Team 10 Outlaws

c400bronco

Had a hen walk right through my set up, 5 yds from my jake decoy, the gobblers got fired up at about 10 and were closing in on me for about an hour, one east and one west, when they sounded like they turned the other way I chased the one to the east but he just got farther away. Lots of excitement but no bird, All I can do is keep trying.

Curtis-UGA

Had a hen walk right through my set up, 5 yds from my jake decoy, the gobblers got fired up at about 10 and were closing in on me for about an hour, one east and one west, when they sounded like they turned the other way I chased the one to the east but he just got farther away. Lots of excitement but no bird, All I can do is keep trying.

Just keep doggin them! Its a game and is hard to figure out sometimes! Every hunt is a learning experience. you are always rewarded in the turkey woods but not every reward is a bird!

Ricochet

Killed 1 in SC but...

Guys, I killed a nice gobbler in the SC low country this past Saturday but I forgot to get the pictures we need for the contest. I apologize...it slipped my mind due to the excitement of the hunt. I was calling folks about the awesome hunt I had while my guide cleaned the bird and I didn't think to take more photos till afterward. :O

It was a picture perfect hunt with him gobbling, strutting, spitting and drumming all the way in! Then he died of 20ga lead poisoning at 20 steps. It was a beautiful hunt, to say the least!

Sunday we got on some birds to find out they were Super Jakes or I would have had another 1 to add to my total. I will post up video of these little bad boys later.

Any ways, I plan to head to the place I killed my GA bird again the weekend of May 8th. Plus, chase a bird that has showed up at another spot. So, if all goes well I will still get 2 more birds in GA.

4537598405_4138b7df1a.jpg

4538216112_077dfc21f4.jpg

Last edited:

bird_dawg

Just to show y'all what kind of year I've been having:

Long story short. I went yesterday afternoon and got on a bird that was gobbling like it was cracking daylight. I just knew he was going to die.

He was down in a little bottom and I circled way around and got above him on the edge of the bottom that he was in. I waited to catch my breath, I got about 1/2 a purr out and he cut me off. So I shut up and he gobbled 4-5 more times. I called REALLY soft and he cut me off. It was getting a little late and I knew he was going to try to go to roost soon so I started purring and cutting and he tripple gobbled. About that time I hear something walking, & just knew it was him.

I was hidden by some small oaks & could only see about a foot from the ground and I see something white (thinking it was his wing feathers). So I wait for him to walk into my gun sight and bout the time this should've happened I look down and see that it is an Armadillo!!!!!!

I was ticked to say the least! But that thing kept walking closer and closer so close in fact that I literally had to hit it w/ my gun barrel to make it stop walking towards me!

I call to see where the bird was and he was deeper in the bottom in the stinking tree.

Well, I'm going to get back on him this afternoon and I hope that my luck will change.

Ricochet

Just to show y'all what kind of year I've been having:

Long story short. I went yesterday afternoon and got on a bird that was gobbling like it was cracking daylight. I just knew he was going to die.

He was down in a little bottom and I circled way around and got above him on the edge of the bottom that he was in. I waited to catch my breath, I got about 1/2 a purr out and he cut me off. So I shut up and he gobbled 4-5 more times. I called REALLY soft and he cut me off. It was getting a little late and I knew he was going to try to go to roost soon so I started purring and cutting and he tripple gobbled. About that time I hear something walking, & just knew it was him.

I was hidden by some small oaks & could only see about a foot from the ground and I see something white (thinking it was his wing feathers). So I wait for him to walk into my gun sight and bout the time this should've happened I look down and see that it is an Armadillo!!!!!!

I was ticked to say the least! But that thing kept walking closer and closer so close in fact that I literally had to hit it w/ my gun barrel to make it stop walking towards me!

I call to see where the bird was and he was deeper in the bottom in the stinking tree.

Well, I'm going to get back on him this afternoon and I hope that my luck will change.

Dang! Hang in there!

