Strategy

erhunter

Public land hunting this week. Should I go back to the place I heard one early season but couldn't call in? Or go to new area?

What are public land hunters strategies late season? Cover ground or stay still and quiet?

I think the hardest birds to hunt are late season public land birds, cause they don't talk much, they've heard it all, they'll walk right up on you while your scratchin your arse. Haha

turkeykirk

Don't scratch your arse in the woods!

bogeyfree31

I killed 2 late season public land birds last year. Both would gobble their heads off at first light then once they hit the ground shut up.

I found some real fresh dusting bowls and strut marks and hunted there 6 straight mornings.

On day 3 two hens walked up at 9am. After they left, I heard one yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp. 4 notes.

So on day 4, I only made a 4 note yelp after he quit gobbling. 30 minutes later another 4 note yelp. He came in at 9:15 silent.

On Day 6, the last day of the 2015 season, I took my son in there. 4 note yelp at daylight. 4 note yelp 10 minutes later. At 8:45 he came in silent.

So don't call much and be where he travels daily.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
The hens are slowly quittin competing for morning gobblers and many hunters have moved on to other activities. That means nows a great time to be out and hunt hard and patient!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

chadf

Clean your gun !
Sit still.
Call how you want.

Public= respect others, like your like to be treated . I might be there and tell you were a bird is. Scratch leaves.

erhunter

Clean your gun !
Sit still.
Call how you want.

Public= respect others, like your like to be treated . I might be there and tell you were a bird is. Scratch leaves.
I appreciate everyone's advice.

PM me, I'll let you know where I'll be around. I scouted some areas saw a lot of track for what that's worth , cleared a little spot for a blind, headin back on Friday AM.

If really love to get a bird this season.