To me this is a thing of beauty

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. I grew up plowing and stuff with horses and mules. My dad logged with them, and oxen, too. My neighbor still has a nice matched team of Morgans, and a nice matched team of mules.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
When I lived in Tennessee the folks I hung out with(friends) were all into Mules. Whether it was riding them, wagon teams, working them, etc., it was a lot of fun going on some of their activities with them.

And yes, I've been thrown by a mule. :rofl:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
They are sure footed in the hills on narrow steep trails too. Walk up to a fence or creek and leap over it from a stand still also.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Plenty of mules down here in plantation country.

strothershwacker

Rode a wagon behind a team of mules down a dirt road in the moonlight one summer night. With the gray shadows all round and only the sounds hoofs hitting the ground, the slight rattle of the tac, squeek of the wagon and the smell of honeysuckle in the air, with the taste of whiskey on my tongue, for a brief moment I thought I had discovered time travel. The more things change, the more I think we orta leave well nuff alone.

Gary Mercer

Rode a wagon behind a team of mules down a dirt road in the moonlight one summer night. With the gray shadows all round and only the sounds hoofs hitting the ground, the slight rattle of the tac, squeek of the wagon and the smell of honeysuckle in the air, with the taste of whiskey on my tongue, for a brief moment I thought I had discovered time travel. The more things change, the more I think we orta leave well nuff alone.
MAN THAT IS PURE POETRY!!!
Mules are smarter than horses, and they work, well, kinda like mules.
Contemplate the poor mule:
"No pride of ancestry, and no hope for posterity."

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
When we are young and raised around mules in a farm setting, the first thoughts of some of us is to get off the farm as quick as we could. I spent the next thirty years working way to much chasing a dollar before getting smart enough to realize I shouldn’t have left the farm. Growing old on a farm is a better life to me than living in any city.

Hillbilly stalker

I grew up " geeing & hawing" a team. My uncle and daddy cut timber down in the holler and pulled it up the side of the hill, had to chalk it off several times to keep it from pulling the team over. A man with a portable saw mill cut the lumber up for us to build our house with. My Uncle still has a team of Belgium draft horses, paw paw always preferred a team of mules...more sure footed but they would wait 5 years for a chance to kick your brains out. People back home still coon hunt and squirrel hunt off mules some. Lay a blanket on the fence and they will jump over. I ain't never seen a single tree like they used in the video tho.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member