Snake boots ???

jbogg

I use turtle skins now, but if I was not hunting the mountains I would still be wearing my Irish setter VaprTreks. They were fairly lightweight, good arch support, and literally no break in time required. I think I hiked five or 6 miles the very first time I wore them. Like most snake boots, there was not much ankle support, so side hilling in the mountains with a heavy pack became fatiguing without the good ankle support of a mountain boot. They were waterproof initially, but sometime within the first year or two they started leaking.

jrickman

Here it is....

I'm not going to take that guy's advice because it runs counter to literally everything I've ever been told, by those with equal or greater expertise and experience. Also, somewhere out there in internet land there is a video of an eastern diamondback biting clean through a motorcycle tire sidewall.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Here it is....

Those would probably be good against a copperhead, cottonmouth, and possibly some canebrakes. I would not step up to one of these with them on. I noticed he didn`t put them on and try against any of them.

bad boy.jpg

Hillbilly stalker

Here it is....

Uhhhhhh…….NO. Don’t know about them South American snake, but I’ve seen enough ivories hanging out of a canebreak that theres no way I would trust a simple rubber boot. Them jungle natives can’t afford a pair of snakeboots or I’d bet they would be wearing them. Ol boy must be getting a commission or something, put them on and show me.:huh: I’ll stick to my Lacrosss, having too much boot is like having too much fun…..ain’t possible.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I don't agree 100% with the video and wouldn't advise using cheapo 13 dollar rubber boots. The gaiters though, Turtleskins, I definately trust and those have been tested with EDB's.

HughW2

As Nic and others have noted in past threads.

Treatment for a poisonous snake bite is BIG $! Even if you have insurance! Your co-pay at the hospital will be multiple thousand dollars.

I will gladly pay the $300 for a decent pair of snake boots and put up with the extra weight and heat of wearing them. Where I hunt I have plenty of canebrakes and the occasional diamondback.

No thanks to the chance of being bitten. Hard pass on cheap rubber boots.

GDAWG84

@Dub go with the Danners. Doesn’t look like they’re making the Pronghorn any more but the Sharptail is just as comfortable. I practically live in snakeboots and haven’t found a more comfortable or durable pair than Danner. Maybe Russels might be better but I’ll never know about those. Another plus about the sharptails is that they have a slimmer profile up top so you can slide your pants legs over them if you so desire. Whatever you decide to go with, stay away from LaCrosse and Rocky.

Brookser

Seconding Danners Sharptail, really good boots and should work what you looking for. Can also check Garmont Tactical models or LaCrosse, all 3 should work pretty well

killerv

Google the pronghorn snake boot, not just pronghorn

Got about 5-6 seasons out of mine, very comfortable, just started wearing out, couldnt keep them dry anymore etc.

Chippewa have been my favorites. But mine were older and not the china mess they make today. Heart sunk when I tried on a pair last year and they said China.

Only time I was ever struck I was wearing Lacrosse Fangs. I knew what it was as soon as it hit me.

bnew17

Lacrosse 4xAlphas is all I wear. They are rubber with a cordura face. No need to worry about water leaks like with lace ups. They are very comfortable as well. Took me 5 years of hard wear to finally wear my first pair out.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
There was a facebook posting that showed a man's leg while he lie on a hospital bed. The leg looked awful. He got in a hurry, couldn't find his snake boots, wore muck boots instead and paid the price deer hunting. A big rattler nailed him. The rattler's fangs went through the rubber and into his leg like a hot icepick through a stick of butter. He posted to urge folks to wear snake protection hunting deer early season in S. Ga. I had a pair of Russell Turkey Hunter's made for me after being measured by the company owner's family member at Bray's Island a few years ago. I ended up giving them away. Horrible fit. The 8" Russell boots measured at the same time fit fine with thick enough leather to give me security and comfort with the Turtleskins. Gil

pjciii

I dont know if you have found this website but i bought my first pair last year when i moved to the mountains.

https://snakeboots.com/

I got a pair of rocky boots. They are just comfortable once broken in. I wear their tactical waterproof boots when i ride my motorcycle.

jrickman

Steer clear of the RedHead Lubbock unless you are really skinny and have a collapsing heel. They are made really funny. It is a fight to the death to even get your foot into them. I even had my wife try and getting her tiny foot in there past the edge of the heel cup was a struggle. I finally got my foot into them with the help of some slick dress socks and could not zip them past mid-calf. I'm fairly muscular, but I would not consider my calves THAT big for someone wearing a size 11 boot. Shame, because otherwise they seemed like a pretty decent offering.

Triple C

Own a pair of Danner Pronghorn's and like em. Prefer the TurtleSkin snake gaiters for summer and early fall. So light you won't know you're wearing them. Bought a pair of the TurtleSkin's bout 10 years ago while quail hunting near Albany. Most of the guides wore them. Encountered EDB's on just about all the quail hunts down that way.

killerv

Own a pair of Danner Pronghorn's and like em. Prefer the TurtleSkin snake gaiters for summer and early fall. So light you won't know you're wearing them. Bought a pair of the TurtleSkin's bout 10 years ago while quail hunting near Albany. Most of the guides wore them. Encountered EDB's on just about all the quail hunts down that way.

My problem with gaiters is that they dont protect your foot, when I got struck that joker hit me on top of the foot just above the toes.

TJay

I have a pair of Justin snake boots and have been very pleased with fit and comfort. They look kind of stiff but once you get them on they feel great and very little break in.

jrickman

I can't find much of anything in stock so I'm going with the Lacross 4x Alphas while I keep shopping. My Lacross (non-snakeproof) were worn out and leaking anyway.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve worn A pair of Irish setters for the past few years and have been really pleased . Haven’t tested them and hope I don’t ?