Staking Dog Proof’s

Hawken2222

I am new to trapping and tomorrow I am going to set some DP’s for raccoons out on my ground tomorrow. I purchased some 18 inch 3/8 rebar stakes. My question is should I double stake these traps or is one stake sufficient? Thanks in advance for any answers. This is all new to me.

Doug B.

I am new to trapping and tomorrow I am going to set some DP’s for raccoons out on my ground tomorrow. I purchased some 18 inch 3/8 rebar stakes. My question is should I double stake these traps or is one stake sufficient? Thanks in advance for any answers. This is all new to me.
Welcome to the world of trapping!!!

With 18" stakes I would double stake them. Do you have swivels made for double staking? If not, how are you planning to double stake them?

You can also tie them off to a tree or large root with either chain or 1/8" cable.

Hawken2222

Welcome to the world of trapping!!!

With 18" stakes I would double stake them. Do you have swivels made for double staking? If not, how are you planning to double stake them?

You can also tie them off to a tree or large root with either chain or 1/8" cable.
I am not sure about the swivels? I assumed they were made for double staking. I will check though If I did double staking then I was going to pound them into the ground so they cross cross.

furtaker

I single stake for coons and sometimes coyotes with 30 inch rebar. I wouldn't trust a single 18 inch though, even for coons so I would double stake them too.

I've caught many coons by tying the trap off with a piece of chain like Doug said too. It is a little risky though with dog proofs because they can occasionally get wrapped up tight in something and push the spring down and get out of the trap. It doesn't happen too often though.

Doug B.

I stand corrected! Honestly I have never used rebar stakes with dp's for coon. Here where I trap some of the creekbanks and such is really soft and wouldn't trust just one rebar stake unless it was longer.

I would, however, listen to the advice of these other guys that have actually done it successfully.

I wish you good luck with them and be sure and post pictures on here of your catches!

Last edited:

Doug B.

I single stake for coons and sometimes coyotes with 30 inch rebar. I wouldn't trust a single 18 inch though, even for coons so I would double stake them too.

I've caught many coons by tying the trap off with a piece of chain like Doug said too. It is a little risky though with dog proofs because they can occasionally get wrapped up tight in something and push the spring down and get out of the trap. It doesn't happen too often though.
Yeah, I would use a 30" stake and single stake it.

Hawken2222

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will check in the morning and see if I can double stake with the 18” rebar and swivels I have if not I will order longer stakes and maybe get some chain or cable. I sure appreciate everyone’d input this a whole new deal for me.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I just use 14 gauge wire and tie off to saplings bigger than a golf ball, wrap it though the swivel and tree 2 or 3 times so they don't pull against just the twist, then do a good wrap.

What brand brand DP? Most have one or two on the chain

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
What kind of ground are you trapping in? Red clay/sand/mountain ??

Hawken2222

I just use 14 gauge wire and tie off to saplings bigger than a golf ball, wrap it though the swivel and tree 2 or 3 times so they don't pull against just the twist, then do a good wrap.

What brand brand DP? Most have one or two on the chain
I have the T3 Bridger DP I think they are distributed by Minnesota Trap Company

furtaker

I put those little stop shocks on all my coon traps, dog proofs and footholds.

I also have JC Conner shock springs on all of my canine traps. I love shock springs. They keep the animal from getting a firm pull on anything.

sportsman94

I put those little stop shocks on all my coon traps, dog proofs and footholds.

I also have JC Conner shock springs on all of my canine traps. I love shock springs. They keep the animal from getting a firm pull on anything.

I haven’t decided how I feel about shock springs on my canine traps. They seem to fight the trap harder to me with them. I think it’s cause they feel the give, but it’s a more cushioned fight. I have a dozen or two on traps right now, but haven’t committed to putting them on everything yet

furtaker

I haven’t decided how I feel about shock springs on my canine traps. They seem to fight the trap harder to me with them. I think it’s cause they feel the give, but it’s a more cushioned fight. I have a dozen or two on traps right now, but haven’t committed to putting them on everything yet
They're definitely not necessary but I like them.