To piggyback Mrs hornett22’s thread. What was some of your elders sayings?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Grandpa, a stitch in time saves nine

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Pa in law again. That’s like Lazarus, it stinketh.

Lindseys Grandpa

My Grandmother when I would say something about wanting to be older "don't wish your life away "
My Uncle talking about people's strange ways " all folks are critters "

hopper

"Go to sleep son, for it'll soon be day"
My Granny used to tell me that when I'd stay with her.
This was normally before I would listen to her kneel & pray.
Had an Aunt use to tell us to be quite and go to bed or the Devils gonna get ya. I would ask if we could leave a light on and she'd say no it would make it easier for him to find ya.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Don.t make them go away mad...just go away.Talking about business dealing gon bad.....Dad.

oldfella1962

When I was a youngun it was the picture show, not the movie theatre. Even though I haven`t set foot in one but once in over 50 years now, it`s still the picture show.
Fifty years? I don't go too often, but fifty years is a long time to go waiting on a movie worth seeing being released.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Fifty years? I don't go too often, but fifty years is a long time to go waiting on a movie worth seeing being released.

The movie we went to see was Apocalypto. Well worth it too. That was a good movie, and very historically accurate.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Not quite 50 years, but the last movie I went to see was ('84/'85) "Iron Eagle" which explains why I haven't been back.

oldfella1962

The movie we went to see was Apocalypto. Well worth it too. That was a good movie, and very historically accurate.
No doubt! If you are only going to see one movie, that's a good choice. My son owns it - I've seen it twice now. The ending is pretty sad - that Spanish landing party is about to bring trouble like nobody can even imagine. :(

REDMOND1858

“If I ordered a rail car full of stupid (insert other words for stupid) and he’s all that came on it, I’d have my moneys worth”

REDMOND1858

When referring to someone who wasnt all that smart some of the older men would say “I think that fellas uncle and daddy is the same fella”

35 Whelen

Paternal grandmother:
"I'm gonna box your ears if you don't behave."
Paternal grandfather:
"Worthless as teats on a boar hog." Or "Worthless as a whistle on a kraut cutter."

oldfella1962

Paternal grandmother:
"I'm gonna box your ears if you don't behave."
Paternal grandfather:
"Worthless as teats on a boar hog." Or "Worthless as a whistle on a kraut cutter."
I heard that second saying a lot, but it wasn't a boar hog it was a pipe wrench.

Oldstick

My Granny born 1899. "If you want to catch a bird, you have to sprinkle a little salt on his tail". We believed it as small kids, then later we realized that getting close enough to do that was the subtle joke she was conveying to us. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: