Texas Blue Lacy Hog Dog??

GTBHUNTIN

I have been searching the forum looking for info on the lacys but have not found a lot of info. As much as they are used in texas for it I thought more people would be using them here. For those with experience with them how do they do with hogs?

I have one she is a short to medium range dog, semi-rough, handles great, Very fast, Avg nose, hunts hard. I got her from a breeder in North GA

Jester896

Senior Clown
i tried to get one once...most of them folks in texas i think don't want to sell them for hog dogs...i don't mean anything bad by that..Bkeepr has one she works and may have some information about closer ones that actually are available.

GTBHUNTIN

I have a lacy puppy but bought him for tracking wounded deer. I guess I dont understand the whole not wanting to sell for hog dogs since they promote them as a working dog...tracking deer, hog hunting, trap lines and herding cattle.

Bkeepr

Silent Assassin I got my pup from the same breeder, he is great. We are happy with our Pearl. She is out of Smokey and Dutchess and we hear they have a new female named Violet that recently had pups, all now sold.
Pearl is a smart dog that likes to do lots of stuff and stay busy. Tomorrow we are going squirrel hunting and we plan to use her for bloodtrailing too. She has strong herding instincts and I need to get a handle on that. Lacys and other dog breeds with a herding history can get a Tracking Number from Australian Shepherd Club of America so they can compete in their herding trials.

GTBHuntin if you go to the website MSLacydog.com there is a guy on there that hunts his Lacys and goes to hog bays.

Pearl will be a year old later in the month and has never seen a hog. She is only 28 pounds but has siblings that are much larger. We saw an older brother that is about 55-60 pounds and covered in muscles. I would be curious to see what Pearl would do with a hog. She is real quick and agile but way over-confident. Plus she doesn't know she is so little!

Rosie

I do plan on breeding her in Dec. when she comes in. Took forever to find a Good male

Attachments

• 0806101818.jpg
    0806101818.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,590
  • 0806101821a.jpg
    0806101821a.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,845
Last edited:

Bkeepr

Pearl

Rose is a pretty girl! Pearl is a tricolor like her dam. Gotta go do the bees....

Attachments

• uterunner.jpg
    uterunner.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,584
  • curherding.jpg
    curherding.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,567

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a lacy puppy but bought him for tracking wounded deer. I guess I dont understand the whole not wanting to sell for hog dogs since they promote them as a working dog...tracking deer, hog hunting, trap lines and herding cattle.

i really didn't either...the few that i spoke with asked me what i was going to use it for...then told me they had nothing available or not in the near future...i should have caught on sooner...and told them trailing i guess

Good lookin dogs S A and Bkeepr

JohnE

I'm on one of the texas hog hunting forums, and never really heard of too many outstanding ones.....
Not worth it IMO.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'm on one of the texas hog hunting forums, and never really heard of too many outstanding ones.....
Not worth it IMO.

i find that hard to believe with the amount of drive i understand they have...i just wonder how many are getting used out there for hogs...i read all kinds of places that they are working in other areas...blood..cadaver..trailing

DSGB92

i have one that has been on a few hogs, they are great dogs, fast, smart, listens very well.

Clifford

Might as well show mine...
mydawgs.jpg

They know what a hog is, but I use them for blood tracking...

The reason so many people in Texas are not selling pups to hog hunters is because, a year or so ago, some folks got a bunch of dogs killed by doing stupid stuff... The whole group suddenly went cold on hog hunting...

Jesse Gaud used to run a Lacy pack over your way. But, he lost a bunch all at once, and I am not sure he will ever get back into it...

Jester896

Senior Clown
good lookind dog...them all...that last puppy with the crooked head...want one like that:bounce:

Be in GPT next weekend..I'll pick it up

Clifford

Bring ten crisp new $100 bills, and you can take her home...
Oh, might as well warn you... You're gonna have to fight my wife too, and she can be tough!

Jester896

Senior Clown
the ones i have are not that new...and to watch your wife whip another guys tail has got to be worth something:huh:

i tried to get one once...most of them folks in texas i think don't want to sell them for hog dogs...i don't mean anything bad by that..Bkeepr has one she works and may have some information about closer ones that actually are available.

My knowledge of them is VERRY limmited, but I have gathered that a lot of "city" folks are getting them as pets and such and dont want them to go to hunters. Maybe some collor breeding going on. Kind of like dogos and anything else that is new or odd. Honestly if you are wanting one to hunt or track I think I would pass on any dog that wasnt directly from hunting stock.

Jester896

Senior Clown
My knowledge of them is VERRY limmited, but I have gathered that a lot of "city" folks are getting them as pets and such and dont want them to go to hunters. Maybe some collor breeding going on. Kind of like dogos and anything else that is new or odd. Honestly if you are wanting one to hunt or track I think I would pass on any dog that wasnt directly from hunting stock.

that is pretty much the feeling i got talking to the TX folks..:huh:

Clifford

Everyone in Texas has a ranch... But, in a lot of cases that is really just a few acres with a trailer on it. They all claim to be hog hunters too! But, very few of them ever put their dogs anywhere but in the front of a truck.
That dog on a chain pic would also send most of them off huffing and screaming abuse!

The truth is that Lacys bring big money whether they are worth it, or not, mostly because the blue color catches folk's eye.

There are some folks who have kept the working lines pure, but you have to know where to look to find those dogs. We are just getting a few of them in Mississippi and Louisiana, and in a few years I hope we will have enough good dogs around so that we do not have to keep going back to Texas to get pups.