St. Croix Customer Service

ssramage

Wanted to share a recent experience with St. Croix here for anyone that may be looking to buy a new rod. I have a 7' Premier Series rod that I have owned since 2013. It has been used and abused extensively since then, but it has always been my go to setup paired with a Shimano Stradic 2500.

I was organizing some stuff in the garage the other day and noticed that the last 10" or so on the rod was broken. I cussed it and chalked it up to stupidity, and began rod shopping. A new one is $170 from BassPro now. On a whim, I called St. Croix and asked if it could be repaired just as a backup for the kids. They took all the info and confirmed it was out of warranty (no surprise there). But to my surprise, they offered to replace it for $80 shipped. I know it's not free, but it was 100% at my fault that it broke and I'm getting a new one for half price basically. Hoping for another 11 years out of this one!

UPDATE: Felt like I needed to come back and update this thread. I got a call back on my warranty claim today and it's not exactly what they said. They called me to discuss options of replacement vs upgrade, etc. I inquired about upgrading to a 7'6" rod since I originally bought this rod for kayak fishing and a longer rod would be preferable for me now... Long story short, they charged me $10 to upgrade to the bigger rod for a total of... $40 shipped. Evidently the $80 replacement originally was incorrect and it was $30 + $10 to upgrade!

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Wanted to share a recent experience with St. Croix here for anyone that may be looking to buy a new rod. I have a 7' Premier Series rod that I have owned since 2013. It has been used and abused extensively since then, but it has always been my go to setup paired with a Shimano Stradic 2500.

I was organizing some stuff in the garage the other day and noticed that the last 10" or so on the rod was broken. I cussed it and chalked it up to stupidity, and began rod shopping. A new one is $170 from BassPro now. On a whim, I called St. Croix and asked if it could be repaired just as a backup for the kids. They took all the info and confirmed it was out of warranty (no surprise there). But to my surprise, they offered to replace it for $80 shipped. I know it's not free, but it was 100% at my fault that it broke and I'm getting a new one for half price basically. Hoping for another 11 years out of this one!
Some times.. just some times mind you... good things happen to good folks for no reason what so ever. Now put a new tip on whats left of the old one and give that to the kids.

Seanote

Losing 10" with a new tip would not compromise the rod. If it was 7' it should increase the rating from M to Heavy or MH to EXH. it should still serve a purpose as a different tool in your arsenal. I have had the same experience with St. Croix before I started building my own.

MYRX

I own quite a few St. Croix rods. The best in my opinion and always great customer service.

Duff

I always love to hear about good customer service!! Great!!

Sixes

Good for you. I quit buying St Croix because of their warranty. After having 3 break in the same spot and them quoting $50 plus shipping both ways for a 120 dollar rod, I swore them off and bought some G Loomis rods at cost.

I've broken 3 G Loomis rods and all were replaced with nothing but shipping cost to them.

But, Im glad it worked out for you

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Good for you. I quit buying St Croix because of their warranty. After having 3 break in the same spot and them quoting $50 plus shipping both ways for a 120 dollar rod, I swore them off and bought some G Loomis rods at cost.

I've broken 3 G Loomis rods and all were replaced with nothing but shipping cost to them.

Well, you could share (with just me if that's better for you) how to get the G Loomis rods at cost. Thanks in advance pal ;)

jdgator

Did the rod guides fail? I really like St. Croix rods for spinning tackle but I do not like their rod guides. I've had all mine replaced with some from Fuji.

Sixes

Did the rod guides fail? I really like St. Croix rods for spinning tackle but I do not like their rod guides. I've had all mine replaced with some from Fuji.
They all broke about an inch or two above the bottom guide. 2 of the 3 on hooksets and the other trying to flip a fish in the boat.

lampern

They all broke about an inch or two above the bottom guide. 2 of the 3 on hooksets and the other trying to flip a fish in the boat.

What model?

I have a premier rod I use for stripers and muskies.

Would not want it to fail flipping a big fish into the boat.

ssramage

Were you trying to flip a Marlin in the boat? :ROFLMAO:

I'm not doubting you at all but I don't think I've ever seen a rod break right there, and definitely not 3 times. I'd expect it to break further down and not in the thickest part of the rod.

How have the G Loomis rods broken? Same way?

Sixes

Were you trying to flip a Marlin in the boat? :ROFLMAO:

I'm not doubting you at all but I don't think I've ever seen a rod break right there, and definitely not 3 times. I'd expect it to break further down and not in the thickest part of the rod.

How have the G Loomis rods broken? Same way?
I've not had a G Loomis break there, but I seem to break them about a foot down from the tip.

I was flipping a red when the MOJO broke.

Richf7

I had a great experience with them too. My two piece Trout Series rod snapped below the third guide from the top. It’s not an inexpensive rod but they’re replacing it for $25.00. Great customer service!

Richf7

I had a great experience with them too. My two piece Trout Series rod snapped below the third guide from the top. It’s not an inexpensive rod but they’re replacing it for $25.00. Great customer service!
UPDATE: They’re sending me a whole new rod because they haven’t received the replacement for the top half. Excellent service!

Richf7

UPDATE: They’re sending me a whole new rod because they haven’t received the replacement for the top half. Excellent service!
New rod arrived. Great company.