Times have changed

sinclair1

Drove a manual for years for my work vehicle. Growing up on a farm, learned to drive on tractors. Taught my wife to drive a manual before we were married and we still got married. Changed to autos around 2005 cause driving a manual in Atlanta traffic sucked.
That’s why I switched as well. My leg would be sore from 600 clutch presses each way in traffic.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
My Diddy taught me to drive a a stick shift. First car was a VW fast back. High school was a Nova. 3 on the tree. My son was taught on a stick shift. Hubby had a Prelude. You could go from second to 5th. That thing would fly.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Me and the bride can drive them, my two boys kinda can. My first truck was an 87 F150 5- speed. Even drove a 80’s model 3 on the tree a time or two.
When I started at the FD there were two old Fords. One a 250 that was fun and I can’t remember the other, maybe a f450. You had to Drive that one. High and low range with lots of reving to keep it going.

Reactions: Dub

Lukikus2

I think they came out with automatic transmission’s so people wouldn’t launch their boat and truck anymore. Lol.

I agree with the above. That will plum wear your knees out.

Reactions: Dub

leroy

Grew up as others said driving different trucks in hayfields, 4 speed with granny, 3 on the tree, and farmall cub, also walked many miles behind that cub holding an old mule planter. Got the cub when my dad passed and had it restored. ,,

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_063644.jpg
    IMG_20240416_063644.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Baroque Brass

I had a 69 Camaro 396 four speed. My girlfriend, now my wife, and I were at a party and I over imbibed just a wee bit. Her car was a manual shift Vega with an anemic four cylinder so she thought she was good to go on the 396. She started out and slung gravel all over over everything just trying to get moving. I’d describe the ride home if I could remember it.

Last edited:

buckmanmike

I learned how to drive in a ‘55 Ford pu, 3 on the tree and a 59 Chev pu 3 on the tree. On they Chev you could leave the ignition on, and remove the key. Me and a friend would push it out of drive way to street late at night, hit the floor starter pedal and cruise. Just the excitement of freedom. We never vandalized our or others property. Just cool we were untethered.

leroy

Also have a Farmall super A, youngest plowing corn with it years ago

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_082450_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_082450_Facebook.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240416_082458_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_082458_Facebook.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 13

flynlow

Student at the Hard Knock School of Aerodynamics
I first drove my dads Datsun pick up when I was barely able to reach the pedals after hounding my mom so bad she finally caved and let me try it. My dad had no idea how that dent get in the side of his truck to this day.

Later, when I was a teenager, he bought a used Dodge Ram with 3 on the tree from the county at an auction. I drove it all the time but it would hang up between 1st and 2nd. You'd have to get out, open the hood, grab the steering knuckle and unlock it before good to go again. That was when a whole truck load of my friends could ride in the bed going down the highway to the skating rink. Good times.

Now, as a result, there's not a car or truck on the road today that I don't think I couldn't drive if I needed to.

buckmanmike

I broke the speedometer on the 59 Chevy pu going down Cotton Hill Rd. Luckily it bounced back to zero. When my Grandfather drove it next time, I knew nothing. He was a great man.

Dub

Times have changed........wonder what percentage of us speak Spanish.....and /or Chinese ???​

Dub

Too many.

Most folks probably do okay and summon enough Spanish to order a tasty meal at their local Mexican restaurant, :rofl:

Wonder how many Americans will be able to understand shouted commands and orders from the CCP soldiers......if we don't veer off the course we seem to be on. :huh:

Lukikus2

Road side wagons everywhere selling all kinds of food now where they just used to be on job sites. Haven’t eaten at one yet. Not exactly know what I was buying is the problem.

slow motion

Road side wagons everywhere selling all kinds of food now where they just used to be on job sites. Haven’t eaten at one yet. Not exactly know what I was buying is the problem.
Used to get cold drinks but you only bought food if you were desperate. Roach Coach and boy some of them back in the day earned the moniker. Somehow they are now considered gourmet food. Times are definitely changing.

sinclair1

Used to get cold drinks but you only bought food if you were desperate. Roach Coach and boy some of them back in the day earned the moniker. Somehow they are now considered gourmet food. Times are definitely changing.
It’s changed one extra time. Roach Coach to the on site cooking wagons that put out great food cheap. Now it’s more to eat “food truck” than brick and mortar restaurants.

We went all the time when it was good food cheap, but now that it’s trendy and expensive, we just drive by and say it smells good.

Lukikus2

My problem is everything on the trailer is in Spanish. I don’t know what they are selling. See a lot of LEO’s at them.