Texas Blue Lacy Hog Dog??

Jester896

Senior Clown
hello...didn't see that coming...sure...you coming to the BBQ or do i need to drop in...pm details

JohnE

Oh and just something to add. They are not called blue lacy's. Blue is just the color.
If you are looking for one out of working lines, don't say blue lacy, the people with real working lacy's won't even talk to you if you say blue lacy.
Something I gathered from another forum lol

MULE

Oh and just something to add. They are not called blue lacy's. Blue is just the color.
If you are looking for one out of working lines, don't say blue lacy, the people with real working lacy's won't even talk to you if you say blue lacy. Something I gathered from another forum lol
I have that same feeling when it comes to pits.

Clifford

That's one of those little things that the two groups have been fighting over!
It has something to do with when the dog was declared the state dog of Texas, and who was in on that effort.
The truth be known, both of the associations have some faults...

GTBHUNTIN

All I want is a good working dog. I have been being educated on the issues between the associations and hope that one day they get it worked out. I am not into politics and well I dont care either way about all that stuff when it comes down to it I want a dog that is going to do what I bought it for. Too bad about it really. Kinda like hunters fighting amongst themselves when we have enough antis fighting us already.

JayHay

Just came across this old post, not sure if anyone is even gonna see this or not as this is my first post on gon, but I felt obligated to sign up and clear up the confusion and bad information on lacy dogs that is in this post. As far as the breeding goes you have to know where to go to find a true/proven working line as with any breed. I've had multiple conversations with several different breeders (all in Texas) and never once have I been turned away when hogs get brought up. All of my lacy's came from the Crain family in Texas. I will admit that lacy breeders have a persona about them and have a ton of pride in what they have and I believe the lacy history has a lot to do with that. Owners of working lacy's also have a persona about them as well, kind of a "I have something unique and nobody else does" mentality, and you will never hear them say a bad word about them. If you've never looked in to how these dogs came to be, take a few minutes and read about them. I started out with cur dogs, still run curs today, and have only ran curs and lacy's, so I can only compare a lacy to a cur. A lacy is not as gritty as a cur and they bay different than a cur. My curs bay tight/gritty/and are overly mouthy a majority of times whereas my lacy's dog have a tendency to continually circle loosely. I have less breaks with my lacy's alone compared to when my curs are in the mix. Lacy's are faster and have more endurance than a cur which is nice for those long races. My curs are about 45-55lbs and my lacy's are about 35-45lbs with a smaller frame. Lacy's also have a better nose. In my experience with them they learn their lesson and do not forget as in each of them at one point has put themselves in a bad position and took on some punishment, my curs on the other hand will continue to put themselves in a bad position and continue to take on punishment. Some of you might say well it sounds like you just have a rough less than average pack of curs and a lacy ain't all that great, maybe so, but they are all that I have to compare to. To me it's all about preference, guys running cats claim the belt and cur dog folks are right there arguing back lol if a dog has drive and can put you on hogs, its breed is irrelevant at the end of the day.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
@JayHay
My Lacy (first one I’ve had) is as you said. Amazing how fast she picks up on stuff.
When she gets wound up working she actually listens better than when she’s just bored in the yard.
I’d like to see her on a hog under controlled settings.

Hillbilly stalker

I watched a Podcast the other ( Cur dog chronicles). Man said Blue Lacy was just another strain of cur dogs. I could see it, lots of old dogmen bred for certain traits, Stephens curs for colder noses and open trailing, OMCBA for other traits, BMC’S for others. Different traits or different lines can be polar opposites some times. I’ve never worked a Blue Lacy, I wonder if it can be traced back to a certain breeder from years ago ?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Here’s how quirky she can be.

Last weekend we had a tornado come within one mile or less of my house. So at about 630 am my neighbor (lives In a mobile home) hurriedly came to my house to take shelter. I mean this was pretty chaotic as it was happening. We had been up off and on all night due to the weather, hailstorms etc

My Lacy barked when they came to the house/door. then as his wife came inside my dog sat and watched, their daughter came in and she sat and watched, he came inside and she sat and watched. Then the daughters fiancé came to the door and I had to grab her to keep her off him.

The difference?
My Lacy had met the first three and knew they weren’t a threat, she has never met him.

This is while a tornado was literally in striking distance and the rain/wind etc was LOUD outside. She had that presence of mind.

———————-

About 2 months ago I was at my parents house, dog was outside. My elderly aunt drove up and came to the door. She never barked or showed any aggression—-most likely because she knew my aunt and her boyfriend weren’t threats—-but she laid in front of the back door preventing my aunt from Coming in until one of us came to the door and said it was ok. She looked at me like “hey dad I don’t know who this old lady is but she wants to see y’all”

Last edited:

JayHay

I watched a Podcast the other ( Cur dog chronicles). Man said Blue Lacy was just another strain of cur dogs. I could see it, lots of old dogmen bred for certain traits, Stephens curs for colder noses and open trailing, OMCBA for other traits, BMC’S for others. Different traits or different lines can be polar opposites some times. I’ve never worked a Blue Lacy, I wonder if it can be traced back to a certain breeder from years ago ?
I've never heard a lacy has cur in it. The history of these dogs all says they're a cross between a greyhound, scent hound, and coyote. Some of the old timers in Texas who've had these dogs for generations lean more towards wolf than coyote being bred into them. There's a video on youtube of Helen Lacy Gibbs reading the history on how they came to be.
-The one fella said earlier in the thread that he is from Texas and that nobody uses lacy dogs in Texas, that couldn't be any further than the truth lol. Eastern Texas you're gonna start seeing more cat/cur dogs, but other than that, lacy's are pretty predominant throughout the state as compared to here. They're as easy to get your hands on there as picking up the phone and finding a lab puppy is here.
I will say these dogs aren't meant for everyone, based off of what I see out of mine. These dogs don't do well when kenneled for long periods of time, if a person doesn't have the ability to work/run the dog multiple times a week then they need to explore a different dog. I run my dogs at least 4 times a week and sometimes I feel like that still aint enough for them.