The Ol Captain’s “I Hate Winter- I’ll Come see you-Tour”

olcaptain

Those of you who know me well know that I don’t care for winter. In fact, I despise it. The long nights and very short days often depress me. Although I serve the God who created it and know in His Sovereignty that He has a purpose for it I still don’t see it. For instance, winter magnifies the Arthritis in my old basketball knees. Winter also bores me and I tend to eat like a pig and waste a lot of time during this dull and drab season of the year. The only redeeming quality of winter that I see is that it gives me a chance to look forward to springtime.

Give me the warm sunshine of summer any day! A day where I can sit under a certain Willow tree and stick my bare feet in the sand and a small dog in my lap whilst waiting on a Proper Pull Down. Now that is living! Springtime isn’t bad either and the autumn time is certainly pleasant but quite frankly, I hate winter.

For several years now my dear friend Tim “Cool Dad” Gill and I have braved the cold weather and pretended to fish through it. On more than one occasion I have called him and said things like “Tim, its going to get UP TO 40 DEGEEES tomorrow, let’s go Carpin!!” We go, we freeze and we catch very little, if anything.

Well this year is going to be a little different! (Max just said PTL!”) How is it going to be different? What can we do to look forward to each week with anticipation and a song in our heart instead of one of despair?? What activity will give us a chance to meet even more people while providing so much material to write about that it will take all of our fingers and toes?

1-DEc7005-1.jpg

I thought you’d never ask!!!!!!!!!

Well folks, here it is! The first annual ……………………..
Ol Captain’s “I Hate Winter- I’ll Come see you-Tour”

For some time now we have invited you, the reader, to “Come see us”. Recently, I made an appeal on the GON forum about reversing this process. Several have risen to the bait and on the weeks that it looks too miserable to fish this winter we will make an appointment to come see YOU!!

When I was a boy (I never was a “little” boy) we often took “Field Trips” at school. I loved these trips and I suppose that is where my idea originated. My plan is for me, Max and 2-3 Crew members to visit these who have expressed interest and then write sort of a human interest story about our “adventure”. Many but not all of our trips will be fishing related. I hope that you will bear with me as we strive to put a face with a name and share our hearts with and about the people we meet.

Our plans so far include visiting a young man in Cartersville who has a flare (no pun intended) for metal fabrication. We have also been invited to visit a certain “Cracker” who calls West Point Lake his home. A former student who does world class auto restoration has agreed to put up with us for a morning as well.

A River Pirate in Griffin, Georgia has invited the Carp Hound to come see his skull and cross bones while a radio personality in beautiful downtown Senoia has invited us once again to be on the air on his Saturday Outdoor radio show (Our 3rd time). A cat fisherman in Homer as well as a similar “Brother” down in Columbus has agreed for us to head their way as well.

Finally, a dear friend and machinist has invited us to come see the precision, state of the art work that he calls at times, “3-D”. And last but not least we will contact a custom rod builder in Covington and have lunch with a new friend and veteran who hails from the hills of Ellijay!

It already looks like we have “miles to go before we sleep!” Instead of looking forward to sitting and freezing I am now looking forward to coming to see you! Now folks, don’t get me wrong. If the conditions are right we might just slip on down to the Apalachicola before winter is over. On a warm Thursday or Friday we might even dust off the Chubs and go somewhere locally as well. But either way, each week will be an adventure! We will expand our circle of friends and before you know it the ol sap will be rising and we will be landing and licking on the bank once again!!

Stay tuned to what I think will be an enjoyable time.

Although I hate cold weather, I’m really looking forward to our adventures ahead as we “Come see you!” this winter!

Last edited:

The Foreigner

Perhaps you should make the short trip up to Allatoona and enjoy some striper / hybrid fishing? Early new year sound good?

cool dad

I sure am excited about this winter now that the Ol Captain has found a way to keep us all warm. I'm so excited I may even share the story of the vanishing fishing rod or even the torpedo that got away.