Telecheck Results 2022 *Updated 5/16. Final numbers

buckpasser

I see the differences more in the legs and thighs than the breast, jakes are considerably better.

My crock pot turns all thighs into heaven on a plate, but I’m sure you’re right on that. I just woke up to the smell of a long spurred Toms legs simmering since yesterday around noon. Tonight will be a good one.

buckpasser

Y'all killing tomorrows trophies today, dont be upset next year

Don’t strip them of their right to complain please. Also, next year they’ll just be hunting Jakes again anyway, so no harm no “fowl”.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Y'all killing tomorrows trophies today, dont be upset next year

Not everyone is motivated by trophies so there would be no reason for them to be upset the following year. If everyone quit passing up jakes then we would all be able to sustainably kill more turkeys each year. Same thing as passing up young bucks.

buckpasser

Wouldn’t filling one of my tags with a jake leave one more Tom to continue breeding and leave a dominant 3 or 4 year old for the following season?

No, cause me or someone like me will shoot him for you.

buckpasser

Not everyone is motivated by trophies so there would be no reason for them to be upset the following year. If everyone quit passing up jakes then we would all be able to sustainably kill more turkeys each year. Same thing as passing up young bucks.

Even in this time of great peril and crisis for the population and future of the wild turkey? A time that most are experiencing at least slight declines in population and the state is relying heavily on a turkey theorist to rewrite season dates? Seems like Jakes should get extra protection during these trying times to me, but what do I know?

spencer12

I’d be ok with a no Jake rule, I believe Mississippi already has this rule in place. I’ve seen a pile of jakes this year on several properties that I hunt so next year I should have a bunch of rowdy 2 year olds I’m a hoping.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Even in this time of great peril and crisis for the population and future of the wild turkey? A time that most are experiencing at least slight declines in population and the state is relying heavily on a turkey theorist to rewrite season dates? Seems like Jakes should get extra protection during these trying times to me, but what do I know?

I don't claim to be any sort of expert turkey biologist, but shifting some harvest pressure away from the breeding adult gobblers would make sense given the fact that nest initiation is lower in hunted populations. With most prey species the most expendable animals in the population are young males, that's certainly how we took a deer population from less than 100,000 deer and turned it into over a million.

buckpasser

I don't claim to be any sort of expert turkey biologist, but shifting some harvest pressure away from the breeding adult gobblers would make sense given the fact that nest initiation is lower in hunted populations. With most prey species the most expendable animals in the population are young males, that's certainly how we took a deer population from less than 100,000 deer and turned it into over a million.

I was just ribbing.

MesquiteHeat

Shooting Jakes is like an inside the park homer with 3 errors in the field. Yea you got the run on the board but don't call it a homerun....you haven't done much. And saying they taste better is like telling me you like scoring that way instead of hitting deep balls....you don't even believe it.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Just saving those big breeders to finish mating the hens this year since the the jakes seed isn't "viable" and the population is in a decline. ;)

Now for the noon cut off for hunting.

Their tag, their choice simple as that.

Next it will be judging squirrels and rabbits