Curtis-UGA

Hey guys we are still in the mix if we can lay a few more down! I wish we could enter more than 3 per person that would really help!

bird_dawg

FINALLY!!!!!! Got one. I'll get the pics a little later. Here's the story.

I took my wife w/ me after that bird in my previous post. She is my good luck charm! The only other time she went with me we saw a show but didn't close the deal. I thought to myself that dadgumit, I'm not going to let that bird hang up in the bottom again so we got down in the bottom where I sat before I realized the bird had flown up in the tree.

He had gobbled a couple of times and was in the same area that I left him the other day which if you are facing straight ahead he gobbled at my 2:00. I was ready for him to come on up through the bottom like he did the other day. So I call and he cuts me off. I told myself that I wasn't going to call much and it worked. The only thing is he didn't come through the bottom. He came from behind us.

My wife actually heard him walking behind us before I did. I heard him walking and was CLOSE!!!! Where we were he would've had to walk on top of us to get to us. So I turned slowly to my left & I am left handed. I saw his head started to turn and he saw me so I quickly turned and put it on him and BOOM.

He had a 10 1/4 inch beard. I think we'll only get credit for 10 inches because my pics didn't turn out as well as I wanted. 1 inch spurr, the other one was broken off.

I've got the monkey off my back now I can relax and get it done. Pics to come a little later.

Attachments

• My turkey 002.jpg
    My turkey 002.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 147
  • My turkey 007.jpg
    My turkey 007.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 153
  • My turkey 008.jpg
    My turkey 008.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Curtis-UGA

Great job bird dawg! I know the birds at my club in Taylor Co were wearing it out this weekend! I wish I lived down there, awesome hunting!

bird_dawg

Thanks guys. I'm finally getting to go back to where I called up all of those birds opening day and the same place my dad killed his first bird tomorrow! I can't wait!

klemsontigers7

I've been the past 4 mornings with a different person each time. We haven't closed the deal this week. I wasn't hunting, I was just calling except this morning when I was just filming weathermantrey. There was another hunter between us and the gobbler and he shut up when he flew down... sounded like he flew down right on top of the guy but he never shot. After listening to silent woods (other than the "hen" in front of us, we walked up there to see that guy sitting in front of a tree. Not sure how he didn't kill him. Oh well... I got a GA spot picked out for tomorrow morning but we'll see if I roll out of bed. It's hard getting up every morning and then working.

bird_dawg

Got another one!!!! Story and pics to come soon!!!

Ricochet

Got another one!!!! Story and pics to come soon!!!
Congrats...right on!

I came close to one late this morning (between thunderstorms). He was in a draw and I couldn't tell which way he was coming. He might have seen me move into a better position. I'm not sure, but he gobbled one last time and it sounded like he was going away from me. Of course, all of this happens 15 minutes before a thunderstorm rolls in and I had to get out of there. Ugh! At least I know he is there now, so hopefully I will have better news to report tomorrow. ::;

klemsontigers7

Keep after them Ricochet. If I had a place to hunt near here I would have been out there when the thundering was going on. I'm sure there were so many birds sounding off to the rolling thunder that it would scare ya.

Congrats...right on!

I came close to one late this morning (between thunderstorms). He was in a draw and I couldn't tell which way he was coming. He might have seen me move into a better position. I'm not sure, but he gobbled one last time and it sounded like he was going away from me. Of course, all of this happens 15 minutes before a thunderstorm rolls in and I had to get out of there. Ugh! At least I know he is there now, so hopefully I will have better news to report tomorrow. ::;

Curtis-UGA

Congrats...right on!

You know where he is now go give him a face full of lead.... or copper plated... or hevi shot ....or rocks I guess if your that good.... by all means kill him!!

Curtis-UGA

Boys I am ready! Had to work this weekend then stuck inside the house watching it rain but..... Tuesday night I will be on a plane to Branson Missouri and Wednesday morning I will be on a 2000 acre cattle farm in the Ozark mountains with 2 fresh turkey tickets in my pocket!