Texas Blue Lacy Hog Dog??

Jester896

Senior Clown
That dog on a chain pic would also send most of them off huffing and screaming abuse!

The truth is that Lacys bring big money whether they are worth it, or not, mostly because the blue color catches folk's eye.

yea and it should...everybody knows you need a heavier and longer chain to muscle up your dog::ke:
chains are not a bad thing...front seat riddin..ac soakin...color bread dogs is what should be scoffed at. I know that ..I..am not intrigued by the color or the eyes as much as the drive that I read so much about. Yea..German engineering is a terrific thing too...the 4 on my ford do the same thing...get me where I'm going

Clifford

One more thing. Most litters are sold before they hit the ground because of the demand. This means buyers are being put on waiting lists, which also means that breeders can be very picky about where the pups go. The screening process includes as one of the first questions, "Do you hunt hogs?", which means a lot of good dogs never get to show what they can do.
My dogs are not woods dogs, but they will work a hog in a bay pen. But, I use them at my outfit in Illinois as blood trackers. They might, or might not, make it with a hardcore hog hunter. The girl dog is pretty darn gritty, but she may not range out far enough to hunt. The male will bay, but keeps his distance. I have no idea what the pup will do, because we have not had a chance to get her in with a hog.

Last edited:

southgahoghunter

i have never had any dealling with them but if any of you go to the winter classic alot of the coon hunters there are the same way about there dogs one told me his dogs were to good to be hog dogs

rtp

Ok, Im from Texas. I do not personally have hog dogs but know several people that do and hunt with them numerous times a year. None of them have blue lacy dogs in their mix. The people I know that have Blue Lacy dogs use them as cattle dogs or for blood tracking. They do make great pets and I know a lot of people are getting them just for pets. Hope this helps.

southgahoghunter

i have a blue heeler bulldog cross that will bay the edit out of a hog he is only 5m and hates a hog. this cross was not on purpose i have blue heelers that i work my cows with and they are by far the best and smartest dogs i have ever owned but i really think he would make a good help dog maybe more

Bkeepr

Heelers and Lacys are my favorite dogs, to me a Lacy is like a heeler in personality and intelligence only with less hair. Plus in herding Lacys are headers and heelers...heel! The mama of a heeler that I owned was used on hogs, not serious hog dogging, just go every once in a while. They said she would drive the hog crazy and make it spin like a top with her darting in and heeling it, then darting out.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I feel the same about my Heeler...if he is not the best dog I have ever owned..he is certainly the second best. As a pup he P in house one time...i told him.. ooooh i'm gonna to tell your momma (my wife)...he gave me that puppy eyed look...never did it again. Same thing i did to the kids when they colored on the wall...they only did it once. The only problem i have with mine is his bark cuts me to the bone. There is no doubt in my mind, from seeing him work, that he couldn't stop a hog.

Clifford just thinks he has a problem. If he eva went in my box with my Pit instead of my wifes other two...tell um Clifford...what would happen:bounce:

Clifford

Well, one thing is becoming obvious as I move around the country talking to hog hunters. Each region seems to have their favorite dog.
And, another thing I notice is that hog hunters seem to be constantly trying to outcross between two different breeds, in order to create a designer dog.
Lacy owners are trying hard to keep their lines pure, and I believe the two different breeding practices has caused them to purposely exclude hog hunters as potential owners.

The difference in the terrain between the Texas brush country and the thickets found in other states is big factor in how the dogs get worked. That may also be part of why different dogs are favored in different areas.

Cats rule the bay pens, in every area that I have been in, and the few folks who are running Lacys are finding stiff competition there. But, when they make a good showing, the Cat owners pay attention.
Most of the Lacy owners I know use their dogs for blood tracking, and have never considered trying them on anything else. That's a shame, because they are really good at a lot of things.

wildlifecory

the reason why there aren't many folks using them is because for the most part they don't make the cut. All the crap you read on the www is just crap. They are not nearly as tough and useful as the literature says. 30 years ago you could probably find a good lacy, but good luck with it today. I have hunted with several laceys and have yet to see one that wasn't a bullet catcher. The ones I hunted were quirky, stubborn, and dang near impossible to break off trash.

Like pig snatcher said. When you start seeing breeders advertise the colors they have available or that the dogs in their program carry the blue gene the breed suffers.

Clifford

All Lacys carry the blue gene... The problem is that many breeders are purposely breeding blue dogs to blue dogs to produce as many of that color as possible.
And, the original registry has a policy which forbids close line breeding, and favors diversity which totally dilutes any chance you have of capitalizing on breeding working dogs.

By forcing breeders to use certain dogs the whole breed is being pushed in a bad direction, which may ultimately mean a great breed is ruined. Yet, they claim that their actions are necessary in order to protect the breed from becoming extinct.

This whole mindset has caused a huge split amongst the Lacy enthusiasts, and created an even larger problem as the two major factions fight a turf war, which has made people pick a side, and eliminated many possibilities for breeding great dogs.

The pet market is growing, no doubt. But many of the folks who buy pups are now finding out that owning a working breed dog requires more of their time than they thought, and we see more and more of these pups changing owners because they do not fit the pet owners lifestyle.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yea you are probably right clifford...i probably should be looking for a jamb up catahoula...but for some reason i too am a different breed. If they are hard to trash break like mentioned above it may not be a good choice.

Clifford

I have had no trouble at all training mine off of hot deer scent while blood tracking... The E Solution will get their attention, and keep it!
Texas is full of deer, and the hog hunters I know over there do not seem to have that problem either...

Last edited:
yea you are probably right clifford...i probably should be looking for a jamb up catahoula...but for some reason i too am a different breed. If they are hard to trash break like mentioned above it may not be a good choice.

Jester, if you are looking for a dog I will give you a pup. No fancy papers but will make a HOG DOG.

wildlifecory

jester you better take him up on that offer. If i wasn't dog poor one would be headed this way. One of the best dogs I have owned came from pig snatcher