wished I’d bought one when I had the chance.

Dub

I wish they’d make the A2 again! They had blued and park full-size and blued commanders. Those things sold like crazy too. I wished I’d bought one when I had the chance.

You aren't alone.

The A2 was perhaps the best looking of them all....even including the original Valor.

They did a blue version at one time, too. Kicking myself for not scratching together the funds for one back then.

My son has a huge milestone coming up.

He doesn't know it but I just ordered him a really nice range backpack....padded pistol section in the bottom with ammo section, other compartments, etc.

He's getting my matching pair of Valor commanders stashed in the pistol section. One is 9mm and the other .45.

One for carry...one an understudy for higher round count range practice.

I want to have him starting out well in terms of shooting iron.

He'll get all my guns one day, anyway.
I wan't him shooting well now.

Ajohnson0587

Based on Materials & quality parts used, this gun should be closer to $2,000 depending on fitment (haven't played with one, so I can't say for sure). If the fitment is good, $1,000 is a Bragin in my opinion. Brands like Kimber & Colt are building 1911's with cheaper quality materials and run of the mill parts and charging more, the fitment is trash.