Cost of an oil change

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Last month I bought two quarts of oil and a filter to change oil in the mower, it was $30, with the cost of a Wix filter being $11. They used to be about $6. Yesterday I bought oil and filter for the truck at a cost of $49 and change. Prices for everyday stuff have gotten outrageous. I’m starting to think I’d be better off to go to Jiffy Lube, that way I don’t have to get my old self down and up from the floor and don’t have to take the old oil to recycle.
If you are going to use any of those quick lube places, us Express Oil Change. That are more scrupulous about who they hire and how they are taught and trained.

LTZ25

I go to a place in Fayetteville across from C F A that has a good team that try to not mess up . Not cheap but nothing is nowadays , stopped at D Q on the way to lake estate got a grape mr misty it was $5.25

bighonkinjeep

Mobil 1, $29 a 5 quart jug and mobil 1 filter $11 at Wally. They claim its good for 15K but I have it serviced at manufacturer recommended intervals. Stealership charges $38 labor. Dang covers and skid plates are a PITN plus all the physical, disposal etc etc issues and so its just worth it for me.
Last time I bought what looked like exactly the same jug at advance. It was a little more expensive and then I found out was only a gallon (4 qts). It left me short and went from a little more expensive to a lot more expensive.
Yeah, wont be doin that again.

B. White

I'm using 10w30 in the F250 and the tractor and my biggest problem was finding it on the shelf in my area when I've wanted it. Three parts stores and a walmart and only one parts store had it last time. All overcharge on filters. Plan ahead for any auto parts stuff and use retailmenot or some other sight for coupons and buy online and go pick it up. I did that with brake parts the last few times and saved some.

Core Lokt

mine does too....I think I am paying $89 at the place I use and bring the K&N filter. 3 gal of Rotella is $20 a gal and so is the filter. Seems worth the $20 for them to dispose of that amount of oil and I don't have to dig it out from under my fingernails.
K&N air filters are not what they are cracked up to be. There is too much oil in the hence clogging a lot faster then you buy another high dollar filter. I ust to run them years ago until a well known mechanic told me this.

10 qts rotella, oil filter and air filter last one I paid $140. I only use the same shop and I get out and watch. They know me now and don't try to get it done in 5 minutes.

transfixer

Why u want to talk about Rosco like that.

Rosco needs to go back to McD's, where his job is pushing that button on the french fry machine , and putting more frozen fries in the basket after he dumps the cooked ones, that is the extent of his ability !

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Last month I bought two quarts of oil and a filter to change oil in the mower, it was $30, with the cost of a Wix filter being $11. They used to be about $6. Yesterday I bought oil and filter for the truck at a cost of $49 and change. Prices for everyday stuff have gotten outrageous. I’m starting to think I’d be better off to go to Jiffy Lube, that way I don’t have to get my old self down and up from the floor and don’t have to take the old oil to recycle.
One of the quick change places is almost as cheap as doing it your self these days. And on my truck you have to drop the skid plate which is easy to do. Putting it back is another story.

transfixer

K&N air filters are not what they are cracked up to be. There is too much oil in the hence clogging a lot faster then you buy another high dollar filter. I ust to run them years ago until a well known mechanic told me this.

10 qts rotella, oil filter and air filter last one I paid $140. I only use the same shop and I get out and watch. They know me now and don't try to get it done in 5 minutes.

K&N filters are not too bad on diesels, but on gas engines that use a MAF sensor they can cause problems, if they are too oily the oil accumulates on the heated filament in the mass air flow sensor, and makes it not read correctly ! many 4L60e transmissions on GM trucks have met an early failure as a result of over oiled K&N air filters

Shotgun1

I have always done my oil changes and regular maintenance all my vehicles and tractors. Starting about five years ago I started having some of it done. Can't get used to somebody else messing with my stuff. You know they won't be as careful as you are. One more of the joys of getting old. BTW I will be 88 in Feb. I should not complain. I have had a real good run. Y'all have a good day and be careful. Time to kick back with an adult beverage.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
My Son calls me the SPF Foreman. Set, point, and fuss...
Just went through that this evening. with a cousin. Wanted to put a new "doggie door" going out to his garage. Told him how to nock out the pins and to bring it to my house....yeah it took 45 mins. but I was "teaching" a newbe. He was flabergasted that cut'n from both sides lined up just perfect. facepalm:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I still do my farm equipment myself.

I pay the tire dealer to do the oil and filter change, check all fluids, rotate and balance tires, check tail lights, etc. My F150 conventional 5W20 about $60. My wife’s Lexus with synthetic about $100.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

and the oil in a K&N will ruin your sensors on the engine. MAP sensors get a dose of oil on them, and kiss them goodbye.

kayaksteve

I just had that issue on my Yota with the MAP...full of fuzz
I had the same issue. It’d get a real rough idle and check engine. I’d pull the sensor, clean and I would run fine for a few months. Someone finally told me about the K&N and I switched back to disposable. Solved that problem.

Geffellz18

Been changing my own oil since I can remember. Several pals think I’m crazy, but I want to know exactly what’s going in.
Starting a few years ago, I’ve been ordering OEM oil filters online in bulk.
Full synthetic oil with OEM filters costs about $30-$40 depending on the vehicle.
Last time I had a business change my oil, they had an oil change special for $19.99 so I said why not. Ended up costing nearly $60. Special oil required yada, yada, yada…I was like it’s 5w-20-They said the deal was only for 10w-30 oil.
What non-diesel car in the past 20+ yrs takes 10w-30?!? Never again from then on!

LTZ25

I got me a new Odyssey and it has free oil change for 2 years :p . Got 31 MPG coming to lake yesterday .