Small tract help

timj1633

Afternoon all, I have the opportunity to hunt a small 40-50 acre tract in Bulloch county this year. The acreage is surrounded by mostly ag farms. It has a seasonal creek running through the property with some hardwoods surrounding that, the remainder is replanted pines. There are no interior lanes of any kind to really get into the property without disturbing the neighborhood so to speak and the pines have a ton of undergrowth. Where I’m hoping you all could provide assistance is this.
1. I know nothing of Bulloch county and what the hunting is like. If anyone could chime in that would be much appreciated.
2. How should I go about being reasonably successful on this type of property this close to season starting.

Before this comment may arise, and someone says too late to start worrying about all of that. After loosing our long term lease to sale in Emanuel county this is our only option after an extensive search.

slow motion

If you haven't scouted any I would go asap. I wouldn't worry about scaring the wildlife. Knowledge is more important. Look for buck sign from years past. They frequent the same locales year after year. Look at what is planted and when you think it'll get harvested. If you have time and permission I'd cut a trail or two for access. The deer will use the trails you cut. Hang a stand or two or make note of good trees for a climber but be ready to move around if necessary. Try to get an idea of the typical wind direction for there. Wind gets funneled by topography. Most important, enjoy the journey. And post up pics of your progress, success, views from the stand, breakfast, or whatever you want to share. Good luck.

catch22

we have a very similar property.....very similar. We got it late in the summer a few years back. We went ahead and bit the bullet and hired a guy to mow a couple strips between the pines. we threw up a couple ladder stands, planted a couple plots, and put out a couple feeders. we were successful in seeing deer that season.

We have made some adjustments since then, but you may have to get some lanes cuts asap and the deer will settle back in no time

Bud Man

Get in there and get after it, don't worry about disturbing it, I have 60 acres and I work it and I work it and I work it, the deer don't mind ,some of the bucks may leave for a few days and then come back some may leave forever, creating the opportunity for other ones to come to the area , try to create some food sources, do the best you can this year and be ready for even better year next year. again get after it as soon as you can and be ready.

timj1633

Scouted the land once a few weeks back. Found a complete set to an 8 and full skull of a 10 on the property. I’ll post an aerial of the layout. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Attachments

• 3F7FC8C2-0033-4A66-96B7-FD7DF7A671A9.jpeg
    3F7FC8C2-0033-4A66-96B7-FD7DF7A671A9.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 83

Hillbilly stalker

You might wanna hold back a little. I’d sit back and watch a couple evening about 45 minutes before dark and see where they are coming out. The last thing you wanna do is go in there and start hacking around and blow up what looks and sounds like the best bedding area in vicinity. You don’t have to kill the deer on the very first day of season. You have the food source, they have the cover, I’d learn a little bit about how they travel before I went Paul Bunyan on it.

ssramage

You might wanna hold back a little. I’d sit back and watch a couple evening about 45 minutes before dark and see where they are coming out. The last thing you wanna do is go in there and start hacking around and blow up what looks and sounds like the best bedding area in vicinity. You don’t have to kill the deer on the very first day of season. You have the food source, they have the cover, I’d learn a little bit about how they travel before I went Paul Bunyan on it.

This is good advice. You have plenty of access on both sides from the dirt road and the paved road. Get you a good mobile setup where you can move around.

Also, I'd ask the neighbors (particularly that green field) for permission accessing your property through theirs.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Here's another idea, very simple.

There are ABSOLUTELY trails to bedding and scrapes and rubs in that center section. Find the trails going in and out, set up on the edges and you'll see deer.

Maybe a couple spots on the North Side, and a couple on the South side.

Let the deer show you where to set up.

For now keep it simple, and stay out of the middle. Use this season to learn the area and see what's happening.

On a piece this small, EVERYTHING is gonna be a "pass thru" deer. Don't pass on anything you like.

I'm betting you'll kill a few.

earlthegoat2

I hunt 30 acres that is about 150 yds wide and 500 yds long.

I found a few trails and a few scrapes and set up one stand and saw deer all season long.

All you can really hope for is to see deer at this point. Dominant buck specific hunting is out unless you can get on one in early season and lay down a pattern. Hopefully you will get lucky on that front.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Good advice above.
Also hunt just Inside the property this year.Those deer know where the groceries are.
Also try to place 1 stand each to be able to hunt the prevailing winds that day.
If you can,t go in quietly then wait until you can see where your stepping to not break limbs etc....
After this year you will learn the property a lot better and know where to place stands.

