Shooting military surplus ammo

JR924

I know the issue of the corrosive Berdan primer and not worried as I would take windex to the range and clean it there with final cleaning at home. My issue is the core of the bullet. There is magnetic (I assume steel or iron) and nonmagnetic (assume lead). One brother said I will shoot my barrel out and the steel core ammo would be the worse to shoot. The other brother said it is fine due to the copper coating on the bullet protecting it. I have some steel core ammo and was considering shooting it out my Yugo but not my recent Sauer purchase. What are your opinions???

transfixer

Steel core ammo is just that, steel in the core, it does not come in contact with the rifling, its not going to hurt the barrel, just to clarify, I assume you're talking 5.56 green tip , which has a steel penetrator core, that does not have corrosive primers, if you're talking 7.62x39 steel core ? as far as I know all of that was Chinese manufacture, and hasn't been imported in a very, very long time, kinda hard to find even on the secondary market, ( I know cause I've got a little over a 1000 rds of it I've had since the 90's ) , it does use corrosive primers, and is generally referred to as " copper washed" due to the color of the case and bullet .

trial&error

The steel core is for performance downrange. Not going to affect barrel life during normal use. Of more concern is the pressure. milsurp 556 should not be fired in 223 rem barrel.

Bobby Bigtime

I have shot butt tons of surplus ammo (crates) of several calibers with no ill effects on the barrels. Shoot,clean and enjoy. Wish I would have banked up more but a blast was sure had and skills were enhanced.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
No affect to the barrel or gun, but be careful “where you shoot it”. If you are shooting competition and they have steel plate targets or reactive targets you will likely be asked to leave and disqualified (possible fine). Usually they make a point to mention it before the match, but it is kinda a well known requirement - “do not shoot at my AR400 targets with steel core ammo”.

rosewood

Moreover, you will beat up your personal steel targets with steel core ammo. So I personally wouldn't shoot steel at steel anyway.

Rosewood

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Steel core ammo is just that, steel in the core, it does not come in contact with the rifling, its not going to hurt the barrel, just to clarify, I assume you're talking 5.56 green tip , which has a steel penetrator core, that does not have corrosive primers, if you're talking 7.62x39 steel core ? as far as I know all of that was Chinese manufacture, and hasn't been imported in a very, very long time, kinda hard to find even on the secondary market, ( I know cause I've got a little over a 1000 rds of it I've had since the 90's ) , it does use corrosive primers, and is generally referred to as " copper washed" due to the color of the case and bullet .

You're referring to M855, correct?

Asking for my own knowledge.

Big7

The Oracle
Case closed.
All you need to know.

And.. From personal experience with my 3, 7.62X54 rifles I TRY to get Albanian steel core and they are also copper washed cases.

That's about as close to AP without being AP as you can get.

And.. Really old surplus often come with a lacquered case. Try to stay away from them. They will stick in and imperfect chamber.
This is not to be confused with the newer stuff.
They will shoot as good as anything.

Also, South African surplus 7.62X51 and 30- 06 is excellent ammo.

I had a Yugo in excellent condition, bayonet and all. Wish I still had it. They go for five times as much as I paid for mine.

It mostly got fed Tula and Wolf steel case.
No problem.

IDK about the really old 7.62X39.

Last edited:

Bobby Bigtime

In the 7.62x54 the Albanian is generally brass case with some dents and wrinkles but shoots great. The Bulgarian is generally copper washed

JR924

Thanks. I just picked up a Nagant to go with my Jap Ariska so the 7.62x54 info helpful. I think I am going to buy some Yugoslavia 70s and 80s 8x57 in bulk and of course some 7.62x54 military surplus. Think I am screwed on the 7.7 jap and have to buy the expensive current ammo. I do have my eye on a 7.5x54mm MAS but that ammo looks impossible to find.