Team 10 Outlaws

Ricochet

You know where he is now go give him a face full of lead.... or copper plated... or hevi shot ....or rocks I guess if your that good.... by all means kill him!!

I was out there this AM and it stopped raining before day break, but no dice. I stayed in the area I had my close encounter with him yesterday for 4+ hours. Ugh! All I had was a hen cruise by me at 10 yards and later 2 stray dogs chasing a deer in almost the same spot. I figured I would at least hear him gobble on the roost, but he must not roost any where near this section of woods. :confused:

Good luck Curtis in Missouri! :shoot:

Last edited:

bird_dawg

Alright guys, sorry that I haven't given y'all anything. I went with a buddy of mine and was calling for him. We set up and we had 8-10 birds hammering. My buddy set up facing down a road and I set up facing down in a bottom.

The birds that I was set up on were a pretty good piece away but the birds that my buddy was set up on were pretty close. They fly down on my buddy's side and start running to us. I could only sit there and watch as 6 grown birds strut and gobble at us about 25 yards away. I waited until they separated a little and I cut at em and all 6 gobbled (man that was intense!!) My buddy put the bead on one and that was all she wrote.

Where I was I couldn't get a shot. We admired the bird and stood there and talked a little bit. We started to head back to the truck and all of a sudden back from where we came GGGOOOBBBBLLLEEE. My buddy said "I'll wait here you go get him.

So I circled around and got almost in the same spot that I had set up on with my buddy. As I'm catching my breath I look down in the bottom that I was facing and I see his head bobbing towards me. I called and he cut me off. He had to come through some trash to get to me and I thought it was almost too thick but there was a little path that wound around from my left to right which worked out for me cause I shoot left handed.

It took him a while but he finaly came through all that trash and when he got to me in the clear spot that I was sitting in he started strutting I purred and clucked and he double gobbled. He came out of strut and walked a few more yards and I shot him at 27 yards. Then the skys opened up and I got soaked. But man was it worth it!

He was a carbon copy of my first bird. 10.25 inch beard and inch spurs.

Attachments

• My turkey 012.jpg
    My turkey 012.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 127
  • My turkey 013.jpg
    My turkey 013.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 126
  • My turkey 015.jpg
    My turkey 015.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 123

Ricochet

Bad news, my sister has thrown a monkey wrench into the spot/deal where I blasted my first bird earlier in the season. :mad: I planned on going there again next weekend. Unfortunately this is her connection, and there was some behind the scenes stuff I didn't know about. Plus, she can't be bothered on Mother's Day weekend with my crew visiting...even though she is always saying our kids don't get to see each other enough. As you can see I'm a little angry but it's her prerogative and I guess she doesn't understand how much it means to me. I actually wanted to go back mainly for my son to get him his first bird, and if it worked out...bag myself another one as well.

I still have 2 spots to hunt near my house. I haven't been to my grandpa's place yet and will rotate between there and the place I got on a bird this past Saturday. These places are very hit or miss...so hopefully at least 1 of them will be a hit. Being there at the right time is everything, since I have never heard them roosting at these places. Lastly, I have 2 other places I could hunt but I'm not sure what the status is with them.

I wish I had a set place to hunt with a good turkey population (resident gobblers). Maybe I will win the lottery some day and get Mossy Oak Properties to hook me up! LOL ::; ;)

Last edited:

bird_dawg

Man, I know how it feels to lose a spot or get your spot messed up.

Ricochet

Man, I know how it feels to lose a spot or get your spot messed up.
Yeah, it really stinks. My sister was my hero 3 weeks ago, and now she is back to being a pain (to put it nicely). You've got to love siblings. However, I might have a possible work around so I can still hunt there next weekend...improvise, adapt, overcome. We shall see.

bird_dawg

Guys, the way I figure it is that right now we are tied for 8th. I know that huntinfool has just updated the points but I don't think they include this past week. I killed 1 for 5 that would put us at a tie for 5th and I think Curtis made us proud in Mizzoo w/ 2 more so that would be 10 for 55 putting us in 3rd by 2. (of course all of this figuring is for not if the other teams ahead of us have killed some birds.

