Cost of an oil change

Baroque Brass

Last month I bought two quarts of oil and a filter to change oil in the mower, it was $30, with the cost of a Wix filter being $11. They used to be about $6. Yesterday I bought oil and filter for the truck at a cost of $49 and change. Prices for everyday stuff have gotten outrageous. I’m starting to think I’d be better off to go to Jiffy Lube, that way I don’t have to get my old self down and up from the floor and don’t have to take the old oil to recycle.

K80Shooter

I furnish my oil and filter at the local oil change place, they change it and charge me 20.00 for the labor.
I agree, it's getting harder to get up and down then you still have to dispose of it somehow.

sinclair1

I am ok with the price of doing it myself. It’s the dag blamed 6 quart case and it takes 6.5 quarts:deadhorse:

dslc6487

You will pay a lot more at Jiffy Lube than the $30 you refer to.....
I am 77 with 2 knee replacements and 2 shoulder replacements. Do not get up and down like I once did. Have a friend mechanic that changes mine at a reasonable cost. Any of those quick in and out oil change businesses are going to charge you dearly....

Doboy Dawg

I am 77 with 2 knee replacements and 2 shoulder replacements. Do not get up and down like I once did. Have a friend mechanic that changes mine at a reasonable cost. Any of those quick in and out oil change businesses are going to charge you dearly....
And when Jiffy Lube or Walmart strips out your oil drain plug you’re gonna pay a whole lot more to replace the oil pan. I’ve seen it several times. If you’re lucky you have a two piece oil pan and not a single piece.

I’ve also seen them reuse the crush washers and try to seal the plug with silicone, which rarely works.

Hillbilly stalker

Well on the upside, they check your transmission fluid, wiper fluid, the gear oil in your hogs head, power steering fluid, tire air pressure and spot leaks. Things we all know we should do religiously but often don’t. So there’s that. I change my own in the yard

oldfella1962

And here is the thing about Jiffy Lube and similar places - while literally they "only have one job!" :mad: they can still mess it up. When my son-in-law was living in San Diego in a multi-story crowded apartment complex, he had no place to do his own oil change, so he had to use Jiffy Lube. After driving back and parking his truck, he noticed a small but steady leak! :oops: He immediately brought the truck back. Turns out they put a lock washer on the drain pan bolt, but the original lock washer must have been stuck onto the oil pan. :oops: Ergo Jiffy Lube ended up putting TWO lock washers on the drain pan bolt. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I can count to potato!
I myself have had Jiffy Lube make amateur mistakes and try to offer lame excuses to justify them. I bought plastic ramps and do my own changes now since I have (knock on wood!) no physical ailments that prevent me from doing so.

35 Whelen

Stopped by a "Grease Monkey" to see what they charged for a 5 quart oil change, cheapest was $59.95 and the most expensive was $109.95.

sinclair1

And here is the thing about Jiffy Lube and similar places - while literally they "only have one job!" :mad: they can still mess it up. When my son-in-law was living in San Diego in a multi-story crowded apartment complex, he had no place to do his own oil change, so he had to use Jiffy Lube. After driving back and parking his truck, he noticed a small but steady leak! :oops: He immediately brought the truck back. Turns out they put a lock washer on the drain pan bolt, but the original lock washer must have been stuck onto the oil pan. :oops: Ergo Jiffy Lube ended up putting TWO lock washers on the drain pan bolt. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I can count to potato!
I myself have had Jiffy Lube make amateur mistakes and try to offer lame excuses to justify them. I bought plastic ramps and do my own changes now since I have (knock on wood!) no physical ailments that prevent me from doing so.
I am old, but how much physical abilities do you need to lay in a creeper?

basshappy

BANNED
Most AutoZone stores accept used oil. I drain it and store it in empty oil jugs and take them to AutoZone for their recycling.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It's not the lay'n on it... it's the get'n down on it, and even worse get'n back up off it to a standing position... then the inevitable 2 days so stove up it hurts to breath while eat'n nsaids and pain killers like tic tacs.

sinclair1

It's not the lay'n on it... it's the get'n down on it, and even worse get'n back up off it to a standing position... then the inevitable 2 days so stove up it hurts to breath while eat'n nsaids and pain killers like tic tacs.
I am getting there in a hurry, but that job is the easy one for me. I am at the point where ladder work makes my feet hurt for days.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I am getting there in a hurry, but that job is the easy one for me. I am at the point where ladder work makes my feet hurt for days.
I don't do anything I can talk or pay someone else to do any more, I'm one good thump or twist away from eat'n from a straw and wear'n diapers

oldfella1962

I hear you, but some of the people here explained that they have various physical ailments. Bad shoulders/joints/etcetera. Being a military retiree - most of my service being Army - I am very lucky to have most of my body still functional in my elderly years.