This ain't the wurst I've had....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Bratwust, peppers, and onions grilled with beer. Homemade kettle chips. good.

brat2.jpg

Duff

Looks really good!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s hear more about those homemade kettle chips. Great looking plate!
Pretty simple-just slice the taters really thin (I use a mandoline,) soak them in cold water awhile to get some of the starch out, and fry them at about 360* until they're done. I seasoned these with sea salt, cracked pepper, and dill.

Dub

I finally got an afternoon off.

Gonna chillax, watch a movie and then this redneck is gonna cook up some NC Hillbilly-inspired brats later on.

I've gotta try those homemade kettle chips one day.....today isn't that day....but someday soon !!!!!

So many ways to season them, too......thinking of a few bbq rubs that may work out well, too.

Last edited:

Triple C

Pretty simple-just slice the taters really thin (I use a mandoline,) soak them in cold water awhile to get some of the starch out, and fry them at about 360* until they're done. I seasoned these with sea salt, cracked pepper, and dill.

Never tried my hand at home made chips and was thinking bout trying it. You ever parboil them 1st to get rid of some of the starch and soften em up a bit before deep frying?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never tried my hand at home made chips and was thinking bout trying it. You ever parboil them 1st to get rid of some of the starch and soften em up a bit before deep frying?
I don't think it's necessary at all as thin as they are. I usually double-fry my French fries, but it doesn't seem to matter with the chips. Soaking them in water awhile makes a difference, though. The other thing that makes a difference is to not try to fry too many at once or they tend to clump up.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had a hankerin' for something but I didn't know what it was. Now I do! That looks slap you to sleep good Hillbilly.
It didn't take me long to doze off after I ate a bait of 'em. :)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Fantastic!!

I use my electric meat slicer to make chips.