Time travel impossible?

atlashunter

What does evolution have to do with time travel?

pnome

*clears throat*

http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.1373

We construct a simple class of compactified five-dimensional metrics which admits closed timelike curves (CTCs), and derive the resulting CTCs as analytic solutions to the geodesic equations of motion. The associated Einstein tensor satisfies the null, weak, strong and dominant energy conditions; in particular, no negative-energy "tachyonic" matter is required. In extra-dimensional models where gauge charges are bound to our brane, it is the KK modes of gauge-singlets that may travel through the CTCs. From our brane point of view, many of these KK modes would appear to travel backward in time. We give a simple model in which such time-traveling Higgs singlets can be produced by the LHC, either from decay of the Standard Model Higgses or through mixing with the SM Higgses. The signature of these time-traveling singlets is a secondary decay vertex pre-appearing before the primary vertex which produced them. The two vertices are correlated by momentum conservation.

Say that ten times fast! :D

atlashunter

I like the comment on the OP article that says "These scientists have obviously never heard of a flux capacitor.":rofl:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
As of right now, time travel is impossible.

Tim L

Fasinating subject; the only real answer is no one knows; we do not have the technology to prove or disprove for sure either way...Another fasinating subject (I've watched too many sc fi movies over the years) is the danger of altering history and the possible consquences if it were possible.

centerpin fan

I just finished reading "Timeline" by Michael Crichton. (I know. I'm really late. It came out awhile ago.)

Anyway, it's about time travel ... sort of. The book posits that "time travel" as we commonly refer to it is impossible. However, there are an infinite number of alternative universes, and it is possible to travel to them. The technology used is very similar to the "transporter" used in Star Trek. People are literally disintegrated and reintegrated in the other universe.

Yeah, I know it's fiction, but it's very interesting and believable (as are all Crichton's books.)

Tim L

I just finished reading "Timeline" by Michael Crichton. (I know. I'm really late. It came out awhile ago.)

Anyway, it's about time travel ... sort of. The book posits that "time travel" as we commonly refer to it is impossible. However, there are an infinite number of alternative universes, and it is possible to travel to them. The technology used is very similar to the "transporter" used in Star Trek. People are literally disintegrated and reintegrated in the other universe.

Yeah, I know it's fiction, but it's very interesting and believable (as are all Crichton's books.)

And in these alternative universes or dimensions supposely there is one for anything that is possible...

TripleXBullies

Sorry, I have to :whip:

We all know you'll believe anything you read in a book

Just messing with you!

Thanatos

Actually you can travel in time. Go up in a spaceship and and orbit the earth. You will age differently than a human on the surface. That's right...astronauts are time travelers!
Satellites in orbit have to be programed to correct for this.

All about gravity...

GeorgiaBelle

Actually you can travel in time. Go up in a spaceship and and orbit the earth. You will age differently than a human on the surface. That's right...astronauts are time travelers!
Satellites in orbit have to be programed to correct for this.

All about gravity...

Actually I was going to post something similar to this. I will try to find the article again, but I read that time seems to move differently in space. So you can go up there and it can be like 2 weeks for you, and when you come back to earth, like 2 years has passed. The entire concept is new to me and is kind of blowing my mind right now, so I'm still looking into it to see how it's possible. It apparently is possible, I just don't understand it.

Thanatos

Actually I was going to post something similar to this. I will try to find the article again, but I read that time seems to move differently in space. So you can go up there and it can be like 2 weeks for you, and when you come back to earth, like 2 years has passed. The entire concept is new to me and is kind of blowing my mind right now, so I'm still looking into it to see how it's possible. It apparently is possible, I just don't understand it.

Well...2 weeks does not equate 2 years. It would be more like 2 weeks in orbit would be the same as 2 weeks and some change on earth. It's all about gravity.

GeorgiaBelle

Well...2 weeks does not equate 2 years. It would be more like 2 weeks in orbit would be the same as 2 weeks and some change on earth. It's all about gravity.

Oh I knew it was a complete exaggeration. That much time couldn't possibly pass, but it got my point across. The simple fact that 2 weeks does not equal exactly 2 weeks is astounding. That "and some change" part is pretty incredible. :biggrin2:

Thanatos

Oh I knew it was a complete exaggeration. That much time couldn't possibly pass, but it got my point across. The simple fact that 2 weeks does not equal exactly 2 weeks is astounding. That "and some change" part is pretty incredible. :biggrin2:

Indeed! I find it hugely fascinating!