Swimming in Alaska

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I thought I would share these pictures with the forum. I have had the great fortune to spend about five weeks every summer in Alaska for the last few years. I always see a lot of wildlife, this year I saw something you guys might enjoy. I was moving up a straight that was over a quarter mile wide, the water was about 800 feet deep and I am guessing not much over 50 degrees. I saw something in the water ahead. No big deal as I often see trees floating in that area and not at all unusual with all the rain we had had.

As I got closer the shape looked more like the fins of a fish/whale, So I quickly vectored towards. As I got closer I could tell it was not a sea creature. I was surprised to see a momma and fawn swimming across the straight. Now that I knew it was a deer, I was much closer than I wanted, I threw the engine into neutral to reduce wake and then moved to give momma plenty of room. I was much closer to the deer before I decided to pull my camera out, I could have gotten a much better shot (I hope you can see them), but I was pretty surprised to see deer that far out.

Momma took baby accrosss right at low tide. The island that they swam from was about 40 acres (a conservative guess) and they were swimming towards a much larger land mass. Locals widely believe that deer swim out to these islands to drop fawns safe from wolves (who don’t like to swim that far). I thought it was interesting that momma did slow down a few times to feel the fawns front legs hit her back, she never looked back and swam as fast as the fawn could follow. As I watched them swim across I had to think about how tough those deer where. Momma was teaching her fawn A life lesson in survival, making the fawn better for it. They made it all the way across and I saw them land on a beach. Baby had wobbly legs as they moved into the brush. Funny thing is, I had seen a large pod of orca (6-8) almost a year ago move through that very straight. One was a very large male.

Attachments

• A80552C0-4CF8-46CB-AF45-3C4F093D2AD9.jpeg
    A80552C0-4CF8-46CB-AF45-3C4F093D2AD9.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 131
  • E39369E6-0E56-4509-8D2B-A9076FBC7A8B.jpeg
    E39369E6-0E56-4509-8D2B-A9076FBC7A8B.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 134

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I did a quick search and found a picture of the orca I saw last year... I was focused on the big one so you can’t see the others... that is the same shoreline in the background. Like I said, it was a dangerous swim no matter what.

Attachments

• 5A329449-8501-42CA-A28F-2A9EEAB26A7F.jpeg
    5A329449-8501-42CA-A28F-2A9EEAB26A7F.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 9648147D-FF31-4B68-9082-9255B3A6C4CB.jpeg
    9648147D-FF31-4B68-9082-9255B3A6C4CB.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 29

wvdawg

Staff member
Amazing how a young animal can learn to swim so quickly!
I once had the pleasure to see a deer swim across the Ohio River from Ohio to WV. A very wide river with moving water - the deer made it seem effortless, but I'll bet those legs were churning underneath!
Cool captures!

Wayne D Davis

I've seen deer swim a part of Allatoona lake here. From Red Top mt. All the way across. I bet is over a quarter mile stretch across where I seen them

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Cool pics!

AceOfTheBase

Very cool story & also on the orca's.
About where in AK where you ??
Thinking of putting an AK fishing trip together next year, if the stars align..

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Very cool story & also on the orca's.
About where in AK where you ??
Thinking of putting an AK fishing trip together next year, if the stars align..
Those pictures where taken about 20 miles west of Ketchikan.

Fishing is great. I do a lot of fly fishing. But I got to tell you the most fun is Halibut. We got a 80 pounder this year. It is a team sport and the only pictures of that big one has other folks in it, so I won’t share them online, but here are some pictures of some smaller ones. We had a great year, we fished for Halibut only a few hours total 02DF32DC-C5D1-448E-8B70-48ADE8DDCF1D.jpeg(two separate days) and caught four between three of us. Normally we fish a lot longer for the same yield.