Dean

Tend to agree with Hillbilly. If your tract is surrounded by open ag fields, you may have the limited or 'only' bedding security in the area. As such, I would certainly tread lightly, especially if you anticipate having access to this tract for the next few seasons. I would quick mid-day scout now to find a few stand locations on the outside of hard edges of thick pines/hardwoods, maybe along an obvious creek crossing as long as you are mindful of the wind and disturbance caused by accessing (walking in/out) those locations - last thing you want is your scent blowing into a bedding area in the middle of large ag fields...hunt the edges, then develop a plan to encroach as the season progresses. Also, it can be very tough to give up a weekend of hunting when hunting time is limited, but if the conditions aren't right on a smaller tract you are better off not hunting and waiting. If you are confident, you will have access to this tract next season, then you can maybe plan plots, clearing lanes next year early. My thing, is what food plot is going to compete with surrounding ag fields if deer are feeding actively in those...? But if you have the limited bedding cover, water in the area best to protect it and tread lightly from the edges. Heck, if you carry a bow, season opens shortly and you just might kill early...if this is only a one season tract, I would still tread lightly early, then dig deeper into the core once bucks start really cruising - now they should be almost strictly food-cover- food-cover pattern and likely bumping or drastically changing their security could cause them to re-locate and shift their home range. It's really tough to hold deer on a small tract unless you have a unique to the area reason for them to be there. Good luck.

timj1633

Tend to agree with Hillbilly. If your tract is surrounded by open ag fields, you may have the limited or 'only' bedding security in the area. As such, I would certainly tread lightly, especially if you anticipate having access to this tract for the next few seasons. I would quick mid-day scout now to find a few stand locations on the outside of hard edges of thick pines/hardwoods, maybe along an obvious creek crossing as long as you are mindful of the wind and disturbance caused by accessing (walking in/out) those locations - last thing you want is your scent blowing into a bedding area in the middle of large ag fields...hunt the edges, then develop a plan to encroach as the season progresses. Also, it can be very tough to give up a weekend of hunting when hunting time is limited, but if the conditions aren't right on a smaller tract you are better off not hunting and waiting. If you are confident, you will have access to this tract next season, then you can maybe plan plots, clearing lanes next year early. My thing, is what food plot is going to compete with surrounding ag fields if deer are feeding actively in those...? But if you have the limited bedding cover, water in the area best to protect it and tread lightly from the edges. Heck, if you carry a bow, season opens shortly and you just might kill early...if this is only a one season tract, I would still tread lightly early, then dig deeper into the core once bucks start really cruising - now they should be almost strictly food-cover- food-cover pattern and likely bumping or drastically changing their security could cause them to re-locate and shift their home range. It's really tough to hold deer on a small tract unless you have a unique to the area reason for them to be there. Good luck.
I have the opportunity to lease this for the foreseeable future but the gentleman we lease from has some larger tracts that will be available next year. My hunting partner and I were originally agreeing to this property as a hold over. That may change if this turns into a good small piece but it’s all we had for an option this year. I am trying to figure out how and where we should hang a few stands to both hunt the correct wind, as well as not getting in each others way.

Davexx1

Print out an aerial photo of the property then go there on favorable wind days, walk the perimeter, and mark on your map any/all heavily traveled trails in/out of the heavier cover. Also, make note of wind and sun directions, water, and any other features you notice. That info is very helpful in learning the property and finding some good am & pm stand sites. You may find sign of feral wild hogs. If so, don't put out any corn.

Keep in mind there will likely be hunters and farm workers on adjoining lands, maybe even close by. Keep an eye out for tree stands and vehicle/farm traffic on those adjoining properties. You may want to avoid setting up close to the fence.

Hope this helps, Dave

2dye4

I’d go in and set up cellular cameras on trails so you can observe activity to limit your scent exposure and determine the routes. Use the wind to your advantage on the small piece of property. Some of the biggest trophies come off of small acres.
Good Luck and hope to see some pics posted on the future.

Havana Dude

Just hunt it. Get a feel for what’s going on. I’ve hunted 40 acres for 30 + years. Only one of those years did I fail to put meat in the freezer, largely due to having 3 back surgeries. My experience has been, you’re not going to change the world, by doing whatever you choose to do. My place is swamp land, with a few high spots. Heavily treed. Plots, I’ve done, generally fail due to either flooding, or leaf coverage in the fall. I’ve given up on any kind of plots . We run a few feeders, just to make our place a little more appealing. I would say, rough guess, most every deer we kill is during, or very near the rut. But I have fun sitting no matter what happens.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
First off what if anything is planted in the fields ? And what are you allowed to do in fields . Honestly I probably wouldn’t step foot in the woods . I sure wouldn’t go bush hogging trails through it .

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Scouted the land once a few weeks back. Found a complete set to an 8 and full skull of a 10 on the property. I’ll post an aerial of the layout. I appreciate any and all feedback.

I would build two enclosed box stands off the ground and hunt in this general direction. tract.jpeg

XJfire75

Which end of Bulloch is it in? Just trying to gauge how much for AG and wooded timber there may be since the southern end is different from the northern end and hunting/poaching pressure on said fields can vary also.

I hunt south of you in Evans. If it’s semi close I wouldn’t mind putting eyes on it and helping you do a speed scouting trip to get you started. Just holler.

jmac7469

Thats a lot of potential baedding area. Mind the wind, get on the hardwood edge climb a tree, see some deer. Dont overcomplicate it and stay out of the dead center. Thats what i would do this year.