To piggyback Mrs hornett22’s thread. What was some of your elders sayings?

bighonkinjeep

"Boy, You could break an anvil with a rubber hammer." (as a kid if I didnt break it I could probably at least lose it. Especially tools.)

"Son that pocket knife is the most expensive least effective screwdriver you'll ever own"
He was right.

When something is going less than ideal such as something wont go back together, fish aint biting mower wont run etc. etc.
"You aint holding your mouth right."

Daddy working while someone else watches or he's needing help = "HEY! " The fish are bitin over here!"

To be sure of something. = "I'd bet a dollar against a donut." Yeah it made a lot more sense back then.

Something he really liked or was going well = Thats gooder n grits.

" Have you seen well enough?"
And that meant leave it alone

A frog strangler= Bad storm

Madder n a bobcat in a tote sack.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
"Son that pocket knife is the most expensive least effective screwdriver you'll ever own"
He was right.
My Dad's version was "Every tool has a job and every job has a tool." If he caught you open'n a paint can with a flat head screwdriver he'd backhand you across the room... not just me.. seen him do it to my "growed" cousins.. learned a lot watch'n them mess up.

oldfella1962

My Dad's version was "Every tool has a job and every job has a tool." If he caught you open'n a paint can with a flat head screwdriver he'd backhand you across the room... not just me.. seen him do it to my "growed" cousins.. learned a lot watch'n them mess up.
So what tool should you use to open a paint can? :unsure:

I've always used a flat head screwdriver or a butterknife.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
So what tool should you use to open a paint can? :unsure:

I've always used a flat head screwdriver or a butterknife.
There are several types now, but this is the only one he'd accept back then.

Paint can key.png

Oldstick

"Mites grow on chickens." Whenever you try to get away with answering "I might" to some question.

"They cuttin' the shine" about young'ns misbehaving. Possibly followed by some of those belt removal sounds from the other thread.

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
"He don't call a spade a spade, he calls it a freakin' shovel."

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
When we told H22s grandma we were gonna have a baby, she told H22 you have no idea how your life is about to change. Boy was she right. In a good way.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Don’t count your chickens before they hatch

You gonna have to lick that calf over

Only way to poison a hog is with glass

One teat is for the calf the other 3 for us.

White Horse

My maternal grandparents said “ride on the truck” instead of ride in the truck. That came from riding on wagons when they were young.

My paternal grandfather was born in 1895, and lived till 1986. He saw a lot of change in his life!

He called pine cones “pine burrs.” He’d tell me “son, go get a heap of pine burrs for me,” meaning an indeterminate but large amount.

He called a bass a “trout.”

He used some of the sayings already mentioned, like calling a stranger “jasper.” He also called anyone who acted up a “rascal.”

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My maternal grandparents said “ride on the truck” instead of ride in the truck. That came from riding on wagons when they were young.

My paternal grandfather was born in 1895, and lived till 1986. He saw a lot of change in his life!

He called pine cones “pine burrs.” He’d tell me “son, go get a heap of pine burrs for me,” meaning an indeterminate but large amount.

He called a bass a “trout.”

He used some of the sayings already mentioned, like calling a stranger “jasper.” He also called anyone who acted up a “rascal.”

My old Granddaddy called bass trout too. And I still use the terms pine burrs and directly.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Grandpa would say of people he didnt trust, that they were to wide between the eyes.

fireman32

My wife’s uncle Gene talked about syrup on a homemade biscuit once. He said put that all on a plate then sit down and appreciate yoself.

fireman32

My late pan in law whenever something was difficult would say, that’s teejus, like eating poop with a knitting needle