Stumps in Clearcut

JackSprat

Cleared 20 acres like this. Got to be careful and not crazy. He's made it 87 years now

i am very glad for him and wish him continued good health. It's still a very dangerous method to recommend to a 3rd party.

OP is talking about using a 100 HP, 7600 lb. tractor, - I hope he has a clean change of underwear handy when he tries this.

K80

Convert to fields or food plots. About forty acres.
What age trees or how big across is the stumps?

If converting to fields, will you have livestock on it? Do you want to be able to plow it this year if field?

Sandy soils or clay?

Longhorn 16

What age trees or how big across is the stumps?

If converting to fields, will you have livestock on it? Do you want to be able to plow it this year if field?

Sandy soils or clay?
Clay and no rush to complete the project. It’s all pine stumps 8”-14” and the smaller one are softening a bit. I was thinking a chisel plow with springs that allow for kick up would be a relatively simple way to clean up the area.

Last edited:

Longhorn 16

Really?

I take it you have never tried this. I have. I still have the twisted subsoiler where the tractor rolled up on it.

It is an incredibly dangerous procedure - I don't know of a way to sugar coat that.

I have and used a Fred Cain subsoiler. It has a shear pin that works very well. Maybe your subsoiler doesn’t have a shear pin IDK?

With that being said a subsoiler is not the right attachment for this task.

Longhorn 16

i am very glad for him and wish him continued good health. It's still a very dangerous method to recommend to a 3rd party.

OP is talking about using a 100 HP, 7600 lb. tractor, - I hope he has a clean change of underwear handy when he tries this.

Are familiar with how a spring chisel plow works?

Apparently your have no idea how a spring loaded chisel plow works.

I can’t imagine having a need to change my shorts after watching the plows fold up over a stump and then returning to the down position.

Elkbane

I cut out a 6 acre food plot from a mature pine plantation in March of 2014. Had contractor pop and pile stumps with an excavator on about 4.5 acres, then he had to move off due to equipment commitments.

Here's what you can expect from popping out the stumps. On 4.5 acres, there were 9 HUGE stump piles that took at least a year to dry out enough to burn, and even then, I had to re-consolidate them with a bobcat and burn them again. That takes up a lot of time and a lot of space, planting around the piles.

The remaining stumpy ares, I just planted around the stumps using a springtooth plow for tillage and a disk harrow for smoothing and seed covering. It was a little agravating, but worked fine. Last fall, in September 2017, all of the stumps were rotten enough that I could push them out with my bucket. I don't have huge equipment, just a Kubota L4600.

These were 14-15" dbh trees, so probably 18" diameter stumps. about 45/acre. Your situation may be different, but if it were mine, and I had 2 years of age on the stumps, I'd plant around them for another year and let them rot, unless you are trying to turn the place into a production ag field. In the mean time, I'd spend money focusing on getting weeds under control and getting the ph right.

Elkbane

Longhorn 16

I cut out a 6 acre food plot from a mature pine plantation in March of 2014. Had contractor pop and pile stumps with an excavator on about 4.5 acres, then he had to move off due to equipment commitments.

Here's what you can expect from popping out the stumps. On 4.5 acres, there were 9 HUGE stump piles that took at least a year to dry out enough to burn, and even then, I had to re-consolidate them with a bobcat and burn them again. That takes up a lot of time and a lot of space, planting around the piles.

The remaining stumpy ares, I just planted around the stumps using a springtooth plow for tillage and a disk harrow for smoothing and seed covering. It was a little agravating, but worked fine. Last fall, in September 2017, all of the stumps were rotten enough that I could push them out with my bucket. I don't have huge equipment, just a Kubota L4600.

These were 14-15" dbh trees, so probably 18" diameter stumps. about 45/acre. Your situation may be different, but if it were mine, and I had 2 years of age on the stumps, I'd plant around them for another year and let them rot, unless you are trying to turn the place into a production ag field. In the mean time, I'd spend money focusing on getting weeds under control and getting the ph right.

Elkbane

Thanks for your input. Sounds like you did what I am wanting to do. I would rather let them rot and plant each spring and fall until there all gone.

j_seph

Really?

I take it you have never tried this. I have. I still have the twisted subsoiler where the tractor rolled up on it.

It is an incredibly dangerous procedure - I don't know of a way to sugar coat that.
For 1 I did not recommend this, I simply made a statement as to how my dad did it. Heck I even drove the tractor some when I was 15 and did it. What I did recommend was GA Forestry. They came and done some plots for me and was way faster than a tractor using their dozer.

fountain

Is it possible to harrow between the rows for now?

Best bet is to get someone with a big dozer and go ahead and clear it up and then burn the piles. In another year or two, they should be rotted down enough to harrow over and bust. The forestry will do that if they will somewhat bust when ran over

southernman13

If you get the debris clean before piling it up it will burn rather quickly. Dirt don’t burn. We do it all the time and burn as soon as we get it piled up if conditions warrant ie weather and burnt permit availability

I can't offer a ton of advice on what to do to get the stumps up. I had 2 smaller plots clear cut and then had the stumps pushed up and the area root raked. Instead of piling and burning, I had the genleman "windrow" the stump piles down the sides of the new plot, leaving selected opening for deer travel. I did this to create a visual barrier between the pines and the plot. This seems to make the deer feel more comfortable and it keeps bucks from "surveying" the plot from inside the wood line come rut. They actually have to come into the plot to get eyes on the ladies this way.....and you dont have to burn and bury all that junk. PM me and I can text some photos

tree cutter 08

With 40 acres to clear, you could hire someone with a excavator to just dig them. Use your tractor to move the stumps into piles. You will come out cheaper that way by the time you burn fuel in your tractor trying to dig and fix what gets tore up. Stumps are rough on equipment. Very rough

JackSprat

With 40 acres to clear, you could hire someone with a excavator to just dig them. Use your tractor to move the stumps into piles. You will come out cheaper that way by the time you burn fuel in your tractor trying to dig and fix what gets tore up. Stumps are rough on equipment. Very rough

Not if you have a spring loaded chisel plow -the stumps will bounce right up into the air.

Longhorn 16

Not if you have a spring loaded chisel plow -the stumps will bounce right up into the air.

Did I ever state that I wanted the stumps out of the ground? Did you know wood rots? Are you an angry person or just not open to other views than your own.

Once again your comments are of zero benefit? Reading comprehension escapes some folks?

Longhorn 16

I have cleared a half dozen small plots in clear cut using the same method. I actually don’t want to get the stumps up. I prefer to let them rot in place and letting the twice a year plowing and time convert the area to good tillable land. Using the chisel plow won’t mess with the top soil much yet can handle the stumps. The ability for the plow to kick up keeps it from getting damaged.

Thanks for your input and if I was in a hurry I would probably go with your advice.

Longhorn 16

I can't offer a ton of advice on what to do to get the stumps up. I had 2 smaller plots clear cut and then had the stumps pushed up and the area root raked. Instead of piling and burning, I had the genleman "windrow" the stump piles down the sides of the new plot, leaving selected opening for deer travel. I did this to create a visual barrier between the pines and the plot. This seems to make the deer feel more comfortable and it keeps bucks from "surveying" the plot from inside the wood line come rut. They actually have to come into the plot to get eyes on the ladies this way.....and you dont have to burn and bury all that junk. PM me and I can text some photos

That sounds like a good setup. However I do not want to deal with stumps up out of the ground. Thanks for the input.

K80

Sounds like you need a mulcher to run over it.