Talk Me Into - Or Out Of - a .338 Lapua Magnum

Dub

75 shots per jar of powder.

Thats a big burn for ringing steel.

Then again, you’ll potentially be ringing steel beyond the range of most everyone else, lol.…..assuming you have the optics onboard to put you clearly in target….as well as hold up to that recoil over time. $3K plus for glass like that, I’m guessing.

People seem to come down in two camps on this one…..either have no desire to mess with it…..or are feverishly scratching together the funds to do it.

I am grateful that I don’t have the itch. :rofl:

Edit: corrected typos. My cellphone hates me.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
All good points...the .338 Win Mag is my largest and only medium bore...everything else is smaller...and I have a bunch in there....223, 5.56, .25-06, .243, .270, .30-06, 7MM-08, .308, .270 WSM, .38-55, 6MM ARC, 6.5 CM, etc. I do like the new Nosler and Norma rounds too...
WM is not on the same planet as LM.
Just Sayin.

But yeah. I'd buy one if I wanted too. ?

Tight Lines

75 shots per jar of powder.

Thats a big burn for ringing steel.

Then again, you’ll potentially be ringing steel beyond the range of most everyone else, lol.…..assuming you have the optics onboard to put you clearly in target….as well as hold up to that recoil over time. $3K plus for glass like that, I’m guessing.

People seem to come down in two camps on this one…..either have no desire to mess with it…..or are scratch together the funds to do it.

I am grateful that I don’t have the itch. :rofl:

I actually think I've talked myself out of it with you guys help...at least for now...I still have a 5.56 to finish and a 6MM ARC build started...going to finish those, and then maybe think about the .300 NM or one of the new Noslers. I think the .338 LM is just not that different than my .338 Win Mag and if I am going to do it I am going to go .50 BMG or an AI with multiple barrels.

But, I am in process on 4 bathrooms and since they are way over budget I'm going to finish what I have for now and sit tight...

Thanks for all the guidance and feedback...

Tight Lines

WM is not on the same planet as LM.
Just Sayin.

But yeah. I'd buy one if I wanted too. ?

Yeah, different, but there isn't that much difference in a .338 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag, and .338 LM, at least within reason...

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/300-win-mag-vs-338-lapua-vs-338-win-mag/

And I have 2 of the 3 already...and that .300 Win Mag isn't a fun gun to shoot...it is a Tikka synthetic T3 and will hammer the crap out of ya...it is great for carrying up the mountains out west, but it ain't for a lot of shootin' that's for sure!

Big7

The Oracle
400 fps is a lot in the same weight boolit

I had the WM in a M77 MII and even I ? wouldn't warm that heavy a boolit to those pressures.

6.8 Western looks good on paper pushing heavy, good BC's without the pounding. Ain't never shot one and 6.8 is an odd caliber to handload.

300 WM don't cover any bases for me, so there's that.

Sooner or later, somebody will neck down a 700 Nitro to 5 MM and that will be.....

EPIC ?

ryanh487

That depends. Are you willing to use it for what it was made for should the time come in your lifetime, or are you just going to make it harder to find ammo for those of us that will.

ChidJ

Another option that could work for you as far as a lefty switch barrel big magnum platform is the Sako M10. Just another thing to consider

Tight Lines

Another option that could work for you as far as a lefty switch barrel big magnum platform is the Sako M10. Just another thing to consider
Are you a lefty? You seem to know more than most...I have several Tikka and Sako as they make great left handed options...

Dub

Oh I'd have no issue using any of my weapons for their intended purpose should the need arise, and I'm well stocked on all fronts...

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Go ahead and buy it. Guns don't have to be needed to be wanted. If I still lived in Arizona I would have purchased one. Big guns equal big fun.

@KS Bow Hunter disregard my prior thoughts expressed in this thread.

I was having a weak moment, or musta bumped my head or something.

We only live once.

@GregoryB. is spot-on above.

:biggestshoot:

I believe I will follow his logic and add another 1911 or 2011 one day soon.....only live once. :rofl:

sleepr71

You have 4 bathrooms to finish..? In my experience…when the Mrs. is all done…you’ll(maybe) have enough $$ left over to buy a brick of .22LR..☠️? As far as the 338LM…whew..that’s a lot of horsepower to unleash & I’d be afraid of developing a terrible flinch. Detached Retinas & broken Clavicles are a real risk when you move into calibers like that. There,I gave you a bunch of reasons NOT to do it..?

Tight Lines

You have 4 bathrooms to finish..? In my experience…when the Mrs. is all done…you’ll(maybe) have enough $$ left over to buy a brick of .22LR..☠️? As far as the 338LM…whew..that’s a lot of horsepower to unleash & I’d be afraid of developing a terrible flinch. Detached Retinas & broken Clavicles are a real risk when you move into calibers like that. There,I gave you a bunch of reasons NOT to do it..?
Yeah and with the material and supply shortages we can't really be that picky unless we go really cheap which we are not doing...

Reactions: Dub