We are in striking distance guys. I'm going to hunt my rear off these final weeks for that final bird. At any rate it has been a blast and I have sure enjoyed teaming w/ yall.

klemsontigers7

The birds that Curtis killed won't get us any points because me and him both already have our limit. We are still in striking distance though.

c400bronco

I hate it that I'm the only one not on the board yet. I have been working 12-13 hrs a day pretty consistantly and havent been able to get in the woods, I had planned on going this morning but I figured it was too windy. Sorry I dont seem to be holding up my end of the bargain, I havent given up, just a little down on myself. Hopefully I can seal the deal in the last two weeks.

Ricochet

I thought I would get 1 of the boys on the place near my house yesterday AM. I got a text that the land owner had 2 birds strutting in his front yard, so I moved that way and setup in the woods about 100 yards out. They would not come to my calls nor could I get them to gobble. I heard them later on behind his house in the woods. I heard hens and a half gobble or 2, so they may have been Jakes or Toms with hens. Such is my luck on this place...I still have 2 more chances there before the season ends.

Plus, I plan to hunt this weekend at the place I killed my 1st bird earlier in the season. I think I have the details worked out (without my goofball sister's "help")...it would be very cool to double on some birds there with my son!

bird_dawg

Alright guys, I received some fantastic news. I'll get to go back to the place where I killed my second bird this weekend. So far I've been a part of taking 3 birds off that place. Called 2 up for other folks and killed one myself. I hope to limit out this weekend.

Ricochet

Alright guys, I received some fantastic news. I'll get to go back to the place where I killed my second bird this weekend. So far I've been a part of taking 3 birds off that place. Called 2 up for other folks and killed one myself. I hope to limit out this weekend.

Right on...good luck!

The land owner near my house called me last night around 6:30 to tell me a huge Tom and hens where in his yard. I will have at least 2 more chances to bust him.

Plus, I'm going to firm up plans tonight to hunt the turkey mecca in west Georgia (again) for this weekend.

bird_dawg

Good luck to you too! Maybe you and I can close out on a strong note and pull us in striking distace. c400bronco, we still have faith in ya man. Hope you have some good luck too!

bird_dawg

Well guys, no luck! I think they are about done. I ran into a big string of bad luck. I had a golf cart scare one right out from under me and on 2 different occasions, I had hens take birds away. One of my back up places that I got permission to hunt on was occupied by a logging crew that was going at it so no birds gobbling.

Didn't hear too much in the woods, I think the weather/time of year also had a lot to do with it. Well, I'm going to get one more crack at it this Sat so maybe I can get'r done!

c400bronco

Sure thing Klemson, I was thinking about going to the lease, but I would be using my obviously not so good tactics. You still have GA birds to bag too dont you?

Ricochet

No dice, my son and I got on one Saturday morning. He would not come through some thick stuff to our log road setup. So, we moved up the road to a better a spot (next to our camp site)...luckily we did not get busted. I was able to call him in, but 60 yards out he spotted us about the same time I saw him. He starts getting edgy and alarm putts, so I took a quick shot at him and missed. He was further than I thought he was and I'm sure some little trees got in the way...it was a clean miss. We at least had a good hunt and my son experienced a gobbler up close for the first time.

The wind this weekend really messed things up (especially yesterday) and things didn't go well this morning. I still have 1 more shot this Saturday...we shall see.

klemsontigers7

Fellers, who is going tomorrow? Does anyone need help? I'm in Atlanta but heading back to SC tomorrow so I can meet you before daylight anywhere between Austell and SC state line on 85.

bird_dawg

I'll be hard at it!!!!! Hopefully I can tag out again this year. I think last weekend was a fluke that the birds weren't cooperating. That weather just had them all screwed up. Should be a fine day to end the season. Good luck to all.