Telecheck Results 2020 *Final numbers posted**

QuackAttack101

They have taken note hopefully, but will anything happen

I highly doubt it. I really hope I'm wrong but I have no faith in our elected officials.

Unfortunately, all the biologists can do is make recommendations. Politicians are too afraid to upset the masses and not get reelected so they're going to be hesitant to introduce legislation that will upset lots of voters. And let's face it, doing anything about over harvest would only upset most turkey hunters. They're too dense to listen to science and all that fancy college stuff. That's essentially our government in a nutshell - Do what will get me reelected, regardless of what's right and needs to be done.

Just read threads on here about the subject. "I killed three birds last year so there's no possible way the population is down. I don't care what scientists and data say. I'm going off of my own small sample size that fits my agenda"

Every reputable turkey biologist in the southeast acknowledges a decline in turkey numbers but the masses don't buy it so neither are the politicians.

QuackAttack101

What could they do now ?

I'm not suggesting they do this, but they could close state owned public land. I mostly hunt public land, so selfishly, I hope they don't, but if they did, I'd totally understand why. As this pandemic has taught us, the government can shut down whatever they want and there's not much we can do about it. That would be a bit reactive and a little too late though most likely. But for future years, they could alter season dates, bag limits, etc. The biologists all say that the season opens way too early in GA. They are all in agreement that too many Toms die before the hens are bred, leaving hens unbred or spending more time searching for a mate than tending to a nest. The scientists have been screaming this for years but the politicians won't listen/don't care.

jbroberts

I'm not suggesting they do this, but they could close state owned public land. I mostly hunt public land, so selfishly, I hope they don't, but if they did, I'd totally understand why. As this pandemic has taught us, the government can shut down whatever they want and there's not much we can do about it. That would be a bit reactive and a little too late though most likely. But for future years, they could alter season dates, bag limits, etc. The biologists all say that the season opens way too early in GA. They are all in agreement that too many Toms die before the hens are bred, leaving hens unbred or spending more time searching for a mate than tending to a nest. The scientists have been screaming this for years but the politicians won't listen/don't care.

I agree that something needs to be done. Bag Limits are set based on factors that are directly being affected by this Coronavirus. My opinion is set a kill quota for each WMA based on recent years numbers and close them once it is reached. It will hurt people still having to work as normal, but conservation on state lands should be the priority.

QuackAttack101

I agree that something needs to be done. Bag Limits are set based on factors that are directly being affected by this Coronavirus. My opinion is set a kill quota for each WMA based on recent years numbers and close them once it is reached. It will hurt people still having to work as normal, but conservation on state lands should be the priority.

Agreed. Unfortunately, getting reelected is top priority.

Some WMA's in FL have daily limits. To hunt, you have to go by the check station and pick up your free permit. X per day are available and once they're gone, no one else can hunt that day

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Surely that pace will slow towards the end right? Still, that’s a substantial increase and I haven’t even killed one......yet!

Keep after them. I usually have better luck after April 15th. The hens go to nest and the boys are lonely and sounding off again. Big birds usually start dropping now.

cowhornedspike

Who sets the actual season dates? Not the parameters but the actual hunting dates?

cowhornedspike

It shall be unlawful to hunt the following game species at any time during the period set forth below, except that it shall not be unlawful to hunt the following game species during such periods or portions thereof, and in such number not to exceed the following numbers, as may be designated by the board as open seasons and bag limits for such species:

Maximum Open Season. Turkey gobblers March 15 — May 21

Maximum Bag Limits Turkey gobblers, Daily-3 Season-3

What here would prevent the board from shortening the season or lowering the bag limit?

chrislibby88

Seems a lot of sportsman on here agree that seasons need adjusting, a lot don’t, but there’s seems to be a slow shift in thinking. I wonder where the Georgia NWTF stands on seasons and bag limits, they would be a good starting point for a conversation on changing things.

Seems a lot of sportsman on here agree that seasons need adjusting, a lot don’t, but there’s seems to be a slow shift in thinking. I wonder where the Georgia NWTF stands on seasons and bag limits, they would be a good starting point for a conversation on changing things.

First, "a lot of sportsman on here..." represent a very, very, very small fraction of hunters. Certainly not enough sample size here to make a statement for all hunters.

Don't look for the Georgia chapter of the NWTF to do anything but take your money. The NWTF claims a lot of things, but I NEVER see them active in the preservation of wild turkey habitat. You know "save the habitat, save the hunt". Our properties are being cut at an alarming rate, and the removal of hardwoods is criminal to all wild game including turkeys.

Last, it only takes 1 gobbler to breed all the hens in the woods, and he does not have to gobble to get it done. This state can go a long way by just making it 1 gobbler per day, keeps hunters from shooting more than 1 gobbler at a time.

IMHO worth nothing, not intended for advice of any kind.

DSGB

Looks like the biologists have also taken note of the Covid-19 impacts on turkey hunting and populations.

http://www.rnr.lsu.edu/bret/BretWeb...0nCIDpyEIZQYjZDRu0CjQTEKQ8QpsmIvbmPM_BTdCWIRE

Saw this article on the main site:

https://www.gon.com/hunting/doubled-banded-wma-gobblers

“They’ve killed six banded birds in five days,” said Dr. Chamberlain. “It’s not like it used to be. There’s a lot more hunters out there, some really good hunters out there and a lot more tools available to kill one.”

He credits the COVID-19 virus for more hunters being in the woods this season, and it’s very likely an event that hunters will be feeling the affects of for future spring gobbler seasons.

“We’ve seen an increase in harvest without an increase in production,” Dr. Chamberlain. “I think we’re going to look back at this year and put an asterisk by it and wished we had practiced some self-restraint.”

Dr. Chamberlain, who is a fanatic about turkey hunting, has been steadily watching the WRD harvest numbers climb. He doesn’t necessarily want to be the alarmist just yet, but he admits that he is fearful for what the future for Georgia turkey hunting holds as a direct result of such a high increase in harvest due largely to COVID-19.

Gut_Pile

So far in 2020 we are 32 days into a 58 day season (youth weekend included). As of 4/20/20 at 10:00 AM there have been 11,543 turkeys killed, already surpassing 2019's total of 11,132!!

This is a average of 361 per day and puts us on pace for 20,921 turkeys killed in 2020.

Gut_Pile

Public land

2016: 1197
2017: 1520
2018: 1370
2019: 1338

2020 (as of 4/20): 1484

Gut_Pile

So far in 2020 we are 41 days into a 58 day season (youth weekend included). As of 4/29/20 at 9:300 AM there have been 12,793 turkeys killed.

This is a average of 312 per day and puts us on pace for 18,097 turkeys killed in 2020.

Gut_Pile

Public land

2016: 1197
2017: 1520
2018: 1370
2019: 1338

2020 (as of 4/29): 1648