Stories from the Great Depression of the 1930s

strothershwacker

My granddad left sharecroppin and went to Cleveland Ohio to learn to weld with the Lincoln Electric Company (Lincoln Welders) in 1935. Mr.Lincoln had started the company but couldn't hardly sale the welding machines because folks couldn't hardly use them and where not convinced in the process. A salesman that worked for him by the name of A.F. Davis began the welding school. Granddad received his Arc Welding Certificate on April 25th 1936. Wasn't long and he had made and saved the $ that he went after. Bought a good car, moved back to North GA and bought a lil peice of ground. I love hearing stories about how different folks carved their way through hard times. I still have granddad's welding certificate signed by A.F. Davis himself. Its the oldest one that I know to be in existence.

joepuppy

I love to read these stories. Folks don't realize these times may come again. I knew a man that owned a local steel company that grew up in the hard times. He said his parents would send them to the alley behind the stores to rummage for thrown away meats from the store. They would dig the maggots out with a knife and boil the meat with some rice. He later started a welding shop in my town, and his across town competitor sent word that the town wasn't big enough for 2 welding shops.So he sent word back that if someone had to go, it would have to be him, because he couldn't afford to go anywhere. The man died with more money than I will ever see, but still lived in the same block shotgun house that he grew up in. Didn't believe in banks, either.

Twiggbuster

Dad was born in 27 and is 91 now. Seen it all . Said getting a sack of oranges was a big Christmas. The man never spends a dime and keeps everything. He and the other younguns out in country would run to the dirt road when a old model A would come by. A big event. Tough times made some tough folks.