T/C Contender Turkey gun

pacecars

I sent Shultz Precision my 14” vent rib .45/410 Contender barrel to have them work some magic on it. They machined the helical rifling away and added straight rifling and installed an extended choke tube. Can’t wait to see what kind of patterns I can get with lead for squirrels and TSS for Turkeys. Ruined it for .45 Colt but that wasn’t the reason I got it anyway. I am thinking I might try a red dot of some kind on it

Big7

The Oracle
Never heard of straight rifling before.

What is the benefit of that over smooth bore if you are going to only shoot shotgun shells?

pacecars

Never heard of straight rifling before.

What is the benefit of that over smooth bore if you are going to only shoot shotgun shells?

The rifling makes it legal. If it were a smooth bore it would require a tax stamp as a short barreled shot gun. It is still considered a .45 caliber pistol with the straight rifling. What you fire in it is irrelevant

Big7

The Oracle
The rifling makes it legal. If it were a smooth bore it would require a tax stamp as a short barreled shot gun. It is still considered a .45 caliber pistol with the straight rifling. What you fire in it is irrelevant
Sounds about right for the goober*ment.

How is there enough material left to add straight rifling if the if the lands are cut out to the groove diameter?

Do they bore it out to a larger groove diameter and then cut the lands?

Never heard of straight rifling. Always thought there were just 4 types.

pacecars

The barrel is thicker than a shotgun barrel so has some meat o. It to begin with. The original rifling is machined away and then shallow groove straight rifling is machined back into the barrel. The new rifling is more or less to make it a legal pistol. There are some shotguns that have straight rifles choke tubes to stop the wad from spinning which may or may not improve patterning. I am not a big shotgun guy but I do know a lot of people have had Shultz’s modification done and they are getting excellent Turkey killing patterns with TSS at 40 yards

deerslayer357

I will have to look into this! I killed a bird with my encore 45/410 pistol a couple years ago. The tss patterned decent to 25 yards, and I killed the bird at 18 steps.

What is the turn around time and cost associated with the work?

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpeg
    IMG_0948.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 6

pacecars

$270 and about two weeks

deast1988

Foxtrot legend 1oz #9.5x10
Nitro t4100 #9.5, #9x10
Foxtrot 383 stroker #9.5

I wouldn’t recommend, Federal, Apex, Browning, Fiochhi, Remington,

The smaller boutique shops, out shoot the bigger ones. The .410 is a fickle beast, it’s a pain to get it figured out. Literally .001 can add or subtract 20 hits in a 10in circle.

If you find the combo, you’ll have some fun with it. 200” at 40 in a 10in will take you out to 50yds +.

But 160/180, will Absolutely crush one at 40yds.

I’ve seen the kauger arms, seen the encore and contender guys. Post 35/45yd birds taken clean with .410 tss. I know even some reloaders that can’t replicate the numbers off some of the combos I stated. I haven’t done it because the testing to cost to get it to my 180” mark would be significant.

I have a 870 pump, Sumtoy .383 180” at 40yds.
CVA single shot .385 Indian creek 208” at 40yds.

I’ve messed with them a bunch, just maybe a starting place for you. I’ll follow to see how it turns out.

pacecars

Thanks. I have been handloading TSS in a 28 ga and it gets fantastic patterns but it does get expensive in a hurry. The 410 seems to be more economical, relatively speaking.

pacecars

Once I get it in my hands and work up some loads or buy some ammo I will post my results

ShortMagFan

Took me a while to find a combo that worked to my liking in my 18” 410. But once I found one (385 comp n choke shooting Boss Tom 10s) it blew everything else away. Last shot I counted was 198 in the 10” @ lasered 40

pacecars

Got the barrel today. It looks great inside and out. I tried getting a pic of the rifling but it didn’t work out with the cell phone. Here are a few I took