Cost of an oil change

VTRman

Most AutoZone stores accept used oil. I drain it and store it in empty oil jugs and take them to AutoZone for their recycling.
All auto parts stores have them.

I do all my own oil changes for my 5 cars and trucks, 2 motorcycles and several lawn mowers.
I use store oil or STP oil from AutoZone. Sometimes I even spring for the full synthetic. $24 to $29 for a 5 quart jug.
STP filters or MicroGard from O'Reilly, usually under $6, so that brings the cost of an oil change to $29 on the low end and $35 on the high end. RockAuto also has Denso and other quality filters for cheap if you buy in bulk and spread the shipping cost out over a bunch of items. Lately I have been changing filters every second oil change.
Never had a problem.

Last edited:

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I do my own oil changes, have taught my two sons to do their own. I shop around both on line and brick and mortar for oil deals. When I catch a good sale I buy enough for several oil changes. All of ours have over 200,000 miles on them, no sense in changing what’s working. Plus, I hate paying folks for something I can do myself.

Baroque Brass

My mower uses Wix 51348 oil filters, almost $12 each at Oreilly auto parts. I can get a two pack on eBay for $15 with free shipping.

sinclair1

Back in the late 70’s we had a go cart track on the property. The neighbor way down the street said we were kicking up too much dust. Our parents bought 55gal drum of oil and make a spreader to oil our track.
It was a neighborhood effort as the dads would get drunk and race our carts :bounce:

Kowtown

they just dont know ! wait until getting off the creeper is only half the battle. then you have to find something to grab on to to pull yourself up. then they'll think back !
Fixin to build a shop with a lift...:banana:

specialk

I have watched people use it to start a fire on a brush pile...... Several times. ;)

my cousin has a fairly large steel building in VA large enough for a combine to get in.....he heats with a double 50 gal barrel heater....he saves his oil and fluids and lets it drip from a 5 gallon bucket into the bottom barrel.....keeps it toasty warm...

Redbow

An oil and filter change here on my Wife's Nissan Rogue costs us about 70 bucks. I quit changing oil in my vehicles because of my age and the ailments that go along with it. The garage we use I trust them, so far they have done a good job for us. They will not let you bring your own oil and filter you either use theirs or go someplace else.

Baroque Brass

I took the F150 to an independent shop this morning. With tire rotation the service was $89 but looking at the price for the synthetic oil and filter, it’s cheaper than I could do it myself. Since I bought tires from the ford place the rotation is free but they don’t care that they leave oily handprints on and in the truck and they scratched a wheel when they mounted the tires. They had someone fix the scratch - sort of - and I had to go back and wait for two hours while it was being done. I trust the local guy more.

transfixer

Something to keep in mind in dealing with Dealerships , they have the lowest paid guys in the shop doing tires and oil changes, they'll basically hire any warm body for those two services, they can train most anyone to do those things, sometimes there is a more experienced tech overseeing them, but not always

Kowtown

Bought my lift last month. Waiting on Ga Power to hook to the building, and I will be all set. I bought a 10k wide lift, with a 13ft height. I think I am going to like it
Start a thread when you have time.
type, cost, and pictures please.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Start a thread when you have time.
type, cost, and pictures please.
owning an industrial supply has it's advantages. I bought an Atlas 10K heavy duty 2 post. Part number ATEATTD-PV10PX. My supplier was running a special at the time, and gave me a good price along with a super nice 50 quart cooler. I am into it for less than 3600.

1698941824246.png

Big7

The Oracle
Shop around a little and you might save some on this. Personally I have found that my local Wally has by far the cheapest oil but their filters are outrageous. Conversely, my local Advanced Auto has the cheapest filters and not so much on the oil.(Fortunately, they are right across the street from each other and on the way to and from work)

Sometimes Advanced or another store will run those "oil change specials" and I can get the oil with the filter for about the same cost as buying separate from the two different stores.

And for the record, I'm responsible for 5 vehicles with my personal being an '04 F250 which takes 16qts.
Dang. 16 quarts.

Dang. facepalm: :LOL:

Big7

The Oracle
Folks might want to think about doing what I did and had excellent results.

So- with a new vehicle you obviously want to do whatever Ford, GM, Cheb'y, Ram, Toyota or whatever your particular manufacturer says in the service manual ESPECIALLY the break in oil and intervals.

Last brand new, 2 tenths of a mile vehicle I bought was a Dodge 1500 318ci Single Cab with the "sport package" geared rear end.

Did the break in with the oil they had in it and changed it all out with MOBIL 1 10W40.

Using either a MOBIL 1 or WIX filter, I would change the filter and add enough to get back to the full line thustly.

Say we are at 10,000 miles. CHANGE OIL AND FILTER.

Go to the 14000 mark. Change filter only and top off.

Go to 17000. Change filter and top off.

Go to 20000. Change oil and filter.
Start again.

That truck's odometer quit at 160 something k and I drove it 15 more years.

With the Mobil 1 and the new (rebuilt crate) engine just put in my van, I will be doing something similar but since I won't be hauling or towing much weight, the intervals will get longer.
I've got 5k on the first drink of Mobil 1 and need to make a decision soon.

Synthetic oil does not "wear out". The oil changes of today are limited to what the media in the filters can take. Oil filters do "wear out".

A lot of fleet maintenance protocol changes filter and adds oil to fill line at "X" amount of miles and doesn't ever change the oil.

Big7

The Oracle
Getting a new tire to replace one I let get low and didn't know it. (so it wore) Also getting a front end alignment and everything getting balanced.

So.... While it's on the rack and the second only oil change after the Royal Purple break in oil, putting in some factory weight spec MOBIL 1
and a WIX filter.

I BELIEVE IN MOBIL 1 and synthetic oil in general. It don't "wear out" so as long as you keep it strained (new filters) and keep water out it will last. Internal combustion engines don't get hot enough to degrade synthetics.

I used to put it in the crank case and drive shaft of two racing motorcycles. Heck, I even put it in my lawn mowers. :LOL:
20231102_134914_HDR.jpg

Last edited: