Sloppy Floyd Lakes

Can anyone advise me on midsummer fishing methods in Sloppy Floyd state park ? I presume that crappie and bluegill are present as well as bass and I could use a head's up on lures/bait, best time of day and preferred depth of water for success. Thanks.

BASS1FUN

I use to fish ? it before we moved there during my high school years and I use to catch the bass on plastic worms and bream on worms and crickets but that was 40+ years ago, I want to take my grandchildren over there since they live in Summerville

scottpriest

I've only walked the banks fishing it, never put a boat in, and I like the lower lake much better than the upper part. I have had some success there with whopper ploppers when the bass are chasing bait or hitting topwater. I've caught them on 3-4" paddle tail swimbaits and texas rigged worms and soft plastics too.

Thanks for the replies and info.
Does anyone know if Lake Marvin (Floyd county) or
any other small lakes in that area are open ?
(Besides Rocky Mountain) Queen City lake is accessible and some people catch big bass outa there. Catfish will bite, but it has a severely stunted panfish population (crappie, bluegill, yellow bass)

Jeepnfish

Lake Marvin is supposed to open in August. Last year I made 2 trips there when it was supposed to be open and it wasn't. Call the ranger the day before to confirm.

It seems like everyone fishes mainly for LM bass, and I can see why. Unlike spotted bass, they jump ! I usually cruise open water in a kayak and look for mixed schools of panfish on my depth finder. I will occasionally catch a largemouth and they like to jump next to the boat and spray water all over me...pretty funny. A fish with attitude !