Son sent me this after I had turned in last night

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Pecans and water.
If it’s a boy, I think it is, after about six months they start wanting to bite no matter what.

wvdawg

Staff member
Neat pics. Hope you can return him to the wild when he is ready!

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Neat pics. Hope you can return him to the wild when he is ready!
I hope so too.:rockon: My nephew had a boy as a baby and he went back to the wild, but hung around their house for weeks. My girl just kept coming back home. :huh:

Last edited:

blt152

Where is your son located? That's a northern fox squirrel. I do not know how far their range is but I know they're not native to Georgia.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Where is your son located? That's a northern fox squirrel. I do not know how far their range is but I know they're not native to Georgia.
They come into northwestern NC and parts of TN. The southern variety is in the rest of NC.

blt152

They are visually different too. The southern species has a black face or head and a white ring around it's nose. Pretty cool looking little critter.

Mexican Squealer

The Southern fox squirrels in my neck of the woods come in solid black, Black with a silver head, solid grey, silver and every combo in between. Not sure if you are saying that all southern fox squirrels have a black head or face with a ring around the nose or I’m just missing something here.

nkbigdog

I talked with my son last night about the squirl. He lives in Love Land Colorado in his first new home..He went out to cook some steaks on the new deck he built, and the baby must have fallen out of a huge tree in his back yard. He and his significant other (Great Young Lady) checked the squirl and felt it was not injured but, still did not have his eyes open..They have been feeding him different nuts and one of those hamster water bottles for fluids. I have raised several as rescues and turned them back into the wild..His plans are the same, I can't wait for more pic's! Now you know as much as I do.

humdandy

Banned
The Southern fox squirrels in my neck of the woods come in solid black, Black with a silver head, solid grey, silver and every combo in between. Not sure if you are saying that all southern fox squirrels have a black head or face with a ring around the nose or I’m just missing something here.

This.

blt152

I've only encountered a few southern fox squirrels and those have had the black head and face with the white ring around it's nose. I'm not a squirrel hunter and only relate to the ones I've seen while deer hunting. I've yet to see one on my last two hunting leases here in Georgia. I've been told that they are more prevalent north of my area.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've only encountered a few southern fox squirrels and those have had the black head and face with the white ring around it's nose. I'm not a squirrel hunter and only relate to the ones I've seen while deer hunting. I've yet to see one on my last two hunting leases here in Georgia. I've been told that they are more prevalent north of my area.

Around here in Southwest Georgia they`re mostly silver-gray with a black head. Also have solid black, black with a white nose, black with yellow hair mixed all through, pale yellow, and solid pale gray. The two most unique ones I`ve ever seen were one in Lee County that was light gray above with a completely black underside, and one in Seminole County that was brick red with black highlights.

They`re a common sight in certain areas here.

blt152

I'm originally from northeast Ohio and the only color phase squirrels I've seen have been in our gray squirrels. I've seen them with a calico pattern of gray, white and black to solid black. Our grays are considerably smaller than the northern fox squirrel. I would like to see some color phase southern fox squirrels just to see them. I think of all the squirrels I've ever seen they are the prettiest.