Shell Limits on Public?

Long Cut

Think if there was a law limiting shells per hunter on public waters, it would reduce sky busting?
Or am I thinking entirely too optimistic here...

flatsmaster

I think it should be 15 even on NWR's ... hopefully u don't need 3 shells each bird so u have a few left for #6 !!!
Early teal is a diff story ....15 shells will be a quick hunt for me with a light strap !!! they can make u rethink ur shooting ability :mad:
And if u hunt Ringers ur done after 3 birds bc 1 to knock it down and 4 more to kill it ... there tough little dudes

across the river

No. I don't think the average hunter on public land in Georgia will have the opportunity to shoot 25 times even if they are sky busting at everything that flys reasonably close. The average group that shows up to a lake, sight unseen, without having scouted at all, isn't expecting to limit out. A bluebill and a ringneck or two will give them a duck or two to lay on their yeti cooler for a facebook or instagram picture, so if they can magic bb a couple they are fine. If you limit them to a box a piece it has absolutely no impact on their typical Saturday morning duck hunting.

Last edited:

JackSprat

Think if there was a law limiting shells per hunter on public waters, it would reduce sky busting?

No, it would just make them make more trips back to the truck or up into the bushes for more shells.

Read the DNR weekly activity report to see how many people get busted for using lead shot.

Totaloutdoorsman

I agree with a limit. A box of shells tops. Nothing ruins a hunt quite like a group of kids shooting at every coot within a 300m circle during a Butler Island Hunt.

chase870

Possum Sox
Rigorous honesty would go along way. In fact if it takes you more than a box of shells to kill a limit you suck and should either take shooting lesions or stop duck hunting just saying

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
SC limits you to 50 shells on public dove hunts. It becomes obvious pretty quick that most of the folks out there aren't abiding by it.

1 box 25 shells on most National wildlife rfuges. almost never enforced.