Team 23 Swamp Roosters

Kwaksmoka

Go get'em cuz, get a monster Tom. I wish I was out there today! I won't be able to go again until next week some time!

southGAlefty

I had 2 in front of me spitting and drumming at 40 yards and didn't pull the trigger this morning. Long story but I ran out of 3 inch shells for my Beretta and wasn't comfortable with the 2 3/4" Remington 1100 and #6's at that distance so I let them walk. They lived to die another day...I got some really awesome footage of them though. I'll post the vid later on. Good luck fellas.

duckndeerhuntinRN

got two..

Well I doubled for the first time this am..read yalls threads and agree its hard to just about finish the season, but I dont get to hunt a whole lot.So its definatly bitter sweet for me. could have limited out, but that would have ruined the rest of the season. killed one at 655 and the other one at 730. I shot a nice one , then move to some other ones gobbling and two came strutting in to the red neck hen (mouth call TT). the second was bigger than the first and I decided to take him..pics to come..I think the second may have bonus for the beard havnt measured yet..Thank You God!:fine:
Oh saw three more that were just as big.Pics to come.
David

Last edited:

duckndeerhuntinRN

close

10.5 beard 1 1/8 spurs
10 3/4 beard 1 3/16 spurs
measured every which way I could...

Attachments

• turks 20105.jpg
    turks 20105.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 128
  • turks 20106.jpg
    turks 20106.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 123

duckndeerhuntinRN

no sweat..

Dont worry guys its only the first week..if you are in the woods there is a good chance you will see a turkey.im hunting the boss gobbler now. Thought about carrying my bow..just be patient, it will happen..this is going to be a record kill year.

Kwaksmoka

Oh my that's what im talking about, laying the SMACK down!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Congrats, that is saweet! I wish I could have been out ther today! 655 he didnt' have time for his feet to firmly hit the ground and :shoot::shoot:!

We are smoking, lets keep it up!

SGL I understand what you're saying about the shot, I respect that but one thing I think about when everyone gets to talking about 3 1/2" shells and mag loads, is there have been many many many turkey, ducks, geese, deer etc killed with 2 3/4 shells. That's because they get the job done! Not saying you should have this time or ever, that's up to you but if the chance comes up again and you want to take it be confident they will get the job! Just my .02!

Good luck guys whenever you get a chance to go! :cheers:

southGAlefty

That's what I'm talking about my man way to keep our MO rollin!That ought to put us firmly in serious contention at least in the early going!

You guys have plenty of time to catch up, shoot its the first week!

Kwak, I pretty much subscribe to the same theory you do about the 2 3/4, my first few birds were killed with the gun I was shooting this morning and I never had a problem with it. I just had an instance last year that made me wary of them out past 30-35 yards or so. I shot that big one I posted pictures of from last year at 41 steps using the same gun and shells as this morning and while it killed him, I picked pellets out of his breast, legs, and even his feet and had to stand on his neck for a couple minutes. I just figured this morning that I've been on birds every time I've been to the woods and still have plenty of time to get #3 so I opted to let them go. It's more fun to crack that noggin at point blank range anyway right?!

Here's the video from this morning, enjoy and good luck fellas! Turn the volume UP!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTodWEVJQY

duckndeerhuntinRN

nice

I like the video...I want be able to hunt tomorrow, but will get a chance to go sunday..Good Luck Guys if yall get to go tomorrow..Give us a report..
Yea I set up and did not relize I was set up on the landing pad..the first bird was cutting me off everytime I called from the tree and pitched down about 50 yards from me and strutted in to about 35 yards when he got the #4 load..
take care and Good luck!
David

southGAlefty

Any luck this morning fellas? I got skunked with a friend of mine on his property. We were trying to get him his first bird. Back at it in my honey hole in the morning with my daddy trying to get him his first. Y'all wish us luck, I'm pulling the trigger if there's 2 in the morning I think.

southGAlefty

Anybody do any good this weekend?

I spent Saturday calling for a buddy of mine, trying to get him on his first bird. Today, my Dad and I went and came as close as we have in 3 years of trying to getting him his first bird. Not much gobbling from the roost this morning but we had a tom fly down and land 70 yards from us and gobble when I was calling. We didn't know he was there and we both jumped when he let her rip like that. Anyway, he acted interested and started moving our way but before he could get in range some hens flew down and he turned around and went to them. Good time in the woods with my Dad though, wouldn't trade it for all the turkeys in the world.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going in the morning now, these early mornings are taking a toll on me but we can't kill em in bed! I'll check in tomorrow.

moyehow

Heard three birds sat morning. Never got close. The closest one was probably 100 yards. A couple of hens came in and he followed them the other direction. Hope to get back in the woods again on sat.

duckndeerhuntinRN

no luck

went yesterday, not much gobbling off the roost, they started gobblin about 0800..could not get one to play. finally walked around and found one talking, called him out of some hardwoods to about 70 yards, strutting, gobbling and BIG..but would not come closer. realized there was a hen in the pines to his right and mother nature won the battle..hopefully get to go tomorrow..
David

JHannah92

By the way guys, we're in 2nd place and sittin pretty. 1st place has 39 pts, we have 32, and a few teams are in 3rd with 25. Still early but it's a nice start!

southGAlefty

Yes sir we are one 7 point bird out of the lead right now. I'll be after them in the morning, maybe I can help us at least cut into that lead a little bit. Pour on the coals fellas