2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Right along with Stroke 'em Young Club

FB_IMG_1602427897836.jpg

How old is he?

As old as he's gonna get. ;)

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Shooting Jakes is like an inside the park homer with 3 errors in the field. Yea you got the run on the board but don't call it a homerun....you haven't done much. And saying they taste better is like telling me you like scoring that way instead of hitting deep balls....you don't even believe it.

I like the freedom and liberty to shoot the bird of my choice. You can take your judgement elsewhere, doesn't work on me. I support your desire to kill mature birds just as much as the next guy's desire to shoot a jake. When you start telling the other guy he shouldn't shoot a jake then that's where we part ways.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

I support everyone’s choice to shoot a jake while it’s legal. I hope it’s only legal for children at some point soon.

Only bad thing about this is comparable to antler restrictions, they don't call them steppers for nothing

Might as well push for the noon cut off

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I support everyone’s choice to shoot a jake while it’s legal. I hope it’s only legal for children at some point soon.

I would never support that, every hunted property has the ability to limit jake harvest if they so choose. Jake restrictions and antler restrictions are pretty un-american in my opinion. Neither serve a biological function under the current status of deer and turkey populations.

buckpasser

I would never support that, every hunted property has the ability to limit jake harvest if they so choose. Jake restrictions and antler restrictions are pretty un-american in my opinion. Neither serve a biological function under the current status of deer and turkey populations.

Well, you’re the man, but I’d disagree with you not based on science alone, but the potential fun that is squandered by killing a Jake. He’s made it through the most perilous portion of his journey. His egg has hatched, he’s learned to fly, he’s evaded owls, hawks, bobcats, coyotes and the like to be an immature adult turkey. There is a high likelihood he’ll survive until his first long beard spring if he’s not shot first. My anecdotal evidence suggests 80% likely in my area, FWIW.

When the sun rises on next spring, man! What a change. He’s nearly twice the body weight. His gobble has gone from a mixed yelp nightmare to very nearly the voice of God. His full fan and inflated breast stirs the soul of any turkey hunter, and most non hunters alike. He’s gone from a 12lb moron that most anyone could bag to a 20 lb king. His spurs are now conical weapons of breast meat destruction. His beard drags the ground as he feeds. Even you must admit he is a splendid creature to behold as a two year old.

When you smash a Jake, all that potential is gone, and for what? An easy kill and some slightly more tender thighs? If you need meat, please pm me. I’ll send you the money and a legal agreement to forfeit your turkey tags for the year. That deal goes for anyone here.

cowhornedspike

I have always said when I see a huge group of jakes "gonna be a good crop of 2 yr olds next year" but have to say the numbers never seem to follow that...I am not sure most of them don't die or get eaten anyway so Charlie may be right.

WOODIE13

It's @ 11.8% jake harvest so far, correct?

Then that's @ 88.2% mature gobbler harvest, potential viable breeders for the late or second nesting hens further impacting the population next year.

We have a short fall season, think it was 681 total taken, either sex, still have a steady population.

buckpasser

I have always said when I see a huge group of jakes "gonna be a good crop of 2 yr olds next year" but have to say the numbers never seem to follow that...I am not sure most of them don't die or get eaten anyway so Charlie may be right.

You must admit though, Toms come from somewhere, and it surely isn’t dead Jakes.

buckpasser

I haven't killed a turkey this year... you gonna send me some money? :)

I take back my earlier statement. I’ll go ahead and prorate it for this season. For the amount of good hunting that’s left in S GA, I’ll send you $2.33. That should get you a boar’s head sandwich! Haha

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
For anyone that wants to restrict someone else's freedom that is a solution in search of a problem. Last season only 9% of the turkey harvest was jakes, all based on self restraint. Why in the heck would you want to pass a regulation to restrict someone else when jake harvest is already so low?

WOODIE13

For anyone that wants to restrict someone else's freedom that is a solution in search of a problem. Last season only 9% of the turkey harvest was jakes, all based on self restraint. Why in the heck would you want to pass a regulation to restrict someone else when jake harvest is already so low?
Sounds like a bunch here wanting to drop our buck limit from 3 to 2, (they were pushing for 1, but they didn't get the traction).

For hunters who take their 3rd antlered buck, it's @ 1.5%

buckpasser

I’m not claiming it’s a problem. Here’s another way of looking at it. Few hunters shoot Jakes, so only a few hunters would be offended by the change. A change that would undeniably bring more Toms into the world through survival through Jakehood. This would in turn boost gobbling in the spring. The state didn’t mind implementation of season date changes that effected everyone based on no proven science. Why worry about the tiny minority of Jake shooters when it’s clear there would be at least some gain in the Tom count.

…and I know what you’re thinking- if the Jakes were illegal, people would shoot this year’s Toms instead. That’s flawed thinking because many Jake killers aren’t capable of bagging a Tom at all, or at best they could only bag one very rarely, so we’re still way ahead.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I’m not claiming it’s a problem. Here’s another way of looking at it. Few hunters shoot Jakes, so only a few hunters would be offended by the change. A change that would undeniably bring more Toms into the world through survival through Jakehood. This would in turn boost gobbling in the spring. The state didn’t mind implementation of season date changes that effected everyone based on no proven science. Why worry about the tiny minority of Jake shooters when it’s clear there would be at least some gain in the Tom count.

…and I know what you’re thinking- if the Jakes were illegal, people would shoot this year’s Toms instead. That’s flawed thinking because many Jake killers aren’t capable of bagging a Tom at all, or at best they could only bag one very rarely, so we’re still way ahead.

So you want to take the opportunity to kill a bird away from new or inexperienced hunters that aren't yet capable of killing a mature gobbler?

Here's your same argument applied to deer. Let's ban flintlocks and long bows as legal weapons for deer. Not that many people use them, so it will only affect a small minority of people. That way there will be more deer for the rest of us to shoot with modern bows and firearms since we're the majority.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

Here are a few words since we say only effects a few so only a few would get effected.

Today, however, only 11.5 million people in the United States actually hunt. That's less than 4% of the national population.Jan 27, 2021

Now what if that same argument was used to stop all hunting. by the anti ,Like the fla Bear.