Team 8

vtdawg09

had a jake in the plot this morning but didnt wanna shoot him cause I didnt know if we were only going for just toms, and that jake was the only action I saw out there

HuntNTails

I know how ya feel buddy. My wife starts getting irritated about this time every year!

Heck, you deserve to relax a little. You've already got two on the ground.

Oh...BTW...THANK YOU for posting your double up correctly and within the rules.

I'm about to DQ FOUR SETS OF DOUBLES because the pics weren't right.

Y'all think well of me...I'm about to get yelled at I think.

I've know your going to get some flack on it, but rules are rules. Benhillcountyhunter and georgia_hunter are good friends of mine and we'll hunt a lot together although we're on separate teams, but each of us has a printout of the rules we keep either in the truck or with us to make sure everything is legit.

I looked at several birds on the kill thread and thought oh boy here it goes cause I knew some where going to be dq'd. That's the breaks though. Postem right and you don't have to worry. I read through the rules several times before I started taking pics just to be sure mine were ok. I also noticed some of the extra points birds being questionable since the tape measure was held under the feathers. That would not be cool to loose birds and pts because the pics weren't correct especially on a double.

Hats off to you and the other judges for having to do it.

I just hope everyone on our team knows how to take the appropriate pics.

HuntNTails

had a jake in the plot this morning but didnt wanna shoot him cause I didnt know if we were only going for just toms, and that jake was the only action I saw out there

Hold out if you can for a gobbler...more pts... It's still early if your on private land.

I could've shot a pile of jakes last year and ended up with nothing when the contest was over just because I was trying to kill a gobbler and was hunting wma's mainly instead of private land for the extra pts. But, I still don't regret it cause I was seeing turkeys and was in the area with gobblers. I just couldn't seal the deal.

One evening I had about 8 jakes at 5 yds. Could've took out a pile, but I just sat there and thought...your dead if I pulled the trigger and let em walk. Gonna try to get back over there and see if they are all grown up now!!!!! :shoot:

Huntinfool

Funny...I had a jake within 5 ft of me the other day. He just kept leaving and I'd call him back in...leaving and coming back in. I kind of felt bad for him. He was looking HARD for that hen.

HuntNTails

I did the other day. Put a hen down in breeding position with a jake facing her from behind about 5ft behind her. Made those two boys think that a jake was about to get lucky. Wish I could've waited to see if they were gonna whoop him. Would've made a better video, but some squirrels were raising sand at me and I was scared the birds were gonna spook.

Decoys...sometimes work...sometimes spook...sometimes they pay no attention. Tough decision sometimes on whether to put them out or not.

Huntinfool

I honestly don't use them that much. Haven't actually carried one yet this year. Had a situation on Monday where a deke would have helped me.

Wouldn't have needed one on Wed when I killed this bird because the terrain helped me out.

I don't have a firm opinion on them either way. I think they can help for sure. You just have to know how and when to use them IMO.

HuntNTails

Well, I went yesterday morning and those dang birds keep shifting around on me. They were across the clear cut sat morning from where I thought they'd be. Watched one gobble for about 20 mins then he pitched down and went with the other 3 birds that were gobbling.

Rode back out there this afternoon and two gobblers were standing in the two path road about 100yds in front of me. I think I've got them figured out for an afternoon hunt this week.

Tomorrow I'll be at a wma trying those "hard" birds. Maybe we'll have some luck. So far I haven't hunted public birds this year so it'll be an exciting little twist for the next two days.

Well, good luck to the rest of you. I'll post back in a day or two and let you know what's happened.

Coach N

Struck out again this weekend. I saw a few Gobblers, but they are with 6-10 hens. Hopefully they will dump them soon.

Huntinfool

Make the hens mad buddy....keep at 'em and they will eventually get fed up and come to find out who the new girl is who is making all that racket.

Coach N

I tried that, but they were not interested. I sometimes go back and forth with myself about how much is too much, but I called a good bit to the hens trying to get them to come in.

Huntinfool

Yeh, it's a fine line and it depends on their temperment too. Some hens will haul butt the other direction trying to keep you from the boyfriend.

I had to just sit down and wait 'em out the other day. I hate doing that. But it works. Just know they are in the area and blind call. They'll often show up eventually just cuase they get tired of listening to it.

Keep after 'em. We've got a long way to go to catch up to the leaders.

vtdawg09

Alllllllllllllll day hunt just got back and I heard 2 gobbles all day saw 1 hen but was a very slow day

HuntNTails

Gobbling like crazy this morning at one of my tracts. Just went there to listen. Heard two burning it up for about 45 minutes. Saw three jakes (next year....lol) and three hens. Gobblers were just over the hill so I couldn't see them, but could hear them loud and clear.

Good luck guys!!!!

vtdawg09

Fellows drove 4 hours down here to abbieville and heard 3 gobbles all morning and saw 3 hens, Ill be going back out with a buddy whos already killed 3 and is an expert caller hopefully we can hop on one in the morning before church

HuntNTails

Alright boys. I was holding out giving you time to post your birds, but I'm going to finish it out for myself. Sorry no extra pts...two year olds...gotta love 'em. Had 4 gobblers, 1 jake, and 5 hens show up. Picked the one out that was strutting and gave him a nitro to eat. Guess I'll be videoing and calling now.

Attachments

• 104_0059.jpg
    104_0059.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 112

vtdawg09

good job HT, I struck out this weekend but Ill keep going and not get my hopes down

Huntinfool

Way to go man! You are definitely carrying most of the load. I'll get to hunt three days this week. So I'm hoping to add another one to our tally.

Way to go buddy. You had a great season!

HuntNTails

Way to go man! You are definitely carrying most of the load. I'll get to hunt three days this week. So I'm hoping to add another one to our tally.

Way to go buddy. You had a great season!

I figured I better do better this year. I was riding my teams back last year in this thing. Know they had backaches. :rofl: I just had a stroke of bad luck from opening morning last year til the end of season and said I wasn't going to let it happen this year. Now, I've just got to keep the poachers off my tracts and let the birds grow for next year.