Cost of an oil change

oldfella1962

I don't do anything I can talk or pay someone else to do any more, I'm one good thump or twist away from eat'n from a straw and wear'n diapers
No kidding! I love exercise - to include outdoor work - but I stop and evaluate nearly everything I am about to do and figure out the safest way to do it, and that starts with climbing out of bed in a slow, safe manner. :unsure:

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Last month I bought two quarts of oil and a filter to change oil in the mower, it was $30, with the cost of a Wix filter being $11. They used to be about $6. Yesterday I bought oil and filter for the truck at a cost of $49 and change. Prices for everyday stuff have gotten outrageous. I’m starting to think I’d be better off to go to Jiffy Lube, that way I don’t have to get my old self down and up from the floor and don’t have to take the old oil to recycle.
Shop around a little and you might save some on this. Personally I have found that my local Wally has by far the cheapest oil but their filters are outrageous. Conversely, my local Advanced Auto has the cheapest filters and not so much on the oil.(Fortunately, they are right across the street from each other and on the way to and from work)

Sometimes Advanced or another store will run those "oil change specials" and I can get the oil with the filter for about the same cost as buying separate from the two different stores.

And for the record, I'm responsible for 5 vehicles with my personal being an '04 F250 which takes 16qts.

crackerdave

You will pay a lot more at Jiffy Lube than the $30 you refer to.....
I am 77 with 2 knee replacements and 2 shoulder replacements. Do not get up and down like I once did. Have a friend mechanic that changes mine at a reasonable cost. Any of those quick in and out oil change businesses are going to charge you dearly....
And use cheap filters that fall apart. From Carquest.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
FYI guys... a cheap filter is probably the most costly thing you can put on a vehicle when you do an oil change. Buy a good name brand filter, ( and store brand filters aren't good, for the most part they are just barely better than no filter at all) and make sure it is for your application. Ask commercial trucking companies what filters they use, and try those brands.

The black Wix filters are good, along with Fleet Guard, Baldwin and Donaldson. Most of the others are just barely there or plain junk.

Baroque Brass

I am old, but how much physical abilities do you need to lay in a creeper?
Usually when I try to get off the creeper it scoots out from under me. I can get up and down, it just takes a lot more effort than it used to. Last time the Ford place changed the oil they charged me $29 for a drain plug. Seems it’s a special plug, not the threaded ones we‘re used to. It ain’t $29 worth of special and I don’t know why it had to be replaced. Anyway, the oil I got yesterday is for my 93 Silverado, I like changing the oil in it myself.

turkeykirk

I furnish my oil and filter at the local oil change place, they change it and charge me 20.00 for the labor.
I agree, it's getting harder to get up and down then you still have to dispose of it somehow.
I remember when people used to just drain the oil on the ground. :biggrin2:

sinclair1

they just dont know ! wait until getting off the creeper is only half the battle. then you have to find something to grab on to to pull yourself up. then they'll think back !
I already do that? At the end of the oil change and after some groans, I pull myself up.
I am at the no ladder work time right now. I had to go pick up my dad when he was 86, so hopefully I can go
That long.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I ain't gonna lie, I'm lazy. I'll pay someone to do it. I've worked on enough vehicles to last a life time. I'm through with all that now. I only change my mower oil now... :bounce:

transfixer

Be very wary of the oil change places, they strip oil pan drain bolt threads out on a regular basis , but I've seen many worse situations, we've had cars towed in because someone drained the transmission fluid thinking it was the oil drain, and then overfilled the engine, I've seen this multiple times, the vehicles will usually move but won't go far, and usually the clutches are burnt in the trans as a result, oil change places have had to pay for many a transmission rebuild over the years, I've seen oil drain plugs not tightened, and they fall out two weeks later,

Keep in mind they employ the just slightly above minimum wage people, usually the ones that can't get a job where they have to use their brain !

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Be very wary of the oil change places, they strip oil pan drain bolt threads out on a regular basis , but I've seen many worse situations, we've had cars towed in because someone drained the transmission fluid thinking it was the oil drain, and then overfilled the engine, I've seen this multiple times, the vehicles will usually move but won't go far, and usually the clutches are burnt in the trans as a result, oil change places have had to pay for many a transmission rebuild over the years, I've seen oil drain plugs not tightened, and they fall out two weeks later,

Keep in mind they employ the just slightly above minimum wage people, usually the ones that can't get a job where they have to use their brain !
Why u want to talk about Rosco like that.

specialk

I ain't gonna lie, I'm lazy. I'll pay someone to do it. I've worked on enough vehicles to last a life time. I'm through with all that now. I only change my mower oil now... :bounce:

Son does that...tractor too....cant do as much physical stuff anymore, but my supervisory skills have gotten 100% better!