The end of college football as we knew it growing up!!!!!!

Madsnooker

Remember when NIL was passed and all he talking heads said even though players will get paid thru sponsorships, tv ads, ect., don't panic because colleges cant directly pay or negotiate such deals.

So much for that as Texas setup a non profit that boosters (oil Tycoons) can pay into...I mean give towards:LOL: and then the money is given to recruits. Basically a work around. Apparently A&M is doing something similar according to rumors?

OSU had a CB from Texas committed for awhile and he has stated from day 1 that he had no interest in UT. He only wanted to play for a team that could win a NC very quickly and UT wasn't that school. Even as late as this week his High school coach told someone at 247sports that he would sign with OSU. Well, reports came out last night that UT was going after him very hard at the last minute and low and behold boosters showed up and met with the family last night and today he signed with UT. It is what it is. Its not sour grapes its just this is what we have now. In Days presser today you could tell he was peeved when asked about this recruit and he said OSU is not in position to facilitate deals. What he implied was apparently a school did just that.

Also thru "Horns for Hearts":rolleyes::LOL: non profit that was setup will pay all OL recruits that commit 50k next year.

Seeing what's happening now makes me just laugh at all those that said NIL will only benefit the few superstars and for most players it would just be additional cash to help them out.

I'm good with players getting paid but what we have now is the wild west!!!!! Great for the players and terrible for college football fans!:cry:

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Just wait til the Title IX lawsuits start flying. See how quick these schools divest themselves of these programs and it is NFL Lite in fact and all that dries up because it's no loner "their" team.

Madsnooker

Also, How in the world can coaches build team chemistry with NIL and the portal???? This will be another massive fallout of all of this. Money always corrupts and we are just getting started I'm afraid.

PS I say within 2 years you will see the first player that sits out a playoff or NC game because some of his NIL money will be tied to where he is drafted. Its coming.

Resica

It's nuts. The top 16 Texas offensive lineman will get paid $50,000 a year I hear. Free agency. Money will win. Not good.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Alabama mad now cause they got competition and it’s legal

ddgarcia

Actually, we'll probably sit and watch the "recruiting violations" pile up for "illegal", by NCAA standards, contact and who knows what else as these unpaid, unofficial school reps try to land these kids

ddgarcia

PS I say within 2 years you will see the first player that sits out a playoff or NC game because some of his NIL money will be tied to where he is drafted. Its coming
Nah, this won't be a problem as most of these people don't care about them once they leave "their" team. What's going to be the problem, and what already started all this with Ewers, is that it WILL be tied to performance and their name, image and likeness being of value. Ewers left because he wasn't likely to see the field so no recognition. As kids don't get playing time or the ball when they do see the field, THAT is going to be the big problem.

Madsnooker

Nah, this won't be a problem as most of these people don't care about them once they leave "their" team. What's going to be the problem, and what already started all this with Ewers, is that it WILL be tied to performance and their name, image and likeness being of value. Ewers left because he wasn't likely to see the field so no recognition. As kids don't get playing time or the ball when they do see the field, THAT is going to be the big problem.
I don't disagree on the surface when it comes to a boosters money but some of these businesses like Dr Pepper will have a vested interest after a player moves on as there is no reason to not still make money off of a player that has value in the NFL potentially. I'm spit balling but that's how I see it?

GTMODawg

BANNED
It's nuts. The top 16 Texas offensive lineman will get paid $50,000 a year I hear. Free agency. Money will win. Not good.

Money has been winning in CFB forever but especially since the early 80s when there 3-4 games a week televised. It’ll be a wild ride but it’ll level off…..

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

GTMODawg

BANNED

Texas is a good example about how the death of college athletics has been greatly exaggerated. Texas O linemen have been paid for almost as long as there have been such an animal….as they have been at all schools. There are more zeros on the check now but that is good for the players. It can now be done in the light of day…..and nothing is more cleansing of corruption than bright light. Texas has always struggled with piles of dark money because the donors had a voice in the management of the program. That hasn’t changed in Austen….those donors will still require managing. It may be easier to do so with the ability to shine the light on them…..and when General Motors steps in, or Apple, or some other Fortune 500 with a legitimate interest those tiny oil fortunes will represent nearly nothing. Those egos may well be checked and that is a net positive. Texas is not unique in this…all programs have to deal with donor egos….Texas is unique in how badly they have done so in the past….that probably only gets worse at Texas

ddavis1120

It stinks. I'm happy the kids are making some money but it is the beginning of the end to the absolute greatest sport to watch in person or on TV.

Just glad I like to deer hunt. Who knows may start mixing in some golf in the fall when the weather is nice.

turkeykirk

Do the colleges still set the recruits up with hot coeds?:biggrin3:8DD08E30-901F-4833-A832-3DC33C45759C.jpeg