Team 23 Swamp Roosters

Kwaksmoka

I feel your pain, beautiful morning heard one gobbled 3 times in an hour and a half. He got further away with every gobble!! :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Kwaksmoka

Heck yeah, that's what im talking about! That fires me up:shoot::shoot: Congrats, great season! Thanks for all the help and contributions with our team, now it's my time to repay you! Can't wait for the story!

southGAlefty

Alright you guys remember my story from yesterday morning...

Daylight found me settled into a little clump of trees that is in the corner of the field right next to where this turkey has been roosting pretty much every morning. I was there by 6:45 because I knew I had to walk almost under his tree to get where I wanted to be. I had put out my hen decoy and waited patiently for gobbling time. 7 a.m. rolled around and nothing...I was getting a little discouraged, thinking he wasn't roosting on our property this time. Well, just as I was getting ready to move to the other side of the property I hear wing beats to my right in the hardwoods followed by the thud of a turkey landing kind of behind me and to my right. I wasn't sure if it was a gobbler or hen so I just got my gun up and sat as still as I could, thinking he would see my hen and come around the corner to catch the load of #5's I had waiting for him. You know what they say about best laid plans...

The next thing I hear is him spitting and drumming behind me. I turned my head and catch him walking in a little strip of the field between the clump of trees I'm in and the main woodline. 20 yards away and not a thing I could do about it!! He moves off down the woodline and never sees my hen nor pays any mind to the sexiest yelps that ever left my mouth. He does give me a courtesy gobble as he walks off down into a slough, just for good measure.

I decided I would walk around to the other side of the slough and set up on another field that borders it, I was there about 30 minutes and our gobbler never showed. However, I kept hearing what I thought was a faint gobble all the way across the property in another big field that is on the other side of our pond. It was getting late in the morning so I figured that if he was gobbling, he was probably lonely. I struck out towards him across the pond dam.

I crossed our creek and started creeping up through an oat patch that is about waist high now and sits next to the field in a little depression. As I'm coming up on the field one almost blows my hat off with a gobble...wayyyy closer than I wanted to be at this stage in the game. I got on my belly and crawled up to the edge of the field and peeked over the top of the oats to see 3 gobblers, all by their lonesome, strutting in the middle of this 100 acre freshly planted corn field. A prettier sight you'd be hard-pressed to find. I got my knees up under me and was crouched down, hoping I could call them to me. I broke out my aluminum pot call and made a few purrs followed by a short series of yelps. I looked up and here they came!! My heart was about to beat out of my chest! The first one crosses and I see the second one in line has a little thicker beard and is a little closer to me so I focus my attention on him. He sticks his head up as I'm raising up on my knees and shouldering my gun at the same time, BOOOM...the Beretta barked and I dropped him like a bad habit! Took a few minutes for the other 2 to mosey on off before I could put my hands on him. I didn't want to spook the other 2 because I still am going to try to get Daddy on one and a couple friends who have never killed one.

This season has been awesome guys, I hope all of you limit out! Good luck! Here are a few pictures...check out what the Beretta with the factory XFull choke and Hevi-13 #5's did to him at 36 steps!!

Attachments

• GobblerTrailCam.jpg
    GobblerTrailCam.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 181
  • TheWalkTC.jpg
    TheWalkTC.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 4-8.jpg
    4-8.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 4-8Head.jpg
    4-8Head.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 173

moyehow

great job lefty.
I went yesterday around 1:00. I see up over looking a area where the hens had been dusting. Started calling and hoping one would come in and check out the area. After twenty minutes i started purring hard and loud, fighting purr. A few minutes later I heard something in the woods behind me, so i turned around and changed my set up. I waited another minute and when I turned my head to look back the direction I had been facing, there he was about 6 feet from me. He never gobbled or drummed. I don't know who jumped higher, me or him. He was gone before I could figure out what had happened. I just had to laugh. I guess i heard him in front of me and thought it was behind me. The reason I never heard him again, is because he had walked out onto the edge of the plowed field. If I had never changed my position I could have reached out and hit him with the gun barrel.

JHannah92

Very nice. I had 3 good ones struttin at 70 yards this morning, just wouldn't come in. I'll get them tomorrow though.

JHannah92

Same 3 birds from yesterday whipped me again. I set up where they were struttin yesterday. They were roosted in the same place, but unlike yesterday they had hens with em. Needless to say, those hens led the gobblers the other direction.

southGAlefty

Stay with them man you can kill one of those for sure!!

The hens have left the gobblers and are beginning to nest down here I think. The other morning when I killed my 3rd I saw 4 gobblers and only 2 hens and they were by themselves.

We are still in this thing, just need to add a couple more birds!

duckndeerhuntinRN

congrats

Congrats on limiting out...I was on em this am..5 nice gobblers single file in a line on the neibors field..The land I hunt butts up to a field on the neibors property. I was 30 yards from them , but they were in his field, if they would have stepped in the woods, the season would have been over..needless to say they cross the field.hey I know they are there..Good luck Guys..
David

moyehow

finally

Called him in with a slate call I made out of Canary wood. Canary wood striker also.
DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

Kwaksmoka

:yeah: Way to go!!!!! Congrats! I'm with SGL that fires me up big time! I'm ready to get back to the woods, hope to make it a day or two this week! Keep rockin!!!:cool:

southGAlefty

Scores are updated through Week 3 and we are in 5th place right now. With moyehow's bird from week 4 I believe it bump us into 4th, assuming nobody on the teams ahead of us has killed this week. Keep at it fellas we're in striking distance!!

duckndeerhuntinRN

still chasing

still chasing em...had 3 gobblers at 70 yards, none would commit..they were on a mission and that mission was five hens in a field..dangit...oh well I know where they are..congrats on the bird..

southGAlefty

Keep after them guys, we are still in it.

Hey will y'all do me a favor and take a look at the Longest Spur competition thread? I was leading it for the longest time but I think the guy that just posted his made a mistake. I just don't want to say anything about it if I'm reading it wrong but my spurs were clearly 1.5" and the one he posted is *if I'm reading it right* 1 7/16, which would mean I'm still leading the spur category right??? I've been wrong before but I've looked at this thing several times and keep getting the same number. Just need a little reinforcement.

Good luck fellas!

Kwaksmoka

Yep that's clear as can be, yours are longer! I sent a pm to HF to check in to it!

Going back after them sometime this week, ready to go! Hope they are back talking again, they've been kind of hush around here!

Let's go!

southGAlefty

I appreciate the pm Kwak.

They were gobbling really good this weekend on our place, I called up a stud for a kid I had with me but it didn't work out. Looks like on the video that he shot right over his back. As soon as I get my laptop back I'll get the video posted, it was some awesome footage. Good luck