Snakes??

ddd-shooter

If I lived and hunted in the mountains where there were only timber rattlers and copperheads, or anywhere else that didn`t have many or any, I probably wouldn`t even own a pair of snake boots. But where I`ve been all my life there are a gracious plenty of all 7 kinds of the venomous types. The most expensive pair of snake boots are still mighty cheap insurance. And no, I`m not nor ever have been scared of them, gators, bears, or anything else that we have in the woods and swamps.
If you had to rank what you consider the "most aggressive" snakes in your area, how would you rank them?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If you had to rank what you consider the "most aggressive" snakes in your area, how would you rank them?

Since none of them are aggressive, how about I rank them in the order of how easy it is to get them riled up. You won`t find this in a book that I know of. This is my personal findings.

1-pygmy rattlesnake

2 diamondback rattlesnake

3-copperhead

4-cottonmouth

5-canebrake rattlesnake

6-coral snake

WoodlandScout82

So I went to Field &Stream yesterday and found a pair of snake gaiters. I figure it's a good compromise as I can wear them as I think I might need or take them off and put them in my pack. They cut a bunch of timber up at Cohutta last spring so there's a lot of downed brush, not to mention the clearings haven't been cut that I have to walk past or through. I just worry anytime I have to go through anything where I can't see where I'm stepping, especially before daylight.

ddd-shooter

Since none of them are aggressive, how about I rank them in the order of how easy it is to get them riled up. You won`t find this in a book that I know of. This is my personal findings.

1-pygmy rattlesnake

3-copperhead

4-cottonmouth

5-canebrake rattlesnake

6-coral snake
Yeah that's why I put it in quotes, lol
Good to know

Mexican Squealer

I don’t hunt in the mountains but am amongst a ton moccasins and a few rattlers pretty regularly working on duck stuff. Came very close to 3 different cottonmouths on Saturday. They get a pass when I’m in their territory and sometimes when they are in mine.

Ga Waters

I agree.

1-pygmy rattlesnake

3-copperhead

4-cottonmouth

5-canebrake rattlesnake

6-coral snake
It has been my observation that copperheads seldom exabit the flight response. Freeze, coil yes but seldom flee.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I lived and hunted in the mountains where there were only timber rattlers and copperheads, or anywhere else that didn`t have many or any, I probably wouldn`t even own a pair of snake boots. But where I`ve been all my life there are a gracious plenty of all 7 kinds of the venomous types. The most expensive pair of snake boots are still mighty cheap insurance. And no, I`m not nor ever have been scared of them, gators, bears, or anything else that we have in the woods and swamps.
Exactly. We just don't have the snakes like y'all do. Plenty of snakes in general, but I usually only see maybe a couple rattlers a year on average, and a couple copperheads. I haven't even seen a copperhead all summer.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Ironically, I haven`t seen but one venomous snake this year myself. A 3 foot cottonmouth, less than 20 feet from my back door.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The only rattlesnake I've seen all year, @The mtn man ran over right where I turn off the main road to hunt.

As a side note, I have not seen a single yellow jacket nest dug out this year. Not one.

jbogg

The only rattlesnake I've seen all year, @The mtn man ran over right where I turn off the main road to hunt.

As a side note, I have not seen a single yellow jacket nest dug out this year. Not one.

That’s strange. I have lost count as to the number of yellow jacket nest’s I have seen dug out over the past few weeks. I spend most of my time over 2800 feet. What elevation are you typically at?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Majority of my scouting this year has been between 2200-3000 with a couple jaunts up to 4200. It's just random luck that I haven't seen any. Most years I'm like you, they're everywhere. I just found it odd that I haven't seen any, even though I've seen other sign of bears.

Cool Hand Luke

Coulda been a bad day. Several of us installing a hog trap by the creek. Didn't realize he was there until someone spotting him sticking out from under tire.
You never know....

moccasin1.jpg

splatek

UAEC

Yeah I’ve seen a ton of yellow jacket nests dug in. Always reminds me just how many nests are out there come fall when the bears are digging up their larvae

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I agree.

It has been my observation that copperheads seldom exabit the flight response. Freeze, coil yes but seldom flee.

The ones up here are not aggressive, they would rather hide. Now I dont know their behavior when handled, I dont do that.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I've only seen one venomous this year. A small copperhead on the side of the road about a mile from the house.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War

DBs, Canebrakes, Pygmies, CMs, CHs, Corals and.....?? Which one am I missin NIc?