Solar farms on the rise? Fad or future?

rstallings1979

Very well said and you are right, of course.

I have other thoughts (not to be taken as an argument) and they right along the lines of thought you have outlined.

At work just now, however.
Understood...I know of two situations where generational land was inherited and divided up among siblings. The siblings were all approached by Solar and one decides to sell and the others rejected all offers noting their dad, dad's dad, and great great grandfather would roll in their grave if they sold. Needless to say their family gatherings aren't as prevalent as they once were. Granted the one sibling who sold now owns a nice vacation house at the beach that he and his family get to use. Sounds like a season of the Yellowstone show doesn't it?

cowhornedspike

Understood...I know of two situations where generational land was inherited and divided up among siblings. The siblings were all approached by Solar and one decides to sell and the others rejected all offers noting their dad, dad's dad, and great great grandfather would roll in their grave if they sold. Needless to say their family gatherings aren't as prevalent as they once were. Granted the one sibling who sold now owns a nice vacation house at the beach that he and his family get to use. Sounds like a season of the Yellowstone show doesn't it?

Sort of off subject, but anyone who thinks that land can be divided up amongst siblings and still all stay in the family for more generations is delusional...

rstallings1979

Sort of off subject, but anyone who thinks that land can be divided up amongst siblings and still all stay in the family for more generations is delusional...
My in laws have managed to do it since 1834. Every acre still in the blood line since the original purchase. It’s not easy and I am not sure how much longer we can make it work. Over 5k acres with some of the owners living all the way across the country. We have a first right of refusal on purchases thank goodness.

kayaksteve

My family has made it work since the 20’s but luckily we have a very small family. But it’s unlikely it will all make it through our young kids generation. I hope atleast my share will and maybe more but it gets less likely every generation.

Jim Boyd

I have never watched Yellowstone (my wife has, if that counts!) so I can’t comment on that.

Here is what I think I know - or at least beleive:

Some decisions are emotional and some are purely factual and yes, I think the line gets blurred often.

Yes, if the price got right, of course I would sell. We have only owned for 3 years

As you pointed out, selling land has created some giant family divisions.

Generally, when the price gets right, almost anything is for sale.

Almost.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
No sin in that.

Hope the deal was sweet.

If someone offers stupid money for my place, they can have it. $7k ain’t gonna do it though.
Same here. Twice that amount won’t even break ground for a discussion for us.

If we did sell I already have a short list of places I would move to and buy a replacement farm

Frankly If it weren’t for the land I’d have left this place a long time ago

Last edited:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member

If we did sell I already have a short list of places I would move to and buy a replacement farm

But then you wouldn't have the entertainment of Trap County.

Jim Boyd

Twice that ($14k) would get mine in a hurry.

I love my area but I would take the money and find a place with a fishing pond and land to hunt nearby.

Im flexible that way!

killerv

I know a of a guy in Jefferson county that sold some for 9 million
I believe it, buddy has 1500 acres, he's been approached, I believe they've already been given 600k in earnest money, if they dont decide to buy within a year, they get to keep the money of course. He explained to me a lot these have to do with companies like Facebook, etc. If they build a data center, they have to spend so much on the "environment" to offset it and add more electricity for the surrounding community. I'm sure they get some writeoff, etc for doing it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

If you'll give it to me I'll help y'all pack. :bounce:

Those houses in the pasture next to me pose a problem. The first gun shot is gonna send the sheriff on the double. I'm sure the deputy will be much more courteous than me when he tells them I'm legal. :rolleyes:

Blackston

I seen one full of goats the other day

deers2ward

Was on a flight to Detroit from northern Michigan on Tuesday morning. Windmills for miles across hundreds of farms. They all still plant their crops etc but have a giant windmill in the middle of their fields. An eyesore, but at least they keep their land and way of life, and wildlife still have habitat.

These solar farms in Georgia are an abomination.

I have a big distribution center (4 million sq ft) going in along my border in the next couple of years. The county has already blessed everything. I tried to fight it, went to meetings, but fell on deaf ears. The developer has called me multiple times to sell, but I tell him No. $20K/acre wouldn’t even do it for me. If I ever do sell I’ll probably do a 1031 exchange, but I’ve look on land watch periodically and there’s nothing out there that interests me. As soon as I zoom out to see a property on the map there's houses right next to it, a highway, chicken house, etc...Sad the way things are going

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Was on a flight to Detroit from northern Michigan on Tuesday morning. Windmills for miles across hundreds of farms. They all still plant their crops etc but have a giant windmill in the middle of their fields. An eyesore, but at least they keep their land and way of life, and wildlife still have habitat.

These solar farms in Georgia are an abomination.

I have a big distribution center (4 million sq ft) going in along my border in the next couple of years. The county has already blessed everything. I tried to fight it, went to meetings, but fell on deaf ears. The developer has called me multiple times to sell, but I tell him No. $20K/acre wouldn’t even do it for me. If I ever do sell I’ll probably do a 1031 exchange, but I’ve look on land watch periodically and there’s nothing out there that interests me. As soon as I zoom out to see a property on the map there's houses right next to it, a highway, chicken house, etc...Sad the way things are going
Same here. And yes it’s sad. That’s the way we are about selling. Not to mention with me it will be 3rd generation

Gator89

All you "no sellers" be glad you did not grow up in the land the pillages have conquered in Sumter County FL.

Mom wanted to sell, asked her four children, 2 said sell, 2 said don't sell or not yet. Mom listened to my 2 brothers and my sister and I were out voted.

Every piece of ground that was ever near and dear to me has been sold.

From here on out, anything I may own is for sale for the right price.

Last edited: