Sinew tool and points

Al33

Nicodemus told me I could make a sinew harvesting tool from a deer leg bone so I saved the entire lower leg so I could use the foot for a handle. I will have to wait until next deer season to try it out but I think it will work real well on those backstraps.

Nick also gave me a bucket full of stone and a couple of pieces of a marbled looking Coastal Plains chert while at the Chickasawhatchee TBG hunt. The point on the far left is one I made from one of the pieces of marbled chert. The one next to it was made from Coastal Plains chert that Swampstalker gave me in the form of a huge rock. The other two on the right I just recently completed. The orange looking one is heat treated coral and the grayish colored one I am not sure about.

Attachments

• points4-21-08-1.jpg
    points4-21-08-1.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 303
  • points4-21-08-2.jpg
    points4-21-08-2.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 292

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Points turned out well, Al! Glad the stone worked for you. The grayish one looks to be made from Texas chert. Nice lookin` sinew gitter!

RatherBHuntin

Do you take the sinew gitter and just rip the sinew lengthwise into smaller pieces? Do you need to do anything to the sinew after it's harvested?

Nugefan

nice tool fer gittin' sinew .....

them points are lookin' good too Mr Al ....

Al33

Thanks for the kudos folks!:)

Do you take the sinew gitter and just rip the sinew lengthwise into smaller pieces? Do you need to do anything to the sinew after it's harvested?

It was Nicodemus that instructed me how to go about removing the sinew from the back straps and it works great. I didn't have a bone tool the first few times and used a regular dull table knife instead.

Nicodemus can tell you better than I can but here is a simple explanation:
After the deer is skinned and preferably while hanging, make a cut down each side of the back bone and slide the tool blade under the silvery looking sinew at the top of the strap. Work the point of it just under the sinew until it comes out on the other side then work it downward while trying to keep the blade close to the underside of the sinew separating it from the back strap meat. On one end, I cannot remember which, all you have to do is pull the blade through it to separate it but on the other end you will need to cut it.

Afterward you have two wide pieces of sinew. Lay them on a flat surface and scrape off any remaining flesh. It is best to keep them slightly wet when doing this part. Lay them out on a board to dry and they will dry very quickly. That's all there is to it until you get ready to use some.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good description Al. That covered it well. You have to cut it loose at the hindquarter, but you can pull it out at the front shoulder.

Jake Allen

Nice looking work Al.
Thanks for the explaining the sinew.

Handgunner

Nice lookin' tool and points Al!!!

dutchman

As always Al, great work! The points are very nice and the sinew tool should be very beneficial.