Swallow's Creek Opening Week

sportsman94

/Is anyone planning on hunting/camping in or around Swallows creek opening week? All members of my party have backed out and my wife is nearly in tears begging me not to go alone. It would put her mind at ease if I could find someone to share camp with. Heck, is anyone camping at any of the mountain WMAs for first week of bow season? I will come camp wherever you are just to be able to go bear hunting this bow season.

I was planning to go 9/14 - 9/19, but can adjust dates as needed.

Sorry if this sounds like a sissy post. I am more than willing to camp/hunt alone, but my wife has conjured in her head that I will fall of a bluff to my death. Yall know the saying about mama being happy. Any help is greatly appreciated!

sportsman94

Do like I do and threaten to bring her with you, she'll either go or back off if she don't wanna go.
I tried it... She works in the school system and just took off a week with a COVID scare so she doesnt have the additional time off.

Everything was ok until she talked to her mom. She told her a story of an old boyfriend of hers who fell off a rock face and was paralyzed from the neck down. They arent very outdoorsy

sportsman94

Buy a satellite communicator from amazon. Get it in two days, activate service, text her every couple hours.
There are places you can hunt on CNF that have cell service. Camp as well. You just need a ridgetop with a view of a town.

I suggested that as well. She is worried something will happen and I wont be able to get to the communicator. I told her if I cant get to the communicator then having someone else there probably wouldnt help anyways. Im working on it still. I told her it doesnt matter if she or anyone else is there with me. If they arent hunting the same exact spot I am they would likely have a hard time finding me.

splatek

UAEC
/Is anyone planning on hunting/camping in or around Swallows creek opening week? All members of my party have backed out and my wife is nearly in tears begging me not to go alone. It would put her mind at ease if I could find someone to share camp with. Heck, is anyone camping at any of the mountain WMAs for first week of bow season? I will come camp wherever you are just to be able to go bear hunting this bow season.

I was planning to go 9/14 - 9/19, but can adjust dates as needed.

Sorry if this sounds like a sissy post. I am more than willing to camp/hunt alone, but my wife has conjured in her head that I will fall of a bluff to my death. Yall know the saying about mama being happy. Any help is greatly appreciated!

i have to echo what others say, satellite communicator. It’s eased my woman’s mind. If I’m out of service I’ll send her a little message to let her know. It even has a function where she could follow me, but I guess she don’t love me enough because that feature ain’t ever been activated. I’d tell you if you live close to me tell her to come hang with my girl and our one year old. My girl always uses hunting trips to do “projects”
Came home from an overnight trip last year and she painted three rooms and out w in a new fireplace mantle. She does the stuff is probably veto when I’m in the woods. I don’t complain because I’m not about to NOT go to the woods.

ddd-shooter

I suggested that as well. She is worried something will happen and I wont be able to get to the communicator. I told her if I cant get to the communicator then having someone else there probably wouldnt help anyways. Im working on it still. I told her it doesnt matter if she or anyone else is there with me. If they arent hunting the same exact spot I am they would likely have a hard time finding me.
Tell her I been hunting up here in the mountains for decades, haven't fallen off yet...?

I can't recall last time I heard of a hunter dying in the woods. Couple boys got lost near cohutta a year or two back coon hunting.

bghann38

I’m headed out alone as well but wife is more comfortable since I was able to take her out hiking with me so she knows the area I’ll be in/where I’m setting up shop. Also helps that I have decent cell service.

Good luck to you this weekend and stay safe out there! Don’t let it stop you. Can’t wait to see everyone’s pictures of opening weekend.

Heimdall

Buy a satellite communicator from amazon. Get it in two days, activate service, text her every couple hours.
There are places you can hunt on CNF that have cell service. Camp as well. You just need a ridgetop with a view of a town.

This is what I do. Brought the Zoleo for $199 there’s a monthly fee but gives you piece of mind, and the wife. With the app sync’d to the device you can send and receive sms along with your gps location. Also ties in to the emergency services if needed in an SOS situation.

https://www.zoleo.com/en-us/?gclid=...xdnQpq9OnZ6QeV5RdF43Ox6bV5dRUqmBoC69cQAvD_